Greasy Lake Community

Full albums live video playlist project- For the fans

Hi all on Greasy Lake. This is my first post on this board. I have been a member on the Backstreets forum for over 14 years now, and been a Bruce fan for almost as long. I have been working on putting together a Youtube playlist of live performances of songs from the albums. Pro shot, official release, or audience shot, the best available performances on video of each song on each album. I'd like to try and get the best possible result for this by engaging with fans across the Springsteen online community. On Backstreets, I have been running polls on songs and asking what version they feel is superior. I ran a poll for Lost In The Flood New York 2000 versus Buffalo 2009, and New York won. This should be a playlist for the fans and choices selected by fans. Everyone has different opinions on the best performance, but hopefully we can all come to a consensus and pick a performance that best represents that song live on video. The first two albums are up. I am currently taking a poll on New York City Serenade which I will do here shortly. Here is the link to the playlist. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

Very cool idea ..... We could use some input from Paolo :)

I am guessing there have been a lot of great versions ......But 12 years ago last night i heard an Incident that i never wanted to end.

This is a decent boot ....But my god the sound in that place that night ..... One of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard live

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

This is about greatest versions on video?

So a 'greatest performance ever' on grainy video will lose to a 'great but not greatest version ever'  [in terms of performance]  which has superb video quality? No chance for Passaic 1 and Passaic 2 in black-and-white.

Not saying this is a good or a bad thing, just something different.

9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't know exactly what you want here. But I believe this is the best Saint ever recorded! 

Wow Jimmy. Thats a really great performance of Saint! Great story and intro building up. Very inspired vocal from Bruce. 

I will explain what I personally look for that helps me to pick the overall best performance that represents the songs live in another post. 

7 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

Very cool idea ..... We could use some input from Paolo :)

I am guessing there have been a lot of great versions ......But 12 years ago last night i heard an Incident that i never wanted to end.

This is a decent boot ....But my god the sound in that place that night ..... One of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard live

ENJ if you check my playlist, you will see I have indeed included that version :) And its a video I found dubbed with the official audio, so its the best possible version! 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 minutes ago, Young Scott said:

Thanks for the welcome Daisey! I'm guessing you mean Prove It All Night, right? I mean, anything else would have to be sacrilege, right?! :lol:

I hope you will like it over here 

Its a bit quiet at the moment so its cool to have something else to talk about

I live and breath the 78 intro 

Have you had the pleasure of hearing it live ? ( alas i have not)

And what about kitty?

The best kind of kitty is a very long kind

Im hoping there must be some good footage from the 2016 river tour (i didn't get to that tour - we got the 2017 summer tour instead)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lampi said:

This is about greatest versions on video?

So a 'greatest performance ever' on grainy video will lose to a 'great but not greatest version ever'  [in terms of performance]  which has superb video quality? No chance for Passaic 1 and Passaic 2 in black-and-white.

Not saying this is a good or a bad thing, just something different.

Hi Lampi. 

The performances from Passaic 78 are some of the greatest in Springsteen live history. They are truly the stuff of legend. I remember watching Prove It and Darkness from that first show when I was 16 discovering Bruce on Youtube, and I was just blown away with how raw and rocking the performances were. So let me explain how I have personally picked these performances using some examples. 

For Spirit In The Night, I picked Passaic. There was the option of the Houston 78 release with better picture, but Passaic won for me because it is just damn electric right from the start. Bruce is more into it, and you can just feel the electricity in the air with the New Jersey crowd going nuts and Bruce and the band feeding off of that. There are just extra things going on in that performance that Houston 78 doesn't have. And of course, Bruce is all about that live energy and connection with his audience 

I look for a number of things when making my choices. How stable is the video and how clear? How good is the sound? How good is the performance overall? How does the performance relate to Bruce's history as a live performer? For Blinded By The Light, I chose Rochester 2003. There is a pro shot acoustic version from the Storytellers DVD, but its only acoustic. There's a good audience shot version with stable vision from Buffalo 2009, but the energy level isn't as high as Rochester. In that performance, Bruce looks like he's having the time of his life connecting back to his youth and he's having a ball acting out the song. That version ultimately wins for me and best represents that song live.

But I do take other people's choices into consideration. For Lost In the Flood, I preferred Buffalo 2009. But other people on Backstreets suggested the New York 2000 version. So I ran a poll and that version clearly won. So, thats whats in the playlist. In the case of Jimmy's choice for Saint from 2016, this is how I see it. Its a really great performance. For a band in their sixties, its almost miraculous. BUT. I have the song represented by Houston 1978. As good as a performance from 2016 is, can it really beat Bruce in the prime of his youth, with all that confidence and energy? That shriek on the word 'trash' is a very classic young Bruce thing to do. Plus, Houston is more stable video, with soundboard sound. So its a combination of things that personally helps me to decide, but I am open to hearing other people's opinions. We're all going to have our favourites. I have mine. You have yours. But ultimately, we should reach a general consensus on what performance best represents that song live in that playlist. I look forward to continuing that discussion B)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I hope you will like it over here 

Its a bit quiet at the moment so its cool to have something else to talk about

I live and breath the 78 intro 

Have you had the pleasure of hearing it live ? ( alas i have not)

And what about kitty?

