Greasy Lake Community

The NHL 2021-2022 thread

Jimmy James

I'm not against the deal in general.  The Pens have established a solid fan base now and have a new arena, so I don't think the Boston group will think about moving them.  But it's sad that Mario is giving up a big chunk of his ownership share.  He is primarily responsible for the Pens still being in Pittsburgh by rescuing them from bankruptcy and/or possible relocation back in 1999.  For that, me and lots of others are eternally grateful.  But I'm sure he has his reasons for giving up control, and I don't think he'd do it if he thought the Bostoners would move the team.

Can Lebron play hockey?  He'd be a hell of an enforcer. :lol:

• Like 1

The biggest negative I can see in this is that Lebron James is involved.  I don't think Lebron would be a good hockey player, he whines too much.  And as far as him being an enforcer?  He hid behind his teammates and refs after he elbowed the guy in Detroit a week or so ago, not exactly the action you would want your enforcer to take.

As for the deal itself?  From what I have seen Mario and his partner have been approached several times by different groups and turned them all down.  I saw that Mario's partner has wanted out, or thinking about getting out, for a while, and this gave him the chance.  From what I have read there hasn't been any talk about replacing anybody in the front office or changing how the Pens operate.  I don't know how hockey contracts are structured, as in do they have a signing bonus, so the new ownership may be able to add more $$ up front which may help the Pens sign more free agents in the future.

If they decide to take the Mario statue down and replace it with a Bobby Orr one, I'll be there with the other protesters.

• Like 1

But Lebron is a big guy.  Can you imagine getting checked by him? :blink:

I thought I read that the front office staff will be evaluated for the remainder of the season (as would usually happen with a buyout situation) so hopefully they'll all keep their jobs.  But what happens if they beat the Bruins in the playoffs? :unsure:

9 minutes ago, gsquare said:

But Lebron is a big guy.  Can you imagine getting checked by him? :blink:

I thought I read that the front office staff will be evaluated for the remainder of the season (as would usually happen with a buyout situation) so hopefully they'll all keep their jobs.  But what happens if they beat the Bruins in the playoffs? :unsure:

The new owners don't have a stake in the Bruins, if they did the NHL rules would stop them from buying the Pens.

But to answer your question I think that would mean that the Pens would be heading to the Stanley Cup Finals.

To our beloved fans,

Ron Burkle and I have reached agreement with Fenway Sports Group (FSG) to sell a controlling interest in the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team. This is an exciting day for the future of our franchise.

We want Penguins fans to know that we would only enter a partnership of this magnitude with leaders who share our values. Over the years, we have been approached multiple times by various groups interested in purchasing the team but never found the right fit. In FSG, however, we met an experienced group of leaders with a passion to win championships and a vision that aligns with ours. Just as importantly, they have at their core a stewardship philosophy rooted in local community impact and investment. It is a winning combination. 

As this new chapter begins, I am happy to tell you that Ron and I will both remain part of the ownership group. For the past 22 years, we have shared a special bond that allowed us to work so well together, keep the team in Pittsburgh, build a new arena and bring home three Stanley Cups.

This is a new beginning, not the end of an era. I will continue to be active and involved with the team long-term, helping to oversee and guide the operation just as I always have. In addition to continuing my role, there will be a continuity of leadership with the club's senior management under CEO David Morehouse, COO Kevin Acklin, President of Hockey Operations Brian Burke, and General Manager Ron Hextall, who will all remain in their positions. 

I have been fortunate to be part of the Penguins organization for more than half my life and have had the unique privilege of your incredible fan support as a player and owner. Thank you for being on this journey with me and our entire organization. Together with our new partners, we will work tirelessly to continue to make you proud and bring another Stanley Cup back to Pittsburgh.

-Mario

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Blues v Wild Mid Winter classic today. -24f at Target Field

Isn't that the windchill?

I thought the temp was like -5 or so.

14 minutes ago, burghfan said:

Isn't that the windchill?

I thought the temp was like -5 or so.

What's the difference at that point! :blink:

How would you like to take a shot off your toe tonight.

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

What's the difference at that point! :blink:

How would you like to take a shot off your toe tonight.

Whatever part of your body that you take a shot off of tonight will probably already be numb and it won't hurt as much as it will tomorrow.

And I would rather be outside when the temp is -20 with no wind than be in -5 temp with -20 wind chill.  If there is no wind your body warmth stays with you but if there is a wind it doesn't.  To me -20 with no wind would seem warmer than -5 with a -20 wind chill.

After playing in sub zero temps a few days ago the St Louis Blues traveled to play a team who are named for a bird that is used to frigid temps.  I don't think they enjoyed the game against the Pittsburgh Penguins as much as they did the Winter Classic since they won the Winter Classic but lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-3.

Below is from the Pittsburgh Penguins official FB page.

WE'RE SENDING ST. LOUIS HOME SINGING THE BLUES.

And that's NINE STRAIGHT WINS for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

gls04.jpg

16 hours ago, burghfan said:

After playing in sub zero temps a few days ago the St Louis Blues traveled to play a team who are named for a bird that is used to frigid temps.  I don't think they enjoyed the game against the Pittsburgh Penguins as much as they did the Winter Classic since they won the Winter Classic but lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-3.

Pens have been playing real well.  Kinda wish Malkin would stay away and not screw up what they have going right now.

I had no idea that if a team challenged a goal like the Blues did last night and lost the challenge that the other team would get a power play.  Seems rather harsh.  As we all know from the NFL, just because they have replay doesn't mean that they will necessarily get it right.  But the call last night was right, and the Blues really payed the price for challenging it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, burghfan said:

That was a fun game to watch, even in a lost! We need to tighten up the D a bit. 4 to Minnesota and 5 to Pittsburgh not good! 

On 1/6/2022 at 4:23 PM, gsquare said:

Pens have been playing real well.  Kinda wish Malkin would stay away and not screw up what they have going right now.

Guess I have to eat my words.  Geno made his season debut last night and got 2 goals and an assist.  But he also did get an "assist" on the other teams goal with a giveaway in front of his own net.