Greasy Lake Community

Ryan Adams

East

QUOTE(East @ Dec 29 2005, 08:55 PM) [snapback]931452[/snapback]

...really liking the new record. Anyone else got it?

'Elizabeth, you we're born to play that part' is simply beautiful. Classic Ryan.

Got 29 but haven't had a chance to listen to it much yet. Loved Cold Roses and Jacksonville City Nights. It's honest music up there with the greats of alt-country.

Ryan Adams talents as a musician and songwriter vastly surpass those of Bruce Springsteen, U2 and all those other charlatans stuck to the routine of of overhyped album every 3-5 years followed by overhyped tour followed by DVD etc.
Can you believe I don't have this yet??!?!? I have actually been too busy to go pick it up!! But I've heard so many great things about it. I don't like JCN as well as Cold Roses because, well, there's very little I like in the Universe right now as much as Cold Roses!! And JCN has some really morbid schite on it. Not that I can't be in the mood for that, just haven't been in the last few months. OK, I better run out and get 29 now...
Quote" Ryan Adams talents as a musician and songwriter vastly surpass those of Bruce Springsteen, U2 and all those other charlatans stuck to the routine of of overhyped album every 3-5 years followed by overhyped tour followed by DVD etc. "

Oooooh, an early contender for dumbest post of the year.....
QUOTE(Handsome Dan @ Jan 1 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]933920[/snapback]

Quote" Ryan Adams talents as a musician and songwriter vastly surpass those of Bruce Springsteen, U2 and all those other charlatans stuck to the routine of of overhyped album every 3-5 years followed by overhyped tour followed by DVD etc. "

Oooooh, an early contender for dumbest post of the year/century/EVER

QUOTE(Handsome Dan @ Jan 1 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]933920[/snapback]

There's a thin line between taking too much time between releases and stretching yourself too thin with too many releases.
QUOTE(borntorun1630 @ Jan 1 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]934054[/snapback]

QUOTE(Handsome Dan @ Jan 1 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]933920[/snapback]

There's a thin line between taking too much time between releases and stretching yourself too thin with too many releases.

Good point. Not everything you lay down is the studio is release worthy (bruce, please ignore that previous statement...)....sometimes less is more, as they say...
so far the only thing grabbing me is the Grateful Dead "Truckin'" ripped-off-rythmn of the first song, which I like very much. one of the other songs though I can't name it at the moment, I also liked. I will just make a mix of my favorite tunes from the last three records and create my own magnificent Ryan record.
I must be the only one here who liked JCN better than CR. CR was great, but it struck me as being somewhat generic. Like a Tom Petty record or something. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Petty, but that jangly rock sound has become something of a cliche. JCN was far from original either, but at least it was a throw back to a less imitated style...and it got me seeking out music that I missed the first time around (i.e. Gram Parsons...thanks for hooking me up with some of that history Treechrist). Haunting stuff.

Oh, c'mon, Handsome Dan, that's a bit of an over the top response. You don't have to agree with my tastes in music or my views on rock dinosaurs, but why not take up the points made rather than resorting to petty insults.
Ryan Adams has some great songs, but he needs to realize that everything that comes out of his head doesn't need an official release. I was very disappointed with JCN. Very few songs on it are worth more than one or two listens at best.

Rock N Roll also sucked. Heartbreaker has some great songs but I think it's WAY over-rated. That said, Gold is phenomenal almost all the way through (except for the horrid SYLVIA PLATH (I still can't figure out why that's in caps) and Demolition has some pretty damn good songs. I don't have Love is Hell so I can't comment on that.

And I would never pay to see him live. If someone gave me tickets and it was close by I'd check it out, but his reputation on the stage is approaching George Jones, and I don't appreciate being insulted by someone too strung out to act like a professional.
[quote] Ryan Adams talents as a musician and songwriter vastly surpass those of Bruce Springsteen, U2 and all those other charlatans stuck to the routine of of overhyped album every 3-5 years followed by overhyped tour followed by DVD etc. [quote]

You're not a music critic by trade, are you? dry.gif
[quote name='JustDan' date='Jan 4 2006, 09:02 PM' post='937073']
[quote] Ryan Adams talents as a musician and songwriter vastly surpass those of Bruce Springsteen, U2 and all those other charlatans stuck to the routine of of overhyped album every 3-5 years followed by overhyped tour followed by DVD etc. [quote]

You're not a music critic by trade, are you? dry.gif
[/quote]

No. Why'd you ask?
I love all of Ryan's work apart from JCN of which I like 4/5 tracks. Rock and roll is great.....take it for exactly what it is. Love is Hell 1 & 2 are fantastic. Good call on the 3 cd mix treechrist Im gonna do the same.

He does appear to be a bit of a tit when on stage but for the chance to witness his amazing songwriting and gorgeous music first hand would be well worth risking him throwing a wobbler.

His music IMO is just perfect for listening to when your in a reflective quiet mood without making you get too sentimental and down.
QUOTE(JohnF @ Jan 4 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]937001[/snapback]

Oh, c'mon, Handsome Dan, that's a bit of an over the top response. You don't have to agree with my tastes in music or my views on rock dinosaurs, but why not take up the points made rather than resorting to petty insults.

You gotta be pretty stupid to post that nonsense on a springsteen board, don't ya think? And you made no valid point, rather a broad statement that was panned by a number of folks, in this thread, and also in the main forum, where i copied your comments, to make sure everyone had their laugh for the day...to put Adams in the same league as Springsteen , let alone Dylan is inane, and without merit...take that shite back to tinkerbell.com, or whatever adams "official" site is...you may find believers there, not here in the real world...
Just for the record, I've seen Ryan live 5 times and never been insulted. In fact, one time he bought us all beers!! (True story) I would pay just to sit and listen to him yammer on and do that completely un-self-censored thing he does without the music! Sometimes he talks all night, sometimes he barely says a word. But he's never missed when he picks up his instrument and starts to play, in my opinion.

I really dig Rock-n-Roll too, East. Love Is Hell has grown on me and I love it now, too. Actually, I think Gold is a little boring as recorded, but I've seen and heard some amazing renditions of those songs that rise way above the album.

And then there's WHISKEYTOWN...
QUOTE(Kirsten @ Jan 4 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]937234[/snapback]

Just for the record, I've seen Ryan live 5 times and never been insulted. In fact, one time he bought us all beers!! (True story) I would pay just to sit and listen to him yammer on and do that completely un-self-censored thing he does without the music! Sometimes he talks all night, sometimes he barely says a word. But he's never missed when he picks up his instrument and starts to play, in my opinion.

I really dig Rock-n-Roll too, East. Love Is Hell has grown on me and I love it now, too. Actually, I think Gold is a little boring as recorded, but I've seen and heard some amazing renditions of those songs that rise way above the album.

For the record also, i am not debating whether Adams has talent. He does, and like i said before, if he manages to sober up, lay off the dope and put it all together for once, he could become someone who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Dylan. For now, he should focus and work on being mentioned in the same breath as Kool & The Gang...
QUOTE(Handsome Dan @ Jan 5 2006, 01:44 AM) [snapback]937258[/snapback]

QUOTE(Kirsten @ Jan 4 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]937234[/snapback]

For the record also, i am not debating whether Adams has talent. He does, and like i said before, if he manages to sober up, lay off the dope and put it all together for once, he could become someone who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Dylan. For now, he should focus and work on being mentioned in the same breath as Kool & The Gang...
you really like to get people all riled up? Just wondering if you've ever tried therapy. It is a good way to deal with all that inside aggression.

Archived