Greasy Lake Community

2 Tunes

Two new - Ghosts and If I Was The Priest (been waiting a LONG time to hear this one live)

Two old - Backstreets (my fav one more time :wub: ) and Rockaway The Days (getting close to now or never for him to play it)

Two for a rest - Sunny Day and Hungry Heart (but then what would my bathroom break songs be???)

• Like 1

What 2 new songs are a must have this coming tour?

A railway double:  Tucson Train and Burning Train

What 2 older songs you have been chasing or just want to hear?

Human Touch and Girls In Their Summer Clothes

What 2 songs need a rest?

The Rising and Tenth Avenue

And importantly, the encore section needs to be varied so that we will never be quite sure what's coming next.  I wouldn't want BTR or DITD dropped, but they could be moved out of the encore.  There are loads of songs that could be good there.  And let's not have the same closing song every time.  Settle on a few and rotate them.  (But not Shout.  I never want to hear that again)

And I don't want Bruce finishing with a solo I'll See You In My Dreams - I can't imagine anything that would be more of a downer to end on.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Im scared im going to be stuck by lightening from Marsha but rosie and DITD could sit it out to make more time for a really really long kitty 

Why on earth would you want any song to be longer?  We need shorter songs and more of them.   They're getting old, and so are we.  8 minutes is more than enough for Kitty.   Yeh Bruce, we get it, Kitty's back in town.    And yep, we can feel the spirit.    Enough already, move on and play Jole Blon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Much as I love the River songs, I would also add Out in the Street as a song to retire.

One of the more bland rockers from an otherwise fantastic album, it's always been a surprise to me that Bruce has played it so often in concert.

Replace it with Jackson Cage Bruce !

Good call.  

14 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

Personally .....having seen Bruce a fair amount of times in the reunion era ...... There have been so few shows where the encore was anywhere NEAR the highlight for me ..... The only one for me was probably the MSG River Show from 2009....,,

I think he's pushed too many of the radio favourites back into the encores.  It makes it a letdown at the end for the hardcore fans, and the casuals have to wait too long for their payoff.  Give 'em  BTR straight out of the gate, and I'm On Fire within the first hour.   Then they can relax a bit and enjoy more of the stuff they don't know.  A lot of people online raved about the Brisbane 2014 show, but I thought the setlist planning was really poor. I had some casuals with me, and nearly 2 hours in, the only thing they'd heard that they recognised was Stayin' Alive!   Sort it out Bruce!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I think he's pushed too many of the radio favourites back into the encores.  It makes it a letdown at the end for the hardcore fans, and the casuals have to wait too long for their payoff.  Give 'em  BTR straight out of the gate, and I'm On Fire within the first hour.   Then they can relax a bit and enjoy more of the stuff they don't know.  A lot of people online raved about the Brisbane 2014 show, but I thought the setlist planning was really poor. I had some casuals with me, and nearly 2 hours in, the only thing they'd heard that they recognised was Stayin' Alive!   Sort it out Bruce!

I think maybe Bruce does it that way for the causal fans, as in "we were at a Springsteen Concert for 4 hours" when only the last 45 minutes to an hour was what they came to see. And the show actually only lasted 2 1/2 hours. 

I love the fun during the encores, BTR, DITD, Rosy, even if WOASD or HH were in there. The "Whole Show" has to be fun for all to be GREAT. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

Why on earth would you want any song to be longer?  We need shorter songs and more of them.   They're getting old, and so are we.  8 minutes is more than enough for Kitty.   Yeh Bruce, we get it, Kitty's back in town.    And yep, we can feel the spirit.    Enough already, move on and play Jole Blon.

We are going to have to respectfully disagree on both counts 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

You are right ....It is tough i guess to program for casuals and die hards together .....Not only do i never need to hear DITD again ..... I never liked it to begin with  ....But i took my sister to her first Bruce show ....and of course that was the highlight of the night for her .......so short of one night for casuals and one for die hards .... i have no solution ....( And a Hard yes to Jole Blon :D)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

It is tough i guess to program for casuals and die hards together 

The Rising and Magic Tours (except maybe very end of Magic Tour) and also the shows in 2012 had a good mix of songs from new album, rarities and 'greatest hits'. That was different in 2009 and after 2012.

Encore is always about 'greatest hits' and covers and not about rarities. Which is not a reason to not shake it up a little bit with some lesser known but not obscure at all songs like Cadillac Ranch and Sherry Darling (to name only the first two songs that come to mind).

