Greasy Lake Community

Is Coldplay the new u2/Bruce...

trashman00

QUOTE(Fig @ Feb 10 2006, 12:48 AM) [snapback]975302[/snapback]

Don't Know & Don't Care

Don't be so churlish. smile.gif I think that Coldplay are a decently more than mediocre band who will have (have had?) their moments.
They will never invoke the devotion that Bruce (or U2) have because they do not really mean it in the same way.
I do not mind if they prove me wrong on this. I liked Yellow.
QUOTE(trashman00 @ Feb 10 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]975283[/snapback]

The lead singer really has a strong stage performance... Not that big a fan of his voice, but they have a real U2 sound to them with Bruce's old stage antics.

I thought this same thing last night. I think they have the lasting power to remain respectable like Dave Matthews.
Coldplay is one of the few bands selling millions of records today that i actually respect. while i don't have any of their records i respect them as artists and the fact that they actually have something to say politically.. not just shove mediocre industry crap down our throats means alot nowadays (pearl jam and dmb can't do it alone). i wouldn't go as far as to call them the new springsteen/u2 but they're getting there.
QUOTE(glooper23 @ Feb 10 2006, 01:30 AM) [snapback]975316[/snapback]

The lead singer really has a strong stage performance... Not that big a fan of his voice, but they have a real U2 sound to them with Bruce's old stage antics.

I thought this same thing last night. I think they have the lasting power to remain respectable like Dave Matthews.

When was Dave Matthews ever respectable?
QUOTE(J @ Feb 10 2006, 09:01 AM) [snapback]975507[/snapback]

QUOTE(glooper23 @ Feb 10 2006, 01:30 AM) [snapback]975316[/snapback]

When was Dave Matthews ever respectable?

yeah, I can't stand the sound of the guy (DM) and Chris Martin looks completely out of place and uncomfortable onstage except when sitting at the piano, plus there is the issue I have with them using 40 harddrives of pre-recorded music pumping in sound for their live shows.
Wow, I'm suprised how many people like Coldplay on here.

I quite like the latest album. They're gettin better with each released IMO. The first one I didn't like at all. The 2nd was alot better and the latest like I said is really quite good.

As for them being the next U2 or Bruce though......they're no where near!!!
It's ok man, it's nothing special... it's neither offensive nor great.

It's one of those bands that I can listen to but would never chose to listen to... it doesn't grate on me but I would never put their CD on myself.

Imho.
I've never liked their stuff myself, it's all a bit too whiny for me. I, personally, think they just kind of got caught up in a hype when they released the first album.
Let's see if they're releasing boxsets of their best albums in 30 years time rolleyes.gif cool.gif smile.gif
QUOTE(Mr.M @ Feb 10 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]975527[/snapback]

I've never liked their stuff myself, it's all a bit too whiny for me. I, personally, think they just kind of got caught up in a hype when they released the first album.
Let's see if they're releasing boxsets of their best albums in 30 years time rolleyes.gif cool.gif smile.gif

I bet you they will.
i don't get the appeal for Coldplay OR DMB. And i should as i'm in the 'middle' age range for their popularity. But they both get on my nerves.

i kept reading about how sexy & hot the Coldplay guy was and everytime i saw him i went "Huh? No, must be the wrong guy. My Gramma could beat up that guy. There's a hot guy in the band, some camera should find him!"

Eh, whatever. You guys are buying albums, so they'll be popular. YAY!

An American Idol winner is now a Grammy winner (and won more than Bruce!). Ya get what you deserve, apparently. America deserves pre-packaged, prototype, regurgitated lyrics.

Ahhhhhh

The big question is whether they will have staying power. I don't have any of their records, but I've heard a little of their stuff and some of it is interesting. Bruce is into his fourth decade making music. U2 is in their third. Will Coldplay last that long? Time will tell.
QUOTE(baertb @ Feb 10 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]975529[/snapback]

QUOTE(Mr.M @ Feb 10 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]975527[/snapback]

I bet you they will.

That sounds like safe bet to me!
I'm not sure about the "new Bruce" stuff - I'd be inclined to say no. But I do like them alot, although I believe x&y was a step backward from the excellent Rush of Blood album. They got really lazy with their lyrics on x&y, if you want my amateur opinion.

Phil
coldplay are a group in thier own right, they are absolutley phenomenol and in no way should they be put in the same group as U2 or bruce, admittadly speed of sound has a U2 ring to it but thats about it, X&Y is an amazing album but compared to bruce or U2 thats wrong, each of those bands are unique
QUOTE(ritzy @ Feb 10 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]976251[/snapback]

coldplay are a group in thier own right, they are absolutley phenomenol and in no way should they be put in the same group as U2 or bruce, admittadly speed of sound has a U2 ring to it but thats about it, X&Y is an amazing album but compared to bruce or U2 thats wrong, each of those bands are unique

yup. why do peeps always have to compare? I didn't like Coldplay at first, but A Rush of Blood to the Head was amazing. I've seen them live a couple of times and they have a great live show. It's still too early to say whether they'll have staying power, but they are off to a very strong start.

And Dave Matthews Band also puts on a great live show. As someone else on this thread said, DMB and Pearl Jam are among the handful of bands these days who give you your money's worth at a show. I'd include U2 in that group, too.

Their roots are in the British college / university indie scene. This is a loathsome type of music. Whiny suburban middle class melodrama.

Brits haven't known how to rock since the '70's and 80's rock and metal era. American music is infinitely superior.

Just my opinion.

Archived