Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never Growin Up

Bruce statement on Dixie Chicks and free speech 4/22/03

from the official site:

http://brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

A Statement From Bruce Springsteen

The Dixie Chicks have taken a big hit lately for exercising their basic right to express themselves, To me, they're terrific American artists expressing American values by using their American right to free speech. For them to be banished wholesale from radio stations, and even entire radio networks,for speaking out is un-American.

The pressure coming from the government and big business to enforce conformity of thought concerning the war and politics goes against everything that this country is about - namely freedom. Right now, we are supposedly fighting to create free speech in Iraq, at the same time that some are trying to intimidate and punish people for using that same right here at home.

I don't know what happens next, but I do want to add my voice to those who think that the Dixie Chicks are getting a raw deal, and an un-American one to boot. I send them my support.

Bruce Springsteen

A Statement From Bruce Springsteen

The Dixie Chicks have taken a big hit lately for exercising their basic right to express themselvesIn some fashion, To me, they're terrific American artists expressing American values by using their American right to free speechIn soem fashion. For them to be banished wholesale from radio stations, and even entire radio networks,for speaking out is un-AmericanIn some fashion.

The pressure coming from the government and big business to enforce conformity of thought concerning the war and politics goes against everything that this country is about - namely freedomIn some fashion. Right now, we are supposedly fighting to create free speech in Iraq, at the same time that some are trying to intimidate and punish people for using that same right here at homeIn some fashion.

I don't know what happens next, but I do want to add my voice to those who think that the Dixie Chicks are getting a raw deal, and an un-American one to boot. I send them my supportIn some fashion.

Bruce Springsteen

Breadman   

This has even become an issue here in Australia

But then again, we have commercial radio stations here that just suck.

Bruce is right. Free speech is a basic human right. To judge someone for their beliefs is unjust.

And if ive got this right, the short chick was quoted out of context?????

adam

PS - is their Landslide track the same as the Smashing Pumpkins version? I swear ive heard it somewhere before

And if ive got this right, the short chick was quoted out of context?????

adam

PS - is their Landslide track the same as the Smashing Pumpkins version? I swear ive heard it somewhere before

Yeah, it was the lead singer. And that track was done originally by Fleetwood Mac. Not sure I've ever heard the Pumpkins do a version.

It's funny......this chick says one thing and their pulling their songs off the radio. Bruce has been saying stuff like this for years!! Oh yeah, I forgot....they have to play him on the radio before they pull his songs

Adamdude   

Its one thing to speak your mind, and its another thing to denounce your own President( she didnt need to broadcast it to the whole world if that was her opinion of him, she could have said she was against the war without talking about the president), Bruce made a good point, But the Dixie Bitch is still an ASSHOLE

Its one thing to speak your mind, and its another thing to denounce your own President( she didnt need to broadcast it to the whole world if that was her opinion of him, she could have said she was against the war without talking about the president), Bruce made a good point, But the Dixie Bitch is still an ASSHOLE

And you have the RIGHT to say that, just as she had the RIGHT to say what she did. Bad timing or judgement nonwithstanding....

As always, it's interesting that people, including Bruce, will jump to defend the right of the Dixie Chicks to say what they want, but not the right of broadcast entities to play what they want.

The Chix should have known their comments might be unpopular and should have been prepared to bear the weight of that decision.

As always, it's interesting that people, including Bruce, will jump to defend the right of the Dixie Chicks to say what they want, but not the right of broadcast entities to play what they want.

The Chix should have known their comments might be unpopular and should have been prepared to bear the weight of that decision.

I think the point is that the right of an individual to free speech is more important than the right of a company to play songs it wants.

MaryDove   

the best sign of support is to buy a Dixie Chicks album...in the music business (like in most businesses, its the $$ that does the talking). If their fan base sticks by 'em, then this will all blow over soon...

Its time to face facts: we misunderestimated Bush after all... he's not a moron, he's an imbecile.

No one is stepping on their "Freedom of Speech". They said what they thought they had to say. How someone chooses to respond is also their American right. So , people are allowed to disagree with the President but not the Dixie Chicks? What is the big friggin deal here? They said something alot of people don't agree with, and now the Chicks are finding out many of their fans didn't feel the same way they did on this subject. Your fans make you rich and famous, but they can also bring you down.

Lsusteve   

I agree. It is amazing that when someone exercises their right to free speech and others who then exercise their right of free speech in opposition to the Chicks are then the ones who are taken to task.

