Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newcastle roy

ETC=A BAD...

..TASTE IN MY MOUTH..A FEELING OF BETRAYAL.

Cant help it but finding out about a "secret forum" has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.The main attraction when i joined the "community" was indeed the "community" part, thousands of peeps who adore the music of Bruce
Springsteen....

"The streets were better known as The Circuit and have been immortalized in Bruce's song "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)". But The Circuit is also the name of Greasy Lake's community where Springsteen fans from all over the world gather to not only discuss their favorite artist, but also to talk about just about anything else, from politics and current world events, to sports, music, or their personal lives. And perhaps to check out that guy or girl...

Open the forums and jump right in..."

So i jumped right in, and i loved it having spent years following the Boss i now had thousands of fellow fans to talk about the great man to . I know its just a forum and i will probably never meet the peeps i swop posts with ,after all its just a forum..its not real life . Well, "its not real life" is also part or the attraction to escape the harsh world of dog eat dog.
Now i find out it is just like real life..
people wanting to be better ,to be different,to be apart from the normal,to be part of a "better" crowd.

Yeh 'am over reacting maybe ? but the "community" has lost some of its appeal.
IPB Image

A little.????

Tell me, how has finding out about this made your previous experience that you liked any different? That part of it is still the same.

Much ado about nothing IMO

people wanting to be better ,to be different,to be apart from the normal,to be part of a \"better\" crowd.

If you read the history thread I posted hopefully you'll see that that was not the true character of the place.

Of course, it's hard to prove since it's not open for viewing, but that's not an accurate description of its nature.

And if you read what I posted, you'll see that for many years it was accessible to all. Everyone had an equal opportunity to stumble into it.

Was just wondering ...... how many Lakers have even HEARD of half of the ones now posting?

It feels good to have everyone 'together' at last.

I think "secret" is the wrong word. The etc was never a secret. It was that hole in the fence on the playground....It was a place that didn't suit everyone and sometimes it didn't suit anyone. The only reason to keep it on the downlow was because it wasn't supposed to be Bruce related. And, aside from the fact that we are all fans of Bruce, it wasn't Springsteen related.

Was just wondering ...... how many Lakers have even HEARD of half of the ones now posting?

Doesn't feel very good from the other side Auntie. I thought I knew a lot of you and now maybe I don't

Makes me laff. when a newby joins, everybody jumps in and says welcome to the lake, enjoy the swim, what a great family.

family.........

I wonder if I have anyone living in my loft that I dont know about. IPB Image

Makes me laff. when a newby joins, everybody jumps in and says welcome to the lake, enjoy the swim, what a great family.

family.........

look around and find out.

I think \"secret\" is the wrong word. The etc was never a secret. It was that hole in the fence on the playground....It was a place that didn't suit everyone and sometimes it didn't suit anyone. The only reason to keep it on the downlow was because it wasn't supposed to be Bruce related. And, aside from the fact that we are all fans of Bruce, it wasn't Springsteen related.

Spoken like a real ect fan.

BTW you can see a hole in the fence. but yer right about the playground, (just for kids)

Read The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss. Everyone will waste a lot of time and energy on this for a few days and then live happily ever after.

family.........

look around and find out.

Tell me where the hidden clicky thing is then please.

Doesn't feel very good from the other side Auntie. I thought I knew a lot of you and now maybe I don't

Exactly! You can go on and on about how "innocent" ETC was, but as far as I'm concerned all of the bullshit lingo and poofer/poofter crap is just some kind of cyber secret handshake. It says, "I'm on the inside and you're not." It was membership in a secret club simple as that. You all really ought to grow up.

Exactly! You can go on and on about how \"innocent\" ETC was, but as far as I'm concerned all of the bullshit lingo and poofer/poofter crap is just some kind of cyber secret handshake. It says, \"I'm on the inside and you're not.\" It was membership in a secret club simple as that. You all really ought to grow up.

That's exactly it WITH

You people crack me up. All I'm hearing is how offended you feel on the one hand, and then you come right back with the fact that it is just a lot of bullshit that you're not interested in anyhow.

Hyprocits all of ya

Far be it from me to tell people how they should feel----you are entitled to your emotions and thoughts.

However, the ETC was in existence way before I knew about it. When I found out, I wasn't betrayed, mostly I thought "cool there is even more to this place" and found myself laughing and playing along.

However, saying you are "betrayed" because there was a place you didn't know about at Greasylake seems a bit overdramatic to me. Have all of you looked at the ENTIRE Greasylake besides the discussion forums? Did you know every setlist for every show is on this website? Have you looked at the news forum, the picture archives, the photo forums where Lakers have submitted their photos for viewing?

Claiming it is someone elses fault and that you were somehow "betrayed" because you didn't know every single aspect of this huge webpage is overstating your position. No one betrayed you if you didn't find it----you didn't look around enough.

Several people have questioned me personally about the place----because they wondered what forums they couldn't access.....everyone of them was granted admission, and that was only for a period less than a year that access was restricted at all. If you have been here more than one year----you could have easily found it yourself, dozens of others did.

I typed out a whole load, clicked to check what else had been written ...... and lost the darned thing!

A brief summary. I was told about the ETC by a lass who was posting using her b'friend's name ...I understand that even if YOU don't ... and I was EXTREMELY miffed to find out that loads of my mates had been 'members' for ages without telling me .... seems you weren't supposed to say anything, just wait til folk stumbled in. I'd done that on a few occasions and often wondered where certain threads had disappeared to .... thought I was going bonkers .... shut it!

Anyway ...... being open to accidental tourists is one thing - being 'invite only' was another. Slane and I asked where the forum had gone on the main Board and were immediately granted admission ....... not cos I wanted in but I just wondered how to do it .... I've often stated my opposition to it - and been asked why the hell I wandered over there when I obviously didn't like it - but there were hilarious threads on there sometimes ... another reason I thought it should be open to everyone. However, usually it was so yawnfully boring - you really missed nothing at all.

family.........

This makes me think of all those news stories you see about psychos and mass-murderers. When they interview the family and neighbors the line is always the same. "He seemed like such a normal person"

Eileen's first entrance was famous. She was selling her Bruce collection and looking for fellow Geordies. Then she got lost and couldn't find her way back.

I stumbled into that place one day and was totally confused as all the thread titles were different, yet I was still in "The Circuit". Found out a few months ago that you now needed to be given access to this forum but never really had an interest in it. Don't really see the big deal honestly. It's not like it was used to talk trash about any Lakers.......WAS IT???

I stumbled into that place one day and was totally confused as all the thread titles were different, yet I was still in \"The Circuit\". Found out a few months ago that you now needed to be given access to this forum but never really had an interest in it. Don't really see the big deal honestly. It's not like it was used to talk trash about any Lakers.......WAS IT???

Hi Michelle.

Exactly, it wasn't used to talk trash. Anyone who thinks that obviously doesn't know Karsten and his opinions on that

Don't really see the big deal honestly. It's not like it was used to talk trash about any Lakers.......WAS IT???

No it wasnt'.

Well, except for Zippy.... IPB Image