Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoverInTheCold

I NEED URGENT HELP!!!

I just got home from work and found out that i'm in for the Storytellers contest. Problem: I'm in MN, as most of you know. Obviously, i've read all about the Jersey haunts, never been. How do I even get to RedBank. I must do this. Where do I fly in to? Newark? Then how do I get to Redbank? Where can I stay? My mind is numb. I never thought in a million years I'd be in, and I want nothing more than to go to this. I've got the money, the means...Please, help me put this together guys. Which airport? How far is it to RedBank? HELP!!!!!

LITC

Way to go, LITC!

Glad to know that Minnesota will be represented. Based on a quick look at the map, I'm thinking you'll want to go to Newark and will need to rent a car.

Congratulations, and enjoy!!!

SPBF

Ok first... congrats.... thats awesome...Next fly into Newark and either take NJ Transit (train or bus) to Red Bank. There is a Courtyard Marriott there

UPDATE:

I have booked my flight to Newark. Leaves tomorrow at 6pm, Red-eye's to Newark thru Chicago at 12:05 a.m. tomorrow night/morning. Now how should I go about getting to Redbank, do the trains/busses run all night? What is safe? Should I just take a cab. I don't really want to rent a car. I'm staying at the Molly Pitcher Inn, which is supposed to be just a skip and hop from the performance. Sound good? Mostly, what I need now is help getting from Newark to Redbank and form Redbank back to Newark. If anybody can help, advice or otherwise, I will be forever in the debt of Brucedom to you. My flight out of Newark is at 7pm on the 5th.

LITC

Congratulations! Be sure to represent the North Country! (and I know you will!)

Guest Miami MArk
Its about 35 miless from Newark airport to Red bank...not sure what street the theatre is on...so I cant tell you exact.
Try mapquest.com
Newark Airport is called Liberty Airport now.

You can take a train (NJ Transit) from Newark Airport to Red Bank - would involve at least one change of trains I think - but it is pretty easy. Go to the NJ transit website. Trains run every hour or so. The Inn is walking distance from the Red Bank train station I think.

Guest Miami MArk
yeah..but those trains have some dicey folks on them.

Guest Miami MArk
and that was a good question..

christ, can't some local Laker just go and pick up LITC? I would do it in a second if I wasn't 6,000 miles away.

Newark Airport is called Liberty Airport now.

it is?

Now you all have me a little concerned about the trains. How much do you guys think cab fare from Newark to Redbank would be?

LITC

Oh my god. There is NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TRAINS! taking the train from EWR to Red Bank is so incredibly easy, since there is a NJT station for the East Coast Line that stops RIGHT THERE, and the theater is three feet from the train station, and the place to pick up the tickets is a few blocks away from the theater.

The ONLY possible problem is that the last train leaving Red Bank departs RB at 11:45pm, which - having been at these kinds of things before -- you might not make. However, you will be in a theater with 300 people, many whom might be going your way and would be happy to give you a ride.

But, I repeat: I have taken NJTransit at all hours of the day and night. There are conductors and they do watch the late trains to make sure the assholes stay under control, and they are also not above putting drunk assholes off the train and calling the cops on people who won't pay their fare, much less cause more trouble than that (and that is SO incredibly rare).

Take the train. It's a safe, easy way to get to Red Bank.

Put the addresses of the theater and the inn into maps.google.com and you will get great, clear maps, better than mapquest.
Newark Airport is still called Newark Airport. Don't worry about calling it anything else. The code is EWR.
New Jersey transit's web site is njtransit.com.
This is not a difficult thing to do.

Guest Miami MArk
Sorry I thought LITD was a chick...and that was why I was discounting the trains. And they can be dicey at night...but yes they go right there.
And it is Liberty Airport...
http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrframe.HTM
And I was only trying to help...
I will not do that again.

It's looking like i'm gonna wait in the airport till' Monday morning- only 6 or so hours and then catch some sort of train/bus/cab to RedBank in the early morning. Then i'll have to hang around Redbank for a number of hours (any good restaurants?) check into my hotel around 3, which happens to be the ticket drop. I'll go to the show and come back to my hotel, and then have until 7pm on Tuesday to get back to Newark. It's gonna be wild. But i'm sure i'll figure out something.

LITC

Have a great time, LITC!!!!

Sorry I thought LITD was a chick...and that was why I was discounting the trains. And they can be dicey at night...but yes they go right there.
And it is Liberty Airport...
http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrframe.HTM
And I was only trying to help...
I will not do that again.

oh hell, what do i know. I'm still calling PNC the Garden State Arts Center.

Have a great time, LITC...

(Though I'm the one who feels like I'm in the cold...lol)

You might want to consider getting a cheap room at a Newark airport hotel using Priceline (check out Biddingfortravel to give you an idea - there is a special section for NY area airport hotels - Newark is EWR - there is a recent hotel bid of $45). Or try travelocity. That way you can get some sleep before the concert. Use the airport free shuttle to the hotel, and then back to the airport, where you catch another train to NJ Transit. Or - a trick used by another Laker - walk into a hotel at the airport and ask them for an emergency room rate. Since the rooms are empty anyway - they tend to give them away very cheaply.

When you get to Red Bank my guess is that you will not have to wait until 3 for your room - you are checking in on a Monday in early April after a very crappy weather weekend. Your room might even be ready when you get there.

My guess is that a cab from Newark to Red Bank will run about $100. You are better off spending some of that for a hotel room and taking the train the next day. I've taken that train countless times and it is a nice ride.

Have a great time.

Oh my god. There is NOTHING WRONG WITH THE TRAINS!

Please excuse Miami MArk's accuasation of the trains being highly dangerous places especially at night. MM is very waiflike and sensitive and often, like a paper clip to a magnet, attracts all kinds of evil elements which have resulted in unspeakable uprisings. One time while riding the rails in North Korea the results were more disasterous than a nuclear explosion.

So your see be_true, sometimes we have to be like your namesake, and "be true" to our our hearts as we can be to our companions, our brothers, our sisters, the homeless, and the housed...... and think about the Whole Truth before we start SHOUTING AT PEOPLE!

I once pulled a gun on a guy at a bar and put it to his head and the guy freaked out! I mean completely got upset. I was only joking and later after the gun was away, only then did the guy tell me that one time before he had been robbed and a gun was to his head and he thought it was all over....ya see, I was only joking, looking for a few laughs, but I didn't take into consideration that maybe this guy had a bad experience in the past. I did not see the Whole Truth.......His Truth......selfishly I only thought of mine. He said even toy guns disturb him. I was afraid to disturb him more by relaying the fact that mine was no toy! IPB Image

I still don't understand why some local NJ Laker can't go out, pick up this guy at the airport regardless of it's name, offer this person a place to stay for the night and get him on his way.........but then again, maybe he's ex-manson family (although I can't picture Squeaky Fromme or Tex Watson crankin' up Bruce) and I now apologize for I am not following my own advice and seeing the Whole Truth..

p.s. do you work for a transit company or dating a transit cop or something?

LITC - congratulations on winning IPB Image We're just a touch envious IPB Image

Don't worry about the transport/accommodation issues: You can find pretty much everything online, from schedules to hotels...We found it extremely easy to find our way 'round Bruce country, and we're sure you will, too. Have fun and please keep the Lakers at home posted!!!

Guest Miami MArk
Thanks Tree but I could be being overly cautious on this one. I just think anyone riding trains from out of town late at night is not a good idea. Especially carrying baggage.To those who are usually on the train late at night...they look like an easy mark (no pun).