If radio stations and/or fans decide, for whatever reason, that they don't like what is said it is their perogotive to act and say what they want as well. If this means pulling the Dixie Chicks from their music rotation, so be it.

While we have free speech, that is protected, often times there are consequences to that free speech that are also protected.

Its time to face facts: we misunderestimated Bush after all... he's not a moron, he's an imbecile.

LMAO! Mary, please come join us in the political forum!

XO   
I think Bruce can be a penis sometimes.

You just don't get it, Bushy! Those like me and our likeminded Europeans are pumping their paws in the air right now. Way to go, Bruce. I think more political and social statements are forthcoming in song and in future "statements!" Bruce is not gonna just sit around and watch Shrub get re-elected, he is gonna fight the good fight. Why in the heck do you conservatives think he is belting out No Surrender with War, BIUSA, and Who'll Stop The Rain? Just reread the previous sentence - there's your answer.

NO RETREAT and No Suuuuuurender!!

By the way, thanks to Mikey for the Sacramento show. Good stuff!!!!

Rocco

Perhaps this would have been better posted on the "fight club" board but I'm glad Bruce issued this statement.

1) I am a huge Dixie Chicks fan.
2) I agree with their statements

Their latest single is "Travelin' Soldier". It's about the tragic loss of a young man who never really got to "live". Lost his life in Viet Nam. (Another war fought for all the wrong reasons IMO)

So Country radio and CMT/VHI Country was playing the crap out of that song. What hypocrites! It’s as if the message changed.

GOD BLESS BRUCE AND THE DIXIE CHICKS! When we as Americans start believing in this “Liberty and Justice for Some” mentality, we’ve lost and the enemy has won. What supposedly separates us from the rest of the world is that we have the right to live as we wish, pray how we want, and say what we say, without fear. This idea that the “real God” is on our side is the same ridiculous motivation that inspires fanatics into flying planes into buildings full of innocent people.

Keep asking yourself…Why do they HATE us so much!

PEACE!

This idea that the “real God” is on our side is the same ridiculous motivation that inspires fanatics into flying planes into buildings full of innocent people.

Good point! You should come join us at the fight club as well

Its one thing to speak your mind, and its another thing to denounce your own President( she didnt need to broadcast it to the whole world if that was her opinion of him, she could have said she was against the war without talking about the president)

No, it's not! It's one in the same, and it's a right guaranteed to you by the U.S. Constitution!

Guest bushmanj   
Guest bushmanj

I like the Dixie Chicks, Balloon Man. I still think Natalie was a chicken shit fool to say what she did overseas. If she said it here, I'd just call her a fool. That's my right.

If her fans don't like it, they have the option to not buy her albums and/or concert tickets. I really don't see the problem. If the radio stations are getting hate mail and complaints from their listeners, they have the right to make a business decision based on those complaints. God knows the "left" has bitched and moaned about enough stuff to get things "handled" for their side in the past. It works both ways.

God bless America!

XO   
I agree. It is amazing that when someone exercises their right to free speech and others who then exercise their right of free speech in opposition to the Chicks are then the ones who are taken to task.

If radio stations and/or fans decide, for whatever reason, that they don't like what is said it is their perogotive to act and say what they want as well. If this means pulling the Dixie Chicks from their music rotation, so be it.

While we have free speech, that is protected, often times there are consequences to that free speech that are also protected.

You're missing the point. A radio station's #1 job is to serve the public interest. They do not do much of that anymore. Many simply play music and run a few non-profit shows on the weekend. That said, one of their main duties to the public is to play the songs that top the charts in their respective niche, not to pull them because the artist said something they disagree with. It is bull shit and it is un-American.

I have said it a thousand times and I will say it agian despite the criticism it will surely provoke. I have no idea how some of you cats are such big Bruce fans. What do you do during BIUSA, WAR, Who'll Stop the Rain, No Surrender (sung with DEFIANCE, baby!), American Skin, and his speeches on civil liberities, etc -- just to name a few -- cuz you sure aren't pumping your fists and if you are, you must just really like the harmonies, cuz that has got to be where it begins and ends for you cats.

"Part dance party, part religous revival, part political rally!"

Don't forget that last part.

Rocco

I don't see what's the big deal here. The Dixie Chicks exercised their right to free speech and then radio stations and retailers exercised their rights to play and sell what they want.

Freedom of speech works both ways. Now if the government pressured some people, that's a different story.