Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Miami MArk

I have taken alot of this 1978 bullshit...

Guest Miami MArk
...enough so that I really have to question my living in the musical past. The more I think of it the less I believe I do. Its very easy for me to go through my music and find any variation on any new music from pseudo punk to rap to country. I guess part of my problem is defining rock and roll. It used to be so easy...the Dead were rock and so was Emerson Lake and Palmer and Johnny Winter and Bruce Springsteen. Johnny Cash was country and so was Earl Scruggs. James Brown was soul. Therse days there is so much "crossover' shit that I have no idea what anything really is anymore. What does this have to do with Springsteen? Well...it used to be that expected great rock and roll albums from Bruce. If you were to tell em he was coming out with a synth poetry reading album ..I wouldnt be the least fucking bit surprised. People crticize me cause they think I want to kepp Bruce "in the box". I'm really curious...what do you WANT from him? And please dont give me "balls to the wall" rock answer or "a great songwriter" ...I mean what do you WANT...what in your heart do you wanna hear? I'm really curious.
Me I want to hear more about the search for love...I think thats what Bruce writes baout best...the quest for connection and the affairs of the heart. I dont think thats boxing him in. And yes...I want to hear more guitar and less fiddle...more snare drum and less maracas....and someone break that fucking dobro over Nils head...gimme back Miami Steve as lead guitarist. I know he's not better..hell Nils blows him away as a guitarist, but Steve has more soul.
Ok...just had to say that cause I'm listening to TOL and its a really good album....

Me I want to hear more about the search for love...I think thats what Bruce writes baout best...the quest for connection and the affairs of the heart. I dont think thats boxing him in. And yes...I want to hear more guitar and less fiddle...more snare drum and less maracas....and someone break that fucking dobro over Nils head...gimme back Miami Steve as lead guitarist. I know he's not better..hell Nils blows him away as a guitarist, but Steve has more soul.

That about covers my wants thanks.

Don't worry about it MM. While I don't agree with you on The Rising (I think it is great), Bruce was MUCH better in the 70's and 80's than he was/is in the 90's and 00's. Just look at the albums from each 20 year period. It's a fucking no brainer.

70-89
Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
The Wild, the Innocent .......
Born to Run
Darkness on the Edge of Town
The River
Nebraska
Born in the U.S.A.
Live 1975-85
Tunnel of Love

90-04
Human Touch
Lucky Town
MTV (Un)plugged
Greatest Hits
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Tracks
18 Tracks
Live in New York City
The Rising

MM I think you raise a lot of good points, especially about today's music. I was just talking about it at work today. The quality of music continues to decrease with the senseless rap music and the horrible pop music. I'm only 16 years old and I should be like all the other 16 year olds listening to 50 Cent and Eminem or Gwen Stefani and Outkast. But I'm listening to good music like Bruce and other people like him. I get made fun of for it but I really don't care about that. I've got enough people that I hang out or work with (and the Lake) that share the same musical interest as I do.

But I don't really agree with you on your direction in Bruce's music. Believe me, I'm not one of the bandwagoners that think Bruce is right about everything. I am adamantly against his political beliefs. However, I am open to any music that he makes. There is stuff that he writes that I like (most of it) and then there's the few stuff that I don't like. What I don't think we should be doing is complaining about what he's been releasing because of our own personal opinion. I am open to whatever direction he wants to go in (except for the obvious like rap or polka, etc) in. I will listen to it and I will either like it or I won't like it.

Also, I do agree with you on how well he writes searching for love. I can relate to that and in my opinion that is his best work. But I don't think that HE can relate to it anymore. He has found his love and he has found his life (that we know of). I think the problem that he is having is mostly singing about other people's troubles (The Rising) or his political views. I also think that is why some people think the last 20 years he has released shitty music.

I probably just did a lot of babbling but I wanted to share my opinions coming from probably the youngest active member of the Lake.

That about covers my wants thanks.

I second that emotion.

....and someone break that fucking dobro over Nils head...gimme back Miami Steve as lead guitarist. I know he's not better..hell Nils blows him away as a guitarist, but Steve has more soul.

I agree. Maybe not over Nils' head, but perhaps Little Steven could pull some Silvio Dante action and arrange an "accident" for the dobro!

Guest Miami MArk
Lancing...I have a nine year old who prolly knows more about music than most 20 year olds. I allow him to listen to what he wants..and he has full use of my music. He wont even listen to rap...calls it "non music"
Whne he sings along to American Idiot he censors himself..and he told me that they curse..just to get peoples attention.

That's great MM. Personally I think that "parental advisory" labels only make kids want that crap even more. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but if they are left to listen to what they want, I believe kids naturally have good taste and will migrate to good music.

Lancing...I have a nine year old who prolly knows more about music than most 20 year olds. I allow him to listen to what he wants..and he has full use of my music. He wont even listen to rap...calls it \"non music\"
Whne he sings along to American Idiot he censors himself..and he told me that they curse..just to get peoples attention.

I would consider yourself lucky. Sounds like you've got yourself a good kid. He will probably be in my shoes in the next couple years. I don't get along well with most kids in school because I guess you could say I'm a lot more mature than the other kids. I talk about making money and shit and other kids are talking about getting with 8 chicks in one weekend or talking about video games. I don't get it but that's just the way it is in high school, I guess.

Guest Miami MArk
8 chicks in one weekend? In High School? Oh fuck.....stop talking about money you fool!!!!

Yeah but didn't the movie "Office Space" teach us that "chicks dig dudes with money"?

lol it was somewhat of an exaggeration but that is the logic of the other kids my age. IPB Image

Yeah but didn't the movie \"Office Space\" teach us that \"chicks dig dudes with money\"?

Haha I would never follow anything that movie teaches. One of the funniest I've ever seen but would never use it's advice. IPB Image

Hey Lancing you do sound mature. Eight years ago I was probably like you in high school. I shunned the popular groups of the day like Dave Matthews Band and I listened to Dylan and Bruce. And I was really focused on school work and grades etc. I was that way in college too, all the up till now in med school.

But don't let these days pass you by dude. Looking back I wish I spent more time getting to know some nice chicks in my class. I thought I was cool and stilted with my arcane but lyrically-brilliant Dylan and early Bruce music because no one else liked it except me and a good buddy of mine. But me and my big attitude didn't get me anywhere socially.

Sure the songwriting legends are great, but keep in mind that in high school Bruce probably didn't care much about money, and rather was probably one of those guys with the 8 chicks!

The irony of this thread title is that I think we've all taken a lot of this 1978 bullshit.

Hey Lancing you do sound mature. Eight years ago I was probably like you in high school. I shunned the popular groups of the day like Dave Matthews Band and I listened to Dylan and Bruce. And I was really focused on school work and grades etc. I was that way in college too, all the up till now in med school.

But don't let these days pass you by dude. Looking back I wish I spent more time getting to know some nice chicks in my class. I thought I was cool and stilted with my arcane but lyrically-brilliant Dylan and early Bruce music because no one else liked it except me and a good buddy of mine. But me and my big attitude didn't get me anywhere socially.

Sure the songwriting legends are great, but keep in mind that in high school Bruce probably didn't care much about money, and rather was probably one of those guys with the 8 chicks!

To tell you the truth it doesn't really bother me. I've got my few friends that I talk to and the people I work with. I don't need any more than that. Times were also different as far as you go because right now even Dave Matthews Band is considered "shitty music" to the popular kids. I actually like DMB and have been to one of their shows and they are very good live.

I know Bruce didn't care about the money and he still doesn't. But I doubt he was the one with the 8 chicks! IPB Image

Well cool man. Hey good luck in school and beyond...sounds like you've got some focus on what you want in life, and you'll do well with that!

It's a fucking no brainer.

70-89
Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
The Wild, the Innocent .......
Born to Run
Darkness on the Edge of Town
The River
Nebraska
Born in the U.S.A.
Live 1975-85
Tunnel of Love

90-04
Human Touch
Lucky Town
MTV (Un)plugged
Greatest Hits
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Tracks
18 Tracks
Live in New York City
The Rising

Just like a golf course. Nine out, nine back. I like playing the front nine a helluva lot more.

The irony of this thread title is that I think we've all taken a lot of this 1978 bullshit.

Short, succinct, straight to the point, and right on the fookin money.....can i get an amen?

MM I think you raise a lot of good points, especially about today's music. I was just talking about it at work today. The quality of music continues to decrease with the senseless rap music and the horrible pop music. I'm only 16 years old and I should be like all the other 16 year olds listening to 50 Cent and Eminem or Gwen Stefani and Outkast.

are you calling outkast not good music? cause if you are you're a) wrong, and cool.gif condescending.

the whole anti rap sentiment on this board is fucking ridiculous.

oh, and mark - while i'd love to hear bruce write another thunder road, or generally return to the "i hate my small town" mentality, it wouldn't sounds even half good anymore. so i'll just listen to whatever he releases, and listen to his old stuff more.

Lancing...I have a nine year old who prolly knows more about music than most 20 year olds. I allow him to listen to what he wants..and he has full use of my music. He wont even listen to rap...calls it \"non music\"

I would consider yourself lucky. Sounds like you've got yourself a good kid. He will probably be in my shoes in the next couple years. I don't get along well with most kids in school because I guess you could say I'm a lot more mature than the other kids. I talk about making money and shit and other kids are talking about getting with 8 chicks in one weekend or talking about video games. I don't get it but that's just the way it is in high school, I guess.

talking about making money doesnt make you mature, it makes you sad. and talking about being mature sure as shit doesnt make you mature. you sound like the condescending assholes at my school.

you not getting along well with other kids because you think you're better.

I know Bruce didn't care about the money and he still doesn't. But I doubt he was the one with the 8 chicks! IPB Image

he probably was. and bruce most definatly cares about money.

oh, and mark - while i'd love to hear bruce write another thunder road, or generally return to the \"i hate my small town\" mentality, it wouldn't sounds even half good anymore. so i'll just listen to whatever he releases, and listen to his old stuff more.

Nice idea Poet but a new Thunder Road would probably be more about how "i own my small town".