Greasy Lake Community

Bruce nods as Obama implies his fans are racists

Love the music and the legacy with all my heart and soul, but Bruce the man constantly disappoints. Even those of you on the left should be repulsed at this implication that Bruce’s white fans are inherently racist. Insanity. 

https://www.westernjournal.com/bruce-springsteen-just-nods-silence-obama-calls-fans-vile-racists/?ff_source=conservativenewsapp&ff_medium=westernjournalism&ff_campaign=newsleap&ff_content=2021-10-28

Bruce Springsteen Just Nods in Silence as Obama Calls His Fans Vile Racists

By Jack Gist  October 28, 2021 at 9:06am 

Leftists talk about unity and then routinely sow seeds of discontent. It’s a habit they don’t want to break. They want no peace.

Former President Barrack Obama and rocker Bruce Springsteen casually fell into the habit in a recent interview on CBS.

In the interview, Obama said, “In an ideal world, what Bruce and Clarence portrayed on stage was essentially a reconciliation, right? And redemption. But most of your audiences were primarily white. And they can love Clarence when he’s on stage, but if they ran into him in a bar, suddenly the N-word comes out.”

Springsteen’s reply was a nod of the head and “Yeah,” as if most of his fans are (or were) vile racists.

Clarence Clemons, known as “The Big Man,” was a highly talented saxophonist who played with Springsteen’s E Street Band from 1972 until his death in 2011. He also put out several solo albums and had a hit single, “You’re a Friend of Mine,” with Jackson Browne. Furthermore, he played a wonderful rendition of the national anthem.

Isn’t it a wonder that Clemons achieved all of this in a rabidly racist society? I wonder if Clemons would appreciate being touted for the color of his skin rather than his talent as a musician.

The U.S. has had problems with racism in the past, and the problem, hopefully to a lesser and lesser extent, will continue in the future. We live in a fallen world, and there will always be dark forces lurking about. But there is plenty of good in the world as well.

To suggest that a “primarily white audience” would automatically use the N-word if Clemons walked into a bar is absurd. If the word wasemployed, it would have had to have been whispered to avoid the wrath of the overwhelming number of fans — white, black, brown or purple — who would have rushed to Clemons’ defense.

If so many white people were racists, Springsteen would have been pressured to kick Clemons out of the band. For Springsteen to throw his fans under the bus with a nod of the head at the behest of race-baiting Barrack Obama is beyond insulting. It is, in fact, racist against white and black people because it stereotypes human beings by the color of their skin. It is racist to all people. We all have skin. All skin has color.

Shame on Springsteen and Obama.

Remember, though, in a fallen world, we are all guilty to some extent. It can be hard to admit, but it’s true.

People like Barrack Obama and Bruce Springsteen act as if they are above all guilt, above us all, with their habitual virtue signaling. In reality, they are purveyors of hatred and division. They want no peace. There’s nothing for them to gain there.

Leftists project themselves as the would-be the rulers of a coming utopia. The kind of behavior shown here by Obama and Springsteen can lead only to perdition.

Don’t follow them into the pit.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Looks like a solid middle of the road publication. Sadly i will admit that if i was walking the streets of Manhattan at midnight and saw Clarence walking towards me i would probably walk across the street. Of course i might do the same if i saw a group of rowdy teenagers also.

Solid middle of the road publication?  You've got to be kidding.  This looks as far right as it comes, especially using a tweet from an anchor from the wack job Newsmax channel who specialize in conspiracy theories and lies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Looks like a solid middle of the road publication. Sadly i will admit that if i was walking the streets of Manhattan at midnight and saw Clarence walking towards me i would probably walk across the street. Of course i might do the same if i saw a group of rowdy teenagers also.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade. So walk tall. Or baby, don't walk at all. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, gsquare said:

Solid middle of the road publication?  You've got to be kidding.  This looks as far right as it comes, especially using a tweet from an anchor from the wack job Newsmax channel who specialize in conspiracy theories and lies.

It is defiantly a rightwing publication! And Newsmax is even more rightwing. But I did just watch Obama say it and Bruce agreed to it. So is it not True because a rightwing publication put it out.  

Watch the piece.   It broke my heart.  It doesn’t matter at all who’s reporting it… watch it and then tell your lying eyes you don’t see it.    The past President knows exactly what is he saying.  It was a telling show of contempt for us - you and me who were there supporting Bruce all these years.   And Bruce listened to that hateful statement and agreed - my heart broke. 

Easy on the political stuff, or this thread goes away like all topics on politics - but please do a tiny bit of research into the context of the conversation, the video doesn't exactly spin it fairly.  Presenting it this way is a wind up, no more than that.  1) Obama didn't say "vile racists" and 2) Bruce didn't agree with something that was never said.

