Greasy Lake Community

Maria McKee Review

Skin2Skin

I was expecting something along the lines of her new cd--mellow, folkie Maria. HA! Was I on drugs? She wasn't the high wire act of the High Dive Maria (a tour I saw last time around, with the band), but her dramatic intensity is even more effective for me in the new setting...

She came out a little late because she had been "locked in" the dressing room--I think the door was stuck. You know Maria is always going to be a little bit of a "little diva." She started off kinda mellow, but right after she did Shelter (third song!), she went into Absolutely Barking Stars, so I knew this was only going to be a slightly toned down Maria.

She was in great voice and I was sitting right up front. She brought a backup vocalist, Susan Otten, a woman with a mellow Goth persona who I spoke to briefly after the show (she was very nice). You could tell they were good friends and that she helped relax Maria.

Highlights for me were Breathe (it was exquisite), and BACKSTREETS, which I really loved. It was just Maria pounding at the piano. Lest you think I would love any Bruce cover, I really didn't like her version of Candy's Room at all--too bombastic and martial for my tastes. But Backstreets was really beautiful, a vvvs moment. In fact, I preferred her version to Bruce's acoustic performance in Trenton.

There were a lot of surprises for me in the set. I was expecting Backstreets, but Blessed Salvation is a song her half-brother Bryan Maclean (Love) wrote. And Orange Skies is a Love cover. I also thought she'd do more from the new album, which I really like, so that was kinda disappointing...and Sullen Soul was also a surprise, because it's one of the more electric songs from the new album. I loved this version, though. And Life is Sweet at the end was just wonderful. I prefer the acoustic version to the original (not my usual mode of preference).

She played an hour and a half, which for her is a long set.

I loved this show. My favorite Maria album is You Gotta Sin to Get Saved, and she kinda lost me with the Life is Sweet and High Dive albums...I'm just not a music hall bombast kinda gal. While she didn't do anything from my favorite album, I cherished Don't Toss Us Away--she spoke some of the lyrics in a classic country vein and it really worked.

The whole thing worked for me. What a voice! And at the small Tin Angel, it was like having a professional little diva creating a mood piece in your living room...

Setlist:

This World Is Not My Home
Peddlin' Dreams
Shelter
Absolutely Barking Stars
Barstool Blues
Dixie Storms
Orange Skies
Breathe
In the Long Run
Don't Toss Us Away
A Good Heart
The Bridge
Belfry
Sullen Soul
Blessed Salvation
Has He Got A Friend For Me
Backstreets

Encores:

My One True Love
Life Is Sweet

QUOTE(CosmicKid @ Feb 10 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]975922[/snapback]

Thanks for the review. I'm a big Maria fan. Unlike you Life Is Sweet is my favorite album of hers. In fact, it's one of my favorite albums by anyone!

It's my husband's favorite, too. I know it very well because of him.

"Has he got a friend for me."
EXCELLENT choice of a cover.
Oh and that Backstreets thing too.
2/23 at Cafe du Nord in San Francisco, Ms. McKee will be performing.
The only open question is do I propose to her before, after or during the show?
QUOTE(Skin2Skin @ Feb 10 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]975869[/snapback]

I was expecting something along the lines of her new cd--mellow, folkie Maria. HA! Was I on drugs? She wasn't the high wire act of the High Dive Maria (a tour I saw last time around, with the band), but her dramatic intensity is even more effective for me in the new setting...

She came out a little late because she had been "locked in" the dressing room--I think the door was stuck. You know Maria is always going to be a little bit of a "little diva." She started off kinda mellow, but right after she did Shelter (third song!), she went into Absolutely Barking Stars, so I knew this was only going to be a slightly toned down Maria.

She was in great voice and I was sitting right up front. She brought a backup vocalist, Susan Otten, a woman with a mellow Goth persona who I spoke to briefly after the show (she was very nice). You could tell they were good friends and that she helped relax Maria.

Highlights for me were Breathe (it was exquisite), and BACKSTREETS, which I really loved. It was just Maria pounding at the piano. Lest you think I would love any Bruce cover, I really didn't like her version of Candy's Room at all--too bombastic and martial for my tastes. But Backstreets was really beautiful, a vvvs moment. In fact, I preferred her version to Bruce's acoustic performance in Trenton.

There were a lot of surprises for me in the set. I was expecting Backstreets, but Blessed Salvation is a song her half-brother Bryan Maclean (Love) wrote. And Orange Skies is a Love cover. I also thought she'd do more from the new album, which I really like, so that was kinda disappointing...and Sullen Soul was also a surprise, because it's one of the more electric songs from the new album. I loved this version, though. And Life is Sweet at the end was just wonderful. I prefer the acoustic version to the original (not my usual mode of preference).

She played an hour and a half, which for her is a long set.

I loved this show. My favorite Maria album is You Gotta Sin to Get Saved, and she kinda lost me with the Life is Sweet and High Dive albums...I'm just not a music hall bombast kinda gal. While she didn't do anything from my favorite album, I cherished Don't Toss Us Away--she spoke some of the lyrics in a classic country vein and it really worked.

The whole thing worked for me. What a voice! And at the small Tin Angel, it was like having a professional little diva creating a mood piece in your living room...

Setlist:

This World Is Not My Home
Peddlin' Dreams
Shelter
Absolutely Barking Stars
Barstool Blues
Dixie Storms
Orange Skies
Breathe
In the Long Run
Don't Toss Us Away
A Good Heart
The Bridge
Belfry
Sullen Soul
Blessed Salvation
Has He Got A Friend For Me
Backstreets

Encores:

My One True Love
Life Is Sweet

So you liked huh Mrs Lincoln??
I completely agree with you on her version of Candy's Room. I felt like she just didn't get it. Would love to hear her Backstreets!

Very cool to see Has He Got A Friend For Me. That song (or maybe it's her voice) melts my heart.

Thanks for the review.
QUOTE(Skin2Skin @ Feb 13 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]978180[/snapback]

Sweet, Sweet Baby Mine is still one of my favorites in the MM catalogue.

Miama MArk wrote that?
Hard to believe - there isn't a "dem", "dese", or "lawdy" in the whole song.
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived