Greasy Lake Community

Your favourite musical "genre"...

J

I'm on a huge Southern Soul kick at the moment... listening to Wilson Picket, Otis Redding, James Carr, Joe Tex, William Bell, O.V. Wright...

I think I have to say, if I had to pick one musical "genre" as my favourite... that would be it. The vocals are withoput fail incredible... the horns, the hammond organs, the tightness of the bands, the understated guitar parts... I love it!

What would be yours... if you had to go for one?
Alt Country (whatever THAT means)

Bodeans
Jayhawks
Del Amitri
Son Volt
etc.

Strong vocal harmony, easy melodies, occasional jamming and above all, NO CHOREOGRAPHY!

I like when they toss in harmonica, banjo, peddle steel slide, mandolin, and fiddles.

American Roots Music - Blues, Bluegrass, Country, Gospel, Jazz & all the various plant species that grew from those roots. From Los Lobos to Tom Waits; the Beastie Boys to MC5;NoMo (geat Ann Arbor band) to Jon Spenser Blues Explosion if it springs from that root I'm down with it.
QUOTE(the dazzler @ Mar 7 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]993669[/snapback]
American Roots Music - Blues, Bluegrass, Country, Gospel, Jazz & all the various plant species that grew from those roots. From Los Lobos to Tom Waits; the Beastie Boys to MC5;NoMo (geat Ann Arbor band) to Jon Spenser Blues Explosion if it springs from that root I'm down with it.

That's a way to cover pretty much every kind of music made in America.
To borrow a phrase from Bruce, my favorite is the "Visionary Songwriters" genre. In Bruce's liner notes to the Hammersmith CD, he mentions that he was inspired by "visionary songwriters", along with other early rock 'n' roll performers.

Most of my favorites can easily be grouped into the Visionary Songwriters genre -- Bruce, Van Morrison, and Bob Dylan, definitely. Probably Gene Clark (the Byrds) and John Fogerty, too.

Visionary Songwriters. cool.gif
biggest thing for me has to be rock music...Yet,my interests go from Donna Summer to Frank Zappa,and from AC/DC to Paco DeLucia..

artists just as big as Bruce,to me: Prince & Dylan
Good old rock and roll to the extent it even exists anymore.
Country- both some mainstream and alt. country depending on the artist
Singer songwriters

To me the song is what is important- I am a lyrics person mainly and I enjoy music that has something to say to me.

Val
QUOTE(Atlantic City @ Mar 7 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]993578[/snapback]

I have to pick one????? I can't I just can't biggrin.gif

I know just how you feel. When J was describing southern soul, I was nodding appreciatively. Then Jack started talking about alt-country and I could hear it in my head. I have a penchant for Northern Urban 60's and 70's Soul, too. American roots music....mmmm, that's good, covers a lot of ground. Can't forget the British Invasion, though...and Van Morrison...he's right up there...the Clash...

Nope. I can't pick either.

Archived