And if anyone wants to argue that Newsmax is fair in their coverage of Bruce or Obama, they need to find a political forum somewhere else

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Easy on the political stuff, or this thread goes away like all topics on politics - but please do a tiny bit of research into the context of the conversation, the video doesn't exactly spin it fairly.  Presenting it this way is a wind up, no more than that.  1) Obama didn't say "vile racists" and 2) Bruce didn't agree with something that was never said.

And if anyone wants to argue that Newsmax is fair in their coverage of Bruce or Obama, they need to find a political forum somewhere else

Been waiting you for you Mikey ....a solid pre-emptive strike ..... I had already grabbed my popcorn

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Yep.  And here's the entire segment, not a 20 second clip.

Bruce Springsteen, Barack Obama Talk Being ‘Outsiders,’ Polarization of America on ‘CBS Sunday Morning’

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, catfish said:

Just give it time folks and that uninformed idiot Dave Marsh will be shouting from the roof tops up and repeating what he said in 92 about you lot .

Dave Marsh is an insufferable buffoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsquare said:

It’s cool to be an outsider. It helps your public image to have been an outsider when you were young. I’m not really sure how much they were truly “outsiders” but if I had to guess, Bruce was probably more of an outsider where he grew up than Obama was. Everybody is an outsider to some degree I suppose.

Forget the politics of this for a moment (or forever if this thread is going to last) but the part that had me shaking my head was when Obama was talking about not having a father in his life except for one month and then saying Bruce essentially had to same experience. Bruce shakes his head along at that as well (watched this Sunday so please correct me if I’ve gotten this incorrect). Fact of the matter is that Bruce had a father in his house, every day from the sounds of it. Father of the year? No, I would guess not. Non-existent? Absolutely not. Honest to god I am truly sick of Bruce talking about his deceased dad and nodding along to the idea that he was essentially the same as Obama’s absentee father. And he’s made a shitload of money off his mentally ill father. It’s…. I don’t even know the right word for it….. petty? Opportunistic? Ignorant? Somebody help me out with the right word (or words). It really rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Sorry, but whatever your feelings about Newsmax are there is no spinning this and blaming it on right wing distortion etc. This was not taken out of context and it doesn’t matter who published it. It’s right there. Bruce agrees with the sentiment that his fans would see Clarence and call him the N-word. Not very nuanced

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jerm23 said:

Love the music and the legacy with all my heart and soul, but Bruce the man constantly disappoints. Even those of you on the left should be repulsed at this implication that Bruce’s white fans are inherently racist. Insanity. 

https://www.westernjournal.com/bruce-springsteen-just-nods-silence-obama-calls-fans-vile-racists/?ff_source=conservativenewsapp&ff_medium=westernjournalism&ff_campaign=newsleap&ff_content=2021-10-28

Bruce Springsteen Just Nods in Silence as Obama Calls His Fans Vile Racists

By Jack Gist  October 28, 2021 at 9:06am 

Leftists talk about unity and then routinely sow seeds of discontent. It’s a habit they don’t want to break. They want no peace.

Former President Barrack Obama and rocker Bruce Springsteen casually fell into the habit in a recent interview on CBS.

In the interview, Obama said, “In an ideal world, what Bruce and Clarence portrayed on stage was essentially a reconciliation, right? And redemption. But most of your audiences were primarily white. And they can love Clarence when he’s on stage, but if they ran into him in a bar, suddenly the N-word comes out.”

Springsteen’s reply was a nod of the head and “Yeah,” as if most of his fans are (or were) vile racists.

Clarence Clemons, known as “The Big Man,” was a highly talented saxophonist who played with Springsteen’s E Street Band from 1972 until his death in 2011. He also put out several solo albums and had a hit single, “You’re a Friend of Mine,” with Jackson Browne. Furthermore, he played a wonderful rendition of the national anthem.

Isn’t it a wonder that Clemons achieved all of this in a rabidly racist society? I wonder if Clemons would appreciate being touted for the color of his skin rather than his talent as a musician.

The U.S. has had problems with racism in the past, and the problem, hopefully to a lesser and lesser extent, will continue in the future. We live in a fallen world, and there will always be dark forces lurking about. But there is plenty of good in the world as well.

To suggest that a “primarily white audience” would automatically use the N-word if Clemons walked into a bar is absurd. If the word wasemployed, it would have had to have been whispered to avoid the wrath of the overwhelming number of fans — white, black, brown or purple — who would have rushed to Clemons’ defense.

If so many white people were racists, Springsteen would have been pressured to kick Clemons out of the band. For Springsteen to throw his fans under the bus with a nod of the head at the behest of race-baiting Barrack Obama is beyond insulting. It is, in fact, racist against white and black people because it stereotypes human beings by the color of their skin. It is racist to all people. We all have skin. All skin has color.

