Greasy Lake Community

J. Geils Band

Jack Knife

QUOTE(Mystery Tramp @ Feb 9 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]975263[/snapback]

This is a good album. Turn it up real loud, open up the windows, wake up your neighbors...

Right?

Yes, very good, but is it better than Blow Your Face Out?
QUOTE(Handsome Dan @ Feb 9 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]975270[/snapback]

QUOTE(Mystery Tramp @ Feb 9 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]975263[/snapback]

This is a good album. Turn it up real loud, open up the windows, wake up your neighbors...

Right?

Yes, very good, but is it better than Blow Your Face Out?

Both are great, I prefer "Blow Your Face Out" but that's probably because it was a 2 discer.
gotta love Magic Dick and his harmonica

"Magic Dick and his lickin' stick", as Peter Wolf sould say.

When I was a little kid, my older brother always listened to the "Full House" album on his headphones in our bedroom late at night. I often went off to sleep to the sounds of "Whammer Jammer".

"Whammer Jammer's up ahead of ya, dig it!" cool.gif
I love'em. Seen them numerous times, in their club days and after the became "big". The concert on New Years Eve 1981 in Portland, Maine is still on my top ten shows of all time. They were simply on fire- a new years eve gig, you expect the band to start late so they can celebrate midnight on stage. Nope, they started at 9 PM, and played for almost 4 hours. And it was no filler- they played EVERYTHING. I went home drenched in sweat from dancing in the aisle, and blow your face out was on the record player for weeks after that...

Opening act was Jon Butcher Axis, and i loved them too. Jon Butcher is a great guitarist, never got his due, first album is incredible, wish they would release it on CD....

My Top 5 Geils Albums:

Love Stinks
Blow Your Face Out
Full House
Freeze Frame
Sanctuary

I still get stoked if "hard drivin man" comes on the radio...

The name J Geils always makes me laugh.

Geil = Horny in Dutch... it makes him (!? Is he a person?) sound like some dirty old man in a long rain coat hanging round on the corner of the street.
QUOTE(J @ Feb 10 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]975769[/snapback]

The name J Geils always makes me laugh.

Geil = Horny in Dutch... it makes him (!? Is he a person?) sound like some dirty old man in a long rain coat hanging round on the corner of the street.

"Sitting on a park bench, eyeing little girls with bad intent"...opps, wrong band. Never mind.
Funny that you say that. When my knees would still allow me to jump roap like crazy, one of my favorite albums to play was Hotline - esp. the first side. That is crazy rock and roll!

My biggest concert regret is that I had tickets for them at a small venue in the early 80s. I had an exam and I went to college an hour and half away from home, which is where the show was. I had to give my ticket to a friend of mine, who never let me forget how great it was. (I don't know how I couldn't get out of the exam - unlike the first Bruce show I ever saw - where the prof let me take the exam a day early, so I could go home and see Bruce!)
Was not Landau an early influence/producer of the J Geils band?

Landau and Peter Wolf were friends; I guess that they met in Boston sometime in the '60s. I think Landau also produced some early sessions for the band's first album, but he was quickly replaced.
Love the J Geils Band, love Full House...have listened to it for years and years and years...

However...

One evening in a galaxy far far away and just above the Northern Arizona high country a good friend and I jumped through that interstellar window in search of the Great Beyond. Our soundtrack for that epic journey: The Allman Brothers Live At Fillmore East, Eat A Peach and The Grateful Dead's Europe '72

In the heart of the evening we tried to get it with Full House...the resulting clash of place and mind with the urban barrage of Peter, J. Geils, Seth Justman, and Magic Dick made our heads explode...literally.

We were forced to rip the LP from the turntable (this was a looong time ago) and sail that record out the window...back to The Brothers.

My humble apologies to the band...
QUOTE(Handsome Dan @ Feb 10 2006, 05:56 AM) [snapback]975471[/snapback]

I love'em. Seen them numerous times, in their club days and after the became "big". The concert on New Years Eve 1981 in Portland, Maine is still on my top ten shows of all time. They were simply on fire- a new years eve gig, you expect the band to start late so they can celebrate midnight on stage. Nope, they started at 9 PM, and played for almost 4 hours. And it was no filler- they played EVERYTHING. I went home drenched in sweat from dancing in the aisle, and blow your face out was on the record player for weeks after that...

Opening act was Jon Butcher Axis, and i loved them too. Jon Butcher is a great guitarist, never got his due, first album is incredible, wish they would release it on CD....

My Top 5 Geils Albums:

Love Stinks
Blow Your Face Out
Full House
Freeze Frame
Sanctuary

I still get stoked if "hard drivin man" comes on the radio...

Butcher's "Barefoot Servants" is another personal fave of mine... I still have copies of the first JBA tape, just so I can keep listening to it smile.gif

Glen

Archived