Greasy Lake Community

Walk The Line out on the 28th

ActionJackson

Can't wait to buy this. Anyone else have it preordered or going to buy it when it comes out? Highly recommended, and not just because I'm a Cash fan. A truly great film for movie lovers too. It is also coming out in a two disc collector's edition.
QUOTE(ActionJackson @ Feb 22 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]984722[/snapback]

Can't wait to buy this. Anyone else have it preordered or going to buy it when it comes out? Highly recommended, and not just because I'm a Cash fan. A truly great film for movie lovers too. It is also coming out in a two disc collector's edition.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN BEST PICTURE THIS YEAR BUT IT IS NOT NOMINATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE(ActionJackson @ Feb 23 2006, 03:28 AM) [snapback]984722[/snapback]

VERY good movie and I'm no Cash fan..at all. I was very impressed witht the singing of both actors.
Infact Reese Witherspoon sings much better than June IMO.

I read an article the other day where Johnny and Vivians daughter (Cathy, I think?) said the movie was way off base portrying her mother as the angry, needy shrew. She said Vivian was always very supportive of Johnny's career and never tried to stop in from doing anything he wanted to do.
I guess the producers/directors were trying to make the movie and/or Vivians character more interesting.
Yeah I read about that too. I think she was overreacting, but again it wasn't portaying one of my parents. And Cash put his first wife thru alot of hell with his pill popping and womanizing. She had a right to be bitchy.
Rented it last night. I have to say I was a little disappointed. Maybe it was all of the hype...it simply couldn't live up. Reese and Joaquin were great, but in the end it was a pretty standard issue music bio-pic. You know: the obligatory painful childhood experience, the obligatory scene showing the excitement of the first recording contract, the obligatory scene of the artist bottoming out and collapsing on stage, the obligatory rehab, the obligatory understanding lover. It was like they just took the script of Ray and did a find and replace with the characters.

Not that it was terrible, loved the T-Bone Burnett sound track, but it WAS pretty cliched. Not exactly Oscar-worth, IMO.
Hot damn, the Folsom prison concert made it worth the price of admission alone.

I agree with that. That scene was exceptionally well done. Would love to have seen them make it longer. Hell, they shoulda done the whole concert.
QUOTE(Wasted in the heat @ Mar 1 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]989342[/snapback]

Hot damn, the Folsom prison concert made it worth the price of admission alone.

I agree with that. That scene was exceptionally well done. Would love to have seen them make it longer. Hell, they shoulda done the whole concert.

Except for the fact that it was factually incorrect. Cocaine Blues was the sixth song played & the only comment about water is when he asked for some & it was slow in coming. He then asked if they serve all drinks in tin cups.
Except for the fact that it was factually incorrect. Cocaine Blues was the sixth song played & the only comment about water is when he asked for some & it was slow in coming. He then asked if they serve all drinks in tin cups.

So he didn't break the glass (since the water wasn't in a glass)? I've heard the Folsom LP, but I only own San Quentin. This is what I mean. All in all, this was a VERY Hollywood treatment of the Cash story.
QUOTE(Wasted in the heat @ Mar 1 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]989389[/snapback]

So he didn't break the glass (since the water wasn't in a glass)? I've heard the Folsom LP, but I only own San Quentin. This is what I mean. All in all, this was a VERY Hollywood treatment of the Cash story.

Nope, pick up the complete Folsum concert on cd. The other thing that bothered me, was that there was mention of Johnny going into the cave with the intention of dying because he was so depressed. I believe that was in 1967. His intent was to go deep enough into the cave where the light was gone & he could find his way out, without food & water he would wait for death.
QUOTE(ActionJackson @ Mar 1 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]989401[/snapback]
Yeah I was hoping that that would have been included also, since it was such a pivotal moment in his life.

That would have been a much more compelling way of depicting Cash's bottoming out, rather than going the hackneyed passing out on stage route.
  • 2 weeks later...
aside from the 3 music video clips the featurettes that are on the disc contain
little more than what is in the film with the addition of snippets of interviews
save your $10
saw the movie for the first time last night. I really enjoyed it and thought Phoenix and Witherspoon did a great job. I was impressed by their singing. Also gave me a new appreciation for Johnny's music, which I didn't really know a lot about previously.
Can't wait for the film to come out over here -went to see it not knowing anything about Johnny Cash,his life or music. But the film was amazing & I gained appreciation of his music. There were some great songs & Joaquin & Reese did them justice.

Archived