The real problem seems to be shows with too many rarities played in a row; one rarity after another without a better known song inbetween.

So Bruce should play Darlington County, Working On The Highway AND Bobby Jean AND Sunny Day all in the first half of the show then!:)

22 minutes ago, Lampi said:

The Rising and Magic Tours (except maybe very end of Magic Tour) and also the shows in 2012 had a good mix of songs from new album, rarities and 'greatest hits'. That was different in 2009 and after 2012.

Encore is always about 'greatest hits' and covers and not about rarities. Which is not a reason to not shake it up a little bit with some lesser known but not obscure at all songs like Cadillac Ranch and Sherry Darling (to name only the first two songs that come to mind).

The real problem seems to be shows with too many rarities played in a row; one rarity after another without a better known song inbetween.

So Bruce should play Darlington County, Working On The Highway AND Bobby Jean AND Sunny Day all in the first half of the show then!:)

I have always thought ...that if you are going to spend 150 bucks for a concert ....buy and listen to the new album first .....makes for a much more entertaining experience......

And of course ....i'm the guy that STILL thinks every rock concert should have a mandatory Chuck Berry song in the encore ...... They should pass legislation :lol:.....Of course i'd be okay with a Mitch Ryder song or 4 also.....And as i'm writing this .... I'm thinking Bruce is 72 and Clarence is gone and i'm living in the past :(

52 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

....buy and listen to the new album first .....makes for a much more entertaining experience......

...and Live 1975/85 (more than Greatest Hits or The Essential BS). Knowledge of new album and Live 1975/85 was -in general- enough for casuals to recognize the majority of songs played (or at least in 2002-2003, 2007-2008 and 2012).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lampi said:

...and Live 1975/85 (more than Greatest Hits or The Essential BS). Knowledge of new album and Live 1975/85 was -in general- enough for casuals to recognize the majority of songs played (or at least in 2002-2003, 2007-2008 and 2012).

A 5 Album (?) set is a pretty good investment for a casual :)

Well, first lock Jake into a room with a saxophone and the No Nukes footage playing until he gets The Tone on 3 songs.
Then I want to hear two out those three old songs.

For the two new songs Moonlight Motel with Roy on piano and Ghosts or Burnin' Train.

Loose everything over 6 minutes long except Jungleland and shake up the encores from night to night.
And please play the excellent I'm going down with Jake's great sax from the London gig.

6 hours ago, soulsofthedeparted said:

But BUT.

Im reborn with dancing in the dark. After a chat at work with a guy whom tolerated Bruce . Whom said he loved it . I respectively pushed his likeness off it to oneside.

Then listened to acoustic version from 1992 . 

Yep i get it 

The acoustic versions are a whole (better) different keatle of fish 

A workmate showed me a male contestant on a British? reality show (the one with Boy George) today doing an acoustic DITD

He quite liked it - i on the other hand thought i had seen plenty better (from the man himself naturally)

13 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

You are right ....It is tough i guess to program for casuals and die hards together .....Not only do i never need to hear DITD again ..... I never liked it to begin with  ....But i took my sister to her first Bruce show ....and of course that was the highlight of the night for her .......so short of one night for casuals and one for die hards .... i have no solution ....( And a Hard yes to Jole Blon :D)

My point is all it takes is balance.  Don't stack all the hits in the back end. Get a couple out there early, and give the casuals a chance to get involved. It'll really boost the mood of the crowd.   And even obscure songs can be singalongs if you pick the right ones...like, ummm maybe Jole Blon?

• Like 3

I think there are three categories of attendees. 
A.  Fans.  They will know most (if not all) of the artist's oeuvre.
B.  Bucket listers.  They will have heard enough to know that they like at least some of what the artist does.
C.  People who will go to anything.  They are just there for a night out. 

A will continue to follow the artist and buy their output.
B may be tempted to listen to more of the artist's music, buy it, and go to another show.
C can be disregarded as people like this will always be there.

In short, I don't think it much matters what is played or when.
I've often been a B and have been happy to hear stuff I didn't know, but liked.  And not hearing the "hits" hasn't killed the occasion for me.

• Like 1

New: Rainmaker, If I Was The Priest
Old: Devils & Dust, The Ghost Of Tom Joad
Retire: Waiting On A Sunny Day, Shout

Picking two old songs was really tough 'cause there are way too many favourites I haven't heard live yet, such as Shut Out The Light, None But The Brave, Human Touch, Streets of Philadelphia, Blood Brothers, Walk Like A Man, Racing '78, Further On (Up The Road), Fire...