Greasy Lake Community

Badlands - No Nukes (official video You tube)

14 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Look at one of Olli’s for example from 2016. Much, much better. 

But can you really compare a video from 1979 with a video from 2016? (in terms of development of technology in those 37 years)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Fantastic footage.

Yes! Badlands, like the great song it is. Before it became a sort of party song in the Reunion Era with all those false starts and endings.

A video to show to non-believers what Bruce Springsteen & The ESB is all about.

• Like 4

So happy to see the band in performance, with Danny bopping away at his keyboard and Clarence in fine fettle, and the whole band propelling the song along so gloriously. It's pretty weird seeing such a sedate audience, of course, but that is what it was like to go to a concert then. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, estband said:

Not my observations, but some food for thought:

Some glaring anomalies:

Max's drumming around 1:16-1:24
Bruce as he moves from the mic 2:15
Max keeps pounding his hi-hats around 3:28
Bruce's vocals the next 25 seconds, especially:
Bruce's lips aren't moving as he steps from the mic yet I hear him singing at 3:51

This isn't just bad editing, these are new recordings.

Would explain why they chose to "hide" the NUGS version.

Max reminded me a little of Animal from The Muppets there ..... I loved it

• Haha 1

The classic line-up of the E Street Band, hitting the stage like a hurricane after being holed up in the studio for six months...legendary concerts indeed.  This film looks beautiful and I can't wait for November 19th.

Combined with the TIES box, and all of the 80/81 shows from NUGS, the last six years have been a real motherload for RIVER era freaks (like me):

*Tempe video
*The Ties That Bind album
*Outtakes disc (though excluding "Bring On the Night" was a major boner)
*Rehearsal footage
*Beautifully lavish book with essential essay by Mikal Gilmore

And, for what it's worth, The River: Single Album is a healthy dose of revisionism on INC's part. In his book The E Street Shuffle (for which he had access to the studio logs) Clinton Heylin refers to the album as The Ties That Bind. Mikal Gilmore, in his essay that was part of the book accompanying this very box set, called it The Ties That Bind. Bruce and Company were clearly chafed that bootleggers beat them to the punch when a CD of the same name hit the market in 1994.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 9:07 PM, Promise61 said:

Fantastic footage. Crystal clear mix, you can hear everyone and every instrument right down to C's tambourine.

Excited much.

Dang !

.trying tp hold off watching it till i have it in my small sweaty paw but now i gotta go check it out 

21 hours ago, Lampi said:

But can you really compare a video from 1979 with a video from 2016? (in terms of development of technology in those 37 years)

I don't know :lol::lol::lol:

Back in 1978 i took pretty awsome pictures with an old boc brownie- nowdays all my pictures turn out crap 

But, in this case you are right (as usual i might add)

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

you are right (as usual i might add)

I don't think you think I am right when I suggest to delete pictures of A Certain New Jersey Man In An Orange Swimming Suit from your phone to make more room for Nugs shows.

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:17 PM, G-Man said:

The mix on LINYC is awful.  No feeling of being “in the room.”  Terribly muted audience sound.  Both mixed by Clearmountain.

While I do think that when Clearmountain is "ON", he is untouchable as a live mixer but he is not infallible and I am among those who cannot stand the LINYC mix and actually prefer Altschiller's mix overall despite the flaws in it.  I was so disappointed with LINYC when it came out I don't think I have played it more than once or twice and have no desire to ever listen to it again.  I listen to Hyde Park way more.

That being said his Nugs release of 9/20 and his mix of Tempe 1980 are by far the best sounding of the live archival releases to date in my opinion with Apollo 2012 right behind. I just don't care for that show overall so it doesn't get much play but it does sound good.

Maybe the 5.1 mix will sound better and have more ambience and space in the sound to not feel so claustrophobic and "in the room" feel.  The clarity of the instruments and vocals are stellar, the mix just needs to breathe a little more for me.

1 hour ago, unclejosh said:

While I do think that when Clearmountain is "ON", he is untouchable as a live mixer but he is not infallible and I am among those who cannot stand the LINYC mix and actually prefer Altschiller's mix overall despite the flaws in it.

...and Tempe 1980 are by far the best sounding of the live archival releases to date in my opinion with Apollo 2012 right behind.

I agree about LINYC, for me it's always sounded "dry".  It's like there's Bruce's vocals right at the front of the mix...and then there's everything else.

The Tempe NUGS release is pretty damn fantastic but I don't understand why Max's hi-hat all but disappears during the slow songs.  WTF?   

9 hours ago, Lampi said:

I don't think you think I am right when I suggest to delete pictures of A Certain New Jersey Man In An Orange Swimming Suit from your phone to make more room for Nugs shows.

I might make that photo my xmas card this year :lol:

After the pandemic is over, you should come visit us in tomorrow land 

On 10/29/2021 at 1:28 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

I doubt that the blu ray / dvd will be out of sync like that. At least I hope not. The filming though is no better than a fan made effort. 
Look at one of Olli’s for example from 2016. Much, much better. 

I'll take this 1979 clip over any 2016 shot. Every. Time.

• Like 1