Sign in to follow this  
Fig

The Story behind the I'm Goin' Down Request

Im gonna try to keep this short and sweet. Before I get into the story I need to Thank Bernie for offering me her GA tickets when she found out she couldn’t go to the show. I have no idea why she chose to offer them to me, but I cannot thank her enough for doing so. Without her kindness I would not be writing this story.

So im gonna start the story when I got into the Pit. This was my second time in the Pit, the first was Rochester, I ended up 3rd row in front of Clarence. For this show I wanted to be in the front but it I really wanted Ricky to be as close as possible since I had been in the Pit before. I was 30 people ahead of Ricky so I got to the pit first and saw the whole left side of the stage was open so that’s where I headed. I ended up right in the corner of the PIT! I thought that was the perfect spot for the show because Bruce spends allot of time on the edge of the stage about 5 feet in front of me. Little did I know how much time bruce was going to be spending there later that night. The “I’m Goin’ Down” gang arrived next. I did not know any of them before the show, they were a bunch of college kids ready to have a great time. They asked me if this was a good spot and I said yes and then asked if it was ok if my brother could come up with is once he got in. They had no problem with that and as soon as Ricky arrived the 7 of us plus the two guys who were already there made a pact that no-one else would get in this space.

We now had 2 plus hours to kill before the show. During this time we found out From Small Things was sound checked 3 times along with Streets of Philly. None of us knew From Small things except the 2 guys in front of us and they were explaining how it’s a rockin’ bar song and we will all love it. We all shared stories from the other concerts we were at and checked out the song the guys had written on their two signs “I’m Goin’ Down” we joked about how awesome it would be if he played it, little did we know what would happen in about 2 hours. About this time Joe arrived at the pit and worked his way infront of these guys, it looked like a situation was gonna break out, till I told them that I knew Joe and he was cool. I pulled Joe aside and asked him since he has been in the pit before and it was everyone else’s first time if he didn’t mind staying to the side. He had no problem and even though he is a Giants fan and cant write a post without taking a jab at the Eagles, he really is a good guy.

I had an idea this might be a special night when Kevin, Bruce guitar guy was walking by on stage and zappy yells “Yo Kev!!” and he throws a pic at us. Someone behind us got it but gave it to one of the guys in the “I’m Going Down” gang. At that point, I knew Joe would be allowed to stay up front with us.

Now the lights go out and the music starts the crowd starts to go nuts and I turn around and about 5 people deep is a father and the cutest little boy with blonde hair and blue eyes. We later found out the kid is not yet 5 years old. Right away I told Ricky and Zappy that we have to let the dad and the kid up front during Waitin’ on a sunny day. So we tell the dad this right before the show and the smile on his face said it all. That is how we got Bruce’s attention the first time. We exploited a 4 year old

Im gonna skip my review of most of the songs cause I really cant add more then what has been said by others. So right after “Empty Sky” we make room and the dad and his son move to the front. Im thinking to myself this is gonna be cool cause I know how Bruce plays up to kids when he sees them in the crowd. Well, as Bruce made it to our part of the stage the first time and looking at the crowd all 10 of us are pointing at the little kid. Bruce looks to see what we are pointing at notices the kid, gets the biggest smile on his face and sings the next line or two of the song to him. This is also the first time Bruce noticed the “I’m Goin’ Down” signs. Bruce goes all the way out to the right part of the stage and on his way back points at the little kid and smiles on his way by. At this point im thinking, how cool it was to make this fathers night by letting him up front and having Bruce sing to his son. Bruce looks over at us once or twice during Waitin’ but im not thinking much of it at this point. I will add that the 10 of us were going nuts the whole show, singing fists pumping in the air, bouncing up and down, just having a great time. I also think at some point during this song they showed the two “I’m Goin’ Down” signs on the big screen for the first time.

Fast forward to Mary’s place, this song is when it hit us that Bruce might actually play “I’m Goin’ Down” Again we let the father and his son up front and joked about giving one of the signs to the little kid. I must say I really don’t like this song but when you are in the front row you don’t dislike any song. So at some point Bruce is 5 feet away from us and points at one of the guys with the sign and says “That’s Right, I’m Talking to you” Well we went nuts jumping up and down we couldn’t believe it. I was thinking I can tell people when they hear this on the Boot that Bruce was talking to the group of guys I was with in the pit!!

Fast forward to the encores. When Bruce comes out and says they are gonna play a few requests, and people started yelling out songs. Bruce replied not new ones requests we have already received. I cant explain the anticipation of that first song. When Roy started the piano intro to Incident, well Ricky gave me the biggest hug, because that was THE SONG he wanted to hear, and he was in the 2nd row of the pit to hear it.

Now comes the big moment. Bruce comes to the mic and says:

"We're continuing with the requests and we're going to play one we haven't done since 1986. I'm not even sure I have the right guitar, but since I've got it, it's the right one now. I'm going to start off and hopefully everyone in the band remembers their parts and will join in” Then he points to us and says “this is for the guys over there” Words cannot explain how we reacted or how we felt, we actually got a song we requested played!! I was like I cant wait to tell everyone when they hear this on the Boot Bruce was talking about the little group I was in when he said who the song was for!!!

From that point on Bruce kept looking our way and pointing at us and laughing at us as we continued to go nuts!!!

The highlight of my night came during Rosie when Bruce came out to the side of the stage I was wearing an Asbury Park Fire department T-Shirt thanks to Michele!!! Bruce noticed it pointed at me and smiled. I couldn’t believe it! I owe that moment to Michele for sending me the T-Shirt, so Thank you Michele for making an incredible night even better.

Well that’s the story. Longer then I thought it would be but not as long as it could have been.

• Bruuuuce! 1

Wow, what a great post. I'm blown away by the setlist. Looks like you guys made Bruce's night as much as he made yours.

Thats what the security guards told us after the show.

I left some stuff out of the story so it wouldnt be so long

All I know is that when he comes back to Philly I am not passing up on the opportunity

to see him there....

That's an awesome story Fig!!! Glad you guy's had a great time!

Fig,

I'm so glad you shared this story with us. My only wish is that I could have been there too! I'll have my request for GS ready for 8/31!

The highlight of my night came during Rosie when Bruce came out to the side of the stage I was wearing an Asbury Park Fire department T-Shirt thanks to Michele!!! Bruce noticed it pointed at me and smiled. I couldn’t believe it! I owe that moment to Michele for sending me the T-Shirt, so Thank you Michele for making an incredible night even better.

She's the bestest!

Reading all these posts makes me wish I wasn't a casual fan and went to all 3 shows.

Fig - think I could use that lucky shirt in Denver?

I'm glad that you had such a great time. Will we be seeing a classic Fig Tree for the show soon?

Oh my ....I was getting goose bumps reading your story...I am sooooo happy for your wonderful experience....and it jacked up the level of my anticipation and excitement about my first PIT experience this saturday....WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!

Thanks For sharing.......

Great story Fig! Makes me excited for my upcoming pit show(s) in Buffalo and (hopefully) Toronto (long story).

I was just getting depressed over the lack of enthusiasm here in Chicago for tomorrow's show and then I read your awesome story. A moment you'll never forget.

Very cool read, Fig! You guys really helped make the concert great for everyone there!!!

I'm now making it my life's goal to be in the Pit at some point in my life!!!!!!!!!!! I am through with being the Queen of the Crappy Seats!

Cool story. I was wondering when I'm Goin' Down would return. It was the only song off BITUSA he hadn't played since the 80's. You think if I bring a sign saying "Price You Pay" he'll play it, lol!

I am certain my shirt is in the mail ....i swear I won in a freebie and it just hasnt come