The best kind of kitty is a very long kind

Im hoping there must be some good footage from the 2016 river tour (i didn't get to that tour - we got the 2017 summer tour instead)

I have, once. It was in Melbourne in 2017. I was so thrilled to get it and it was epic! Unfortunately no Kitty. Would have LOVED to have heard that one. I picked Hammersmith 75 to represent that song. Watching that on the Born To Run boxset at 16 blew my mind. Its such a jam, and that break down after Bruce's solo always gets me B)

• Bruuuuce! 1

Just now, Young Scott said:

I have, once. It was in Melbourne in 2017. I was so thrilled to get it and it was epic! Unfortunately no Kitty. Would have LOVED to have heard that one. I picked Hammersmith 75 to represent that song. Watching that on the Born To Run boxset at 16 blew my mind. Its such a jam, and that break down after Bruce's solo always gets me B)

I was thinking the Hammersmith material is going to be hard to beat but i don't beleave a bad kitty exists 

I know that Melbourne prove it

I got prove it wothout the intro in 2017

Im pretty sure i cried afterwards :(

You are right about that. There are lots of great, well shot versions out there. Passaic 78, Conan 2002, Perth 2014, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2014. As you said, its hard to beat Hammersmith 75 though. The early E Street Band was just something else back then. 

If you've heard the official audio of that version, you will actually hear me going nuts when I realised what was being played :lol: I never got a normal 'Prove it' before, just the 78 version! Thanks to a member of the audience carrying a sign for it. My condolences to you :lol:

• Like 1

i particulary like this Kitty if only it had happened when we still had Danny and C

i particulay like that its length pissed off Hall and Oats :lol:

actually i gotta admit i love kitty soooooo much i get a sort of weird sardistic pleasure when its length pisses any one off :P

Damn Paolo. You've done your home work haha. For the record, I have enjoyed reading some of your reviews and in depth analysis of Bruce's performances. You are obviously very passionate about the music and thats great :) This will take some time to read all 10 parts haha but it will be valuable if these performances also have video to match them. Cheers B)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

27 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I refrained from posting the actual link on the BTX thread (for reasons), but these might be useful if you need them:

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/category/the-definitive-version-of-every-song-from-springsteens-archive-series/

greta lavoro amico mio

( i'm going to make Young Scott think you're really Italian :lol:)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Young Scott said:

For Spirit In The Night, I picked Passaic. There was the option of the Houston 78 release with better picture

Thanks for explaining! Somehow I miseed the link to the playlist yesterday, otherwise of course I would have seen it.

Could be (but maybe that's only me) Spirit form Houston feels a little bit weird as it was played at an unusual place in the setlist? This only obvious in context of the whole Houston video and not as an indiividual video, but still.

I think Spirit was played in the right spot in Houston. Its more that the soundboard audio is very dry and you can't hear the audience that greatly, which is key to what makes Passaic so good. The atmosphere is electric. You can really feel the New Jersey spirit. Plus Bruce is more vocal in Passaic. That scream at the start. Wowsers! 

• Like 1

I've just added the performances for Born To Run. Here is my write up explaining my choices. Please give me feedback if you would think other versions better represent the songs. 

BORN TO RUN

Thunder Road- Tempe 1980

My first choice was the No Nukes version. But, sacrilege! Its not been uploaded to Youtube! Then, I looked at Passaic 78 with the 'land of peace, justice, and no mercy' intro. But the sound wasn't quite right. So I've had to settle for Tempe 1980. Its not perfect. Bruce flubs a line and chuckles it off. Clarence slightly screws up the sax part on the outro. But its the best I could find. But its still a full band 'Thunder Road' with great sound and good picture.

Tenth Avenue Freeze Out- Tempe 1980

Just a great version, with Bruce and ESB in full flight. And Clarence gets more of a solo on versions from The River tour, so that doesnt hurt.

Night- Barcelona 2002

A very solid performance of this song.

Backstreets- Toronto 1984

The 1978 'Sad eyes' versions are legendary. But I've never really found a truly outstanding version on video. But I absolutely love this version of Backstreets. That pre song intro to the intro is brilliant. Bruce hasn't even sang a word and already his voice and the band are pulling on your heart strings. Its got great, heart felt singing, a passionate solo, and a spoken section before the 'Hiding on the Backstreets' refrain. This is an excelllent performance. And thanks to Pure Frosting HD, this version is in 4k!!

Born To Run- Tempe 1980

I didn't quite know where to begin with this. Its Born To Run. You gotta get it right. But any well shot version is good. In the end, I went with Tempe. I almost went with Phoenix 78. But its just a tad too quick. Tempe is fast, but its the right speed for you to take Born To Run in, in all its technicolour glory. Tempe is just too damn good.

She's The One- Hammersmith 1975

I thought I was going to go with a 78 version. I was pretty sure of it. I looked at a few, but the sound and video quality wasn't perfect. You got to feel that Bo Diddley beat deep inside of you. Hammersmith 75 does that for me. Its only the song itself. No extra songs tacked on. But its got the bonus of a sweet harmonica solo from Bruce, and then the band just digs deep into that Bo Diddley beat. Any objections? Should it be 78 after all?

Meeting Across The River- Passaic 1978

Look. There's no Curt Ramm on trumpet. But there is a Bruce who sings like his character truly believes this is his last chance.

Jungleland- Tempe 1980

You go for a later version, and the song becomes too slow and Bruce's delivery loses a lot of its raw emotion. You go too early, and the song is a tad too fast and Bruce's vocal is too imperfect. You pick Tempe 1980, and i believe you hit that sweet spot where the delivery is just right, with Bruce fist pumping on the speaker as Clarence' blows away with all the soul in the world.

Thoughts?

well as it was my first version id go with LINYC for the 10th

i love all that shit !

but its certainly not everyone's cup of tea

i was wondering what BTR you would choose ?

i just said yesterday has nothing that isnt brillant ever come outta Tempa !