Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Film Review: The Legendary 1979 No Nukes Concerts (2021)


Recommended Posts

LINKhttps://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/11/22/film-review-the-legendary-1979-no-nukes-concerts-2021/

Ok, so I'm fully aware the album review thread bombed, that there's been another 50 threads about this since (or is that just posts?) and that I might be pushing it with another separate thread, but I like to think I worked on hard on this :lol: Anyway, enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

LINKhttps://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/11/22/film-review-the-legendary-1979-no-nukes-concerts-2021/

Ok, so I'm fully aware the album review thread bombed, that there's been another 50 threads about this since (or is that just posts?) and that I might be pushing it with another separate thread, but I like to think I worked on hard on this :lol: Anyway, enjoy!

Yes but this is the one I was waiting for

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

LINKhttps://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/11/22/film-review-the-legendary-1979-no-nukes-concerts-2021/

Ok, so I'm fully aware the album review thread bombed, that there's been another 50 threads about this since (or is that just posts?) and that I might be pushing it with another separate thread, but I like to think I worked on hard on this :lol: Anyway, enjoy!

Very thorough and entertaining ....and you found the one thing that particularly annoyed me. Steven's Solo in Jungleland is one of my favorites ......I was really hoping for a close up ......it was pretty much ignored

As i have said a number of times it has made me a little emotional ...... I will drop in a solid cliche here that i think fits

Don't Cry Because its over ....Smile because it happened.

This release reminded me of why i flipped in the first place.

They really were a freaking spectacular live band.

 

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Very thorough and entertaining ....and you found the one thing that particularly annoyed me. Steven's Solo in Jungleland is one of my favorites ......I was really hoping for a close up ......it was pretty much ignored

As i have said a number of times it has made me a little emotional ...... I will drop in a solid cliche here that i think fits

Don't Cry Because its over ....Smile because it happened.

This release reminded me of why i flipped in the first place.

They really were a freaking spectacular live band.

 

Glad it was worth your time :)

At least we get to see Steve's solo in "The Promised Land"! Every cloud. 

Definitely emotional. I know you've mentioned her elsewhere in relation to this release and I'll admit Marsha also came to my mind when they kicked into "Rosie". I bet she's been having a great time up there showing everyone what she was able to see from '78 onwards, full of pride that she got it where others didn't.

And on that latter note, I don't know if the correct reaction from my age group to this is to be a little gutted that I did miss this Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, but really I'm just happy I became a fan and stayed invested long enough to enjoy this release over ten years down the road. I guess London Calling: Live in Hyde Park wasn't the best it could get, 14 year old me in 2011 would be thrilled ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Glad it was worth your time :)

At least we get to see Steve's solo in "The Promised Land"! Every cloud. 

Definitely emotional. I know you've mentioned her elsewhere in relation to this release and I'll admit Marsha also came to my mind when they kicked into "Rosie". I bet she's been having a great time up there showing everyone what she was able to see from '78 onwards, full of pride that she got it where others didn't.

And on that latter note, I don't know if the correct reaction from my age group to this is to be a little gutted that I did miss this Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, but really I'm just happy I became a fan and stayed invested long enough to enjoy this release over ten years down the road. I guess London Calling: Live in Hyde Park wasn't the best it could get, 14 year old me in 2011 would be thrilled ;)

That show was about 15 months before i finally saw Bruce .......And it was a really long 15 months ..... I was a pretty big fan in the summer of '78....I actually made a home made 8 track of a compilation of BTR and Darkness for the car ....And i wish i had seen the Darkness tour of course....But we saw No Nukes in a movie theatre when it came out and of course my head exploded ....

As it turns  i think we were both wrong ....the best cover/encore isnt Trapped ...and i hate to admit ....its probably not DM..........Its that QT3 on this film

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

Very thorough and entertaining ....and you found the one thing that particularly annoyed me. Steven's Solo in Jungleland is one of my favorites ......I was really hoping for a close up ......it was pretty much ignored

As i have said a number of times it has made me a little emotional ...... I will drop in a solid cliche here that i think fits

Don't Cry Because its over ....Smile because it happened.

This release reminded me of why i flipped in the first place.

They really were a freaking spectacular live band.

 

Cameraman Dan Kilik, in his essay that accompanied the No Nukes DVD, apologized to Steven for not catching his Jungleland solo.  Each camera could only film 9 minutes at a time before reloading.  It must have been a frenzied experience trying to catch what was happening on stage.  Like Kilik wrote…. There were no rehearsals, no stage marks, no choreography, no plans.  It was all shot on the fly.  I’m actually amazed at the quality of the filming.  Yes, what they captured on film is indeed legendary.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

That show was about 15 months before i finally saw Bruce .......And it was a really long 15 months ..... I was a pretty big fan in the summer of '78....I actually made a home made 8 track of a compilation of BTR and Darkness for the car ....And i wish i had seen the Darkness tour of course....But we saw No Nukes in a movie theatre when it came out and of course my head exploded ....

As it turns  i think we were both wrong ....the best cover/encore isnt Trapped ...and i hate to admit ....its probably not DM..........Its that QT3 on this film

Agreed. And that’s with almost 3 minutes missing.

There is a reason Quarter to Three was THE cover encore on the Darkness Tour.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

LINKhttps://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/11/22/film-review-the-legendary-1979-no-nukes-concerts-2021/

Ok, so I'm fully aware the album review thread bombed, that there's been another 50 threads about this since (or is that just posts?) and that I might be pushing it with another separate thread, but I like to think I worked on hard on this :lol: Anyway, enjoy!

 

So Nice to read. Thank You So Much.

---

Jackson Browne:  But because it was shot on
film and that cost a lot of money, they thought,
“Well let’s just shoot one or two songs and that’s
enough of that artist.” The only person whose
entire set got filmed was Bruce.
And now that’s
coming out, which is great, because it’s totally
worthy of being seen.


- - - 

Just wonder. With all these wires to step on.
When was the first tour with an unplugged guitar in use?

".... we see both a potentially calamitous fall for Clarence and an unplugged guitar for Bruce. Not to worry, Clarence picks himself right back up, and Bruce takes the route of teasing his roadie by running away as he attempts to fix the matter. "

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rumble said:

Agreed. And that’s with almost 3 minutes missing.

There is a reason Quarter to Three was THE cover encore on the Darkness Tour.  

I'm not sure i don't like it BETTER without the three minutes ....... One of those ...fun while you are at the show things ....But not as great upon repeated viewing/listening ...... And to be repetitive ...... There is a one word explanation for QT3's greatness ..... Clarence.....A night with Daddy G indeed

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Great review Paolo, though the rating out of 5 threw me. I was expecting a 9 or a 9.5 out of 10. 

Cheers! Yeah films get rated out of 5, whereas it's easier to rate audio out of 10 for a wider scope.

Although now I'll have to check my London Calling, Springsteen on Broadway and Live in Barcelona ratings to see if I'm contradicting myself :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

can someone explain to me why I can see the DVD in full screen at 16-9 immediately without changing any setting instead the BLURAY in 4/3 or at the maximum reducing the resolution to 1080p at full screen with zoom?

please....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“dancing offstage and raising a foot to play a couple of surprisingly correct keys on Roy’s piano” 

 

This. My favourite bit of the whole No Nukes performance. Those notes on the piano are perfect, I listen out for them every time. They fit in place so well and are essential to the song in that crazy finale of Quarter to Three. The timing of those notes is absolutely spot on as well. 
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...