Greasy Lake Community

Bruce in Talks to Sell His Music Catalog?

1 minute ago, Sean McNeill said:

That seems a little too simple for folks on here.

But true.

It doesn't matter folks ... let Bruce take care of it.

The promise was broken long ago - and we're still here. We love the man.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

12 minutes ago, Sean McNeill said:

That seems a little too simple for folks on here.

Well, it seems that reading what other people write before commenting is probably getting a bit too difficult as well.

16 minutes ago, Frank said:

Well, it seems that reading what other people write before commenting is probably getting a bit too difficult as well.

The thread does indeed make for interesting reading & it's clear that you would feel somewhat let down (or disappointed) with this move. In fact its admirable that you care about his legacy the way you do.

It doesn't however alter the fact that a singer, songwriter, performer we happen to love is in talks to sell his music.

Bruce has made many decisions, esp in his recent life which I don't agree with or understand however I respect the fact that he is big & ugly enough to make his own decisions. It will never stop me loving his music. It's been & will continue to be the soundtrack to my life.

I have never been sure how I would feel about Bruce the person. Think he'd be hard work.

• Like 4

If I hear Born to Run someday on a car Ad it will not take away one memory or moment in my own life where that song was playing. If I hear Thunder Road, The Rising or others on a commercial it will not crush any moment I lived through where that song was playing. 

If in two years I am in the beach with my family and Sherry Darling comes on I will still hold that memory dear regardless of if that song is used three years from now to pitch a product.  These songs are tracks to my life and the great times and the sad times I've lived. They have been my friend, my shoulder to lean on, my party partner and offered me guidance.

I won't let that change just because I may hear a tune in a movie or to pitch deodorant.  I'd suggest you don't let that happen to you either. You may think Bruce is turning his back in some way here. I'd suggest the other way around. All the years, moments, concerts are there still and can still happen because in the end it's the songs not the guy. Songs last forever. Keep making memories with them. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

58 minutes ago, MadamMarie said:

I too agree this is a form of planning, estate or otherwise, that everyone should do.  The fact that he is beloved by millions should not come into it. His family, as all of ours, is the important part.  

Well, I would leave the “Bruce-good-husband-&-caring-father” out of the equation here. It might be the case, of course, but it’s not required. I mean, if it were, we would have seen every aging musician getting rid of their catalogue for the last twenty years by now. Selling (and buying) a celebrated artist catalogue is a extremely recent trend, directly connected with - and fully justified by - the virtual collapse of revenues in the music business after music went digital. As basically everyone on this thread have stated, it’s a wise decision, commercially speaking (as that “sooner or later” line in “The Big Muddy” goes…). It’s nearly a half a billion deal after all. But it would be naive to think Bruce is selling his catalogue now for his family’s sake.    

As I said upstairs ^ ,  I think it's a smart move. But I also think that it's an indication that his songwriting well has run dry. He's telegraphed that to us with the release of old songs and projects these last few years, but in my mind the sale of his life's work to Sony confirms it.

We'll see.

• Like 1

The to me is sell it. Make the money, I have no problem with that. Make the Jeep commercial, I have no problem with that. But don’t do it and still try to play yourself off as a blue collar dude when you’re selling your music for almost half a billion dollars and seeking yourself to help Jeep sell cars.  At the end of the day, it was all just a pose and part of the magic trick he talks about. Doesn’t make any difference in listening to his music for me. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

I wonder who else is getting a cut of the sale proceeds? Clearly, Bruce and his family are never going to run short of money but people on the periphery of his circle aren't so fortunate. It is likely not Bruce who cares much for the extra hundreds of millions.

21 hours ago, Frank said:

Well, for sure your remember Bruce’s legal suit to control his catalogue, and the whole integrity issue about using songs in commercials etc.

It doesn't necessarily open the flood gates for commercials. That would likely be part of the negotiated deal.  Neil Young sold a part of his catalogue and he's always been outspoken about music in ads.

• Like 1

The only concern I have about him selling his music and Sony licensing it to anybody for any purpose is the possibility of God-awful slow covers such as in this advert below:

The idea of a Paloma Faith-type singing "The Promised Land", for example, is a horrible thought for me. Aside from that it's nice Bruce is setting his family up for generations. 

3 hours ago, badlands78 said:

But I thought taxes is the route through which the rich pay their "fair share".

As long as the "rich" is not Bruce I guess.B)

Accountants are know for performing magic tricks as well.

• Like 2

I can understand that those saying they won't be able to listen to the songs again but the intrinsic art will still be there in the songs.

The art may be diminished in people's eyes (ears) if an individual song gets ludicrously extensive exposure through an advert - I can relate to this, most notably when Nickelback licensed 'Rockstar' to DFS and it was played to death over footage of hideously perfect families posing next to sofas, and for me this ruined the inherent listening pleasure. 

But that said, I reiterate that the art will still be art

6 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

It doesn't necessarily open the flood gates for commercials. That would likely be part of the negotiated deal.  Neil Young sold a part of his catalogue and he's always been outspoken about music in ads.

Well, personally I’ve never been bothered by music used in commercials or in films. It’s the artist’s choice, after all. Rather, it’s the idea of an artist suddenly doing away with his whole career intellectual property for money that I find appalling. I know is only business, and “It’s only rock n’ roll”, but as somebody said, “it feels like love”. Or it used to.

• Like 1

I have to admit to thinking "Like a Rock" was one of Bob Seger's best written songs.  So much of that song rang true at the time, and it immediately became a favorite.  However, after hearing clips of the song on commercials during almost every sporting event for what seems like an eternity, that has changed how I feel about it.

I would hope Bruce wouldn't allow Verizon to slaughter "The Rising" by allowing any possible use of his songs through this deal, but again we don't really get to decide and so far at least, he hasn't called me for my opinion.

But again, I expect the content of the agreement will include Bruce maintaining control for the remainder of his life.  What happens after, well we can only speculate.  As for consolidating his single greatest asset (his music catalog) and getting it converted into cash, that makes solid business sense.  It also frees up his wife and children from managing that asset after his death, or making decisions after his death that he can plan for right now.

34 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

But again, I expect the content of the agreement will include Bruce maintaining control for the remainder of his life. 

I have no clue about it (though Dylan’s deal may shed some light on the whole issue), but I seriously doubt someone would agree spending half a billion today for a ´frozen asset’ they might end up controlling only in two+ decade time (and whose value is inevitably bound to decline). No rational investor would do that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

It also frees up his wife and children from managing that asset after his death, or making decisions after his death that he can plan for right now.

Why would his wife and children need to manage it after his death though? Couldn’t he direct his estate to pay someone to manage it just like he pays Landau and Barbara Carr now?

He can and will do as he pleases of course it just feels kind of sad after all he went through back in the day to regain control of his catalogue that he would relinquish control again. I suppose this time though he isn’t a naive young artist being taken advantage of and knows exactly what he is doing.  

If it is to avoid taxes, I understand it on some level but it would break my heart a little. How much money does one man and his family need?  I would be disappointed to find out he was as greedy as all of the folks he’s railed against that are on the conservative side of the political spectrum.