Shame on Springsteen and Obama.

Remember, though, in a fallen world, we are all guilty to some extent. It can be hard to admit, but it’s true.

People like Barrack Obama and Bruce Springsteen act as if they are above all guilt, above us all, with their habitual virtue signaling. In reality, they are purveyors of hatred and division. They want no peace. There’s nothing for them to gain there.

Leftists project themselves as the would-be the rulers of a coming utopia. The kind of behavior shown here by Obama and Springsteen can lead only to perdition.

Don’t follow them into the pit.

I’m so glad you posted this, and it’s so unfortunate that most if not all of these points are true.  Musically, Bruce and the ESB’s recordings and performances are unparalleled greatness (my fandom will not falter!), but yes Bruce the man lost me over the last decade or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Marsh states in one of his books that some time (pre BITUSA) somebody had commented that there were more black people in the E Street Band than there were in his audience. Part of Bruce's response was to hire Arthur Baker to make those 12" mixes of those first three singles.

chill the fuck out folks

i just watched the segment posted by @gsquare

i dont see a problem here

stop over thinking shit

a few months back i remember  listening to that particular pod cast and i thougherly enjoyed it

i may like President Obama (very much) but make no mistake i know what side of the political divide my bread is buttered on and im leaning hard to the right these last few years

Am i a racist ?

We'll im no saint, i grew up WASP in whiteville

If i saw C walking down the street id say hello, because i worked in Porirua and there were plenty of big black men there, would i say hello to a big black man in a dark ally in NYC .....what am i doing in a dark alley ?

Still i dont have a problem with Bruce voicing his opinions, its called freedom of exspression, it's what we all say we beleave in

Also can i just add, as someone who had a very difficult relationship with one parent, who over many years continues to draw on advice, wisdom and empathy from Bruce's stories and lyrics about his dad, i would like to point out i personally has good days and bad days, days where it dawns on you what was going on with that parent - like a lightening bolt that literly knocks one of one's feet -and other days where you're still the misunderstood angry kid in pain.

also fucking cool car !

hope a picture like that is in the book

• Like 5

I'd respect Bruce if he campaigned on individual issues, even if I didn't necessarily agree with his viewpoints. But cosying up to a former President and a political machine doesn't feel like principle to me but opportunism - a way to make more money by opening more doors to the powerful. Sorry but I think the whole concept of this book stinks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, philipboyle said:

Did anyone actually listen to what the man said? He didn't say the fans were racist. He just said that Clarence would be treated differently as a normal black man in everyday life, which is undoubtedly true. Do people now want to cancel Obama and Bruce? 

If the clip is correct, he says that if 'they' met Clarence in a bar, the n word would come out.

Wouldn't 'they' be racist if they did that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Won't read the book, and have never seen/heard a minute of their bromance podcast things. Nor am I likely to.

They can live their lives as they choose, but as very rich, powerful and influential people I think those assets could be put to better use.

No Nukes is around the corner. Praise the Lord and pass the houmous. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

chill the fuck out folks

i just watched the segment posted by @gsquare

i dont see a problem here

stop over thinking shit

a few months back i remember  listening to that particular pod cast and i thougherly enjoyed it

i may like President Obama (very much) but make no mistake i know what side of the political divide my bread is buttered on and im leaning hard to the right these last few years

Am i a racist ?

We'll im no saint, i grew up WASP in whiteville

If i saw C walking down the street id say hello, because i worked in Porirua and there were plenty of big black men there, would i say hello to a big black man in a dark ally in NYC .....what am i doing in a dark alley ?

Still i dont have a problem with Bruce voicing his opinions, its called freedom of exspression, it's what we all say we beleave in

Also can i just add, as someone who had a very difficult relationship with one parent, who over many years continues to draw on advice, wisdom and empathy from Bruce's stories and lyrics about his dad, i would like to point out i personally has good days and bad days, days where it dawns on you what was going on with that parent - like a lightening bolt that literly knocks one of one's feet -and other days where you're still the misunderstood angry kid in pain.

also fucking cool car !

hope a picture like that is in the book

Are you capitalizing off of your difficult relationship with your parent? Bruce certainly is. He’s taking that difficult relationship straight to the fat bankers he likes to rail against. 
It just sits poorly with me. He acknowledges his father’s mental issues but still uses it to make his living. Isn’t that relationship essentially a good chunk of his profitable Broadway show? 
His father is dead, for many years now. I wish he could just let his father rest In peace, but he refuses to do so. No parent in the world is perfect. Not his, not mine, now him, not me, nobody. Him continually talking about his mentally ill father’s shortcomings as a father is akin to complaining that a guy with one leg isn’t a fast runner. 

• Like 5