Greasy Lake Community

The Black Crowes Live In London

J

So, I went to see the Black Crowes rock the Shepherd's Bush Empire in London on the 18th, 19th and 20th March. And oh my god, it was totally and utterly incredible. What a freaking great 3 shows!!

The Crowes have never sounded better than they are sounding right now. The band’s background singing and harrmonising has come on leaps and bounds, and they are sounding SWEET! Marc Ford was on freaking fire! Ed was magical on the keys, and Steve is one of the best rock drummers ever! Chris’ voice is back from wherever it went on th By Your Side and Lions tours (too much coke in them days is my guess), and he is also sounding better than ever. I swear he’s the (white) reincarnation of Otis Redding!! Yer. Rich was the steady rock of the band, directing them through jams and songs like a real pro, while laying down some funky ass geetar work. The guy really does know how to funk up a song!!!

The first night, Saturday night, was a fantastic, pretty straight ahead Rock n Roll show… the band tore the roof of the Empire in a spectacular fashion and blew away the entire audience, long time die hard fans, casual fans and sceptics alike. Had a real blast hanging with Mike (Stay Hungry) and Christine (from Crowes and Jayhawks boards), which meant perfect company for a gig, near the bar, good view, easy access to (A LOT) of beer, in a word, perfect!

Sunday night came after much partying on Saturday and way too little sleep, and when we thought it could never get any better, it did. The band had some kind of magic musical moment on the Sunday and played, most definitely, the best show I have ever seen in my life. Something about the jams, the songs, the covers, the way the band were playing was just out of this world. The run of songs consiting off Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine, Another Roadside Tragedy, Fearless, High Head Blues, Nonfiction and Hard To Handle -> Jam was a amzing. Roadside Tragedy man… yer.

After yet more partying and more lack of sleep (probably slept about 6 hours in 3 nights), another magical night. On a par with Saturday. Some incredible cover songs, opening with Don’t Do It was incredible… me and Stay Hungry had been shouting for that song all night on Saturday. Glad And Sorry & Long Black Veil… and Hot Burrito #2 were all incredible… Marc sang lead on LA, which was stunning as well. And we got Feathers!!! And Girl From a Pawnshop…

All in all, the best run of Crowes shows I have ever seen. Anyone who likes these guys, or who thought they were good in the 90’s, go see them live. There’s no band like them. Awesome.

The Black Crowes
18 March 2006 - Shepherd's Bush Empire - London, England (UK)

- Set One –
No Speak No Slave
Sting Me
Thick N' Thin
Comin' Home
Soul Singing
Ballad In Urgency ->
Wiser Time
Sister Luck
Let It Be Gone
Jam -> Thorn In My Pride
- Set Two –
Virtue And Vice
Song Of Love
A Conspiracy
Alabama
Descending
Darling Of The Underground Press
Downtown Money Waster -> Jam ->
Share The Ride
Jealous Again
Remedy
- encore –
Around And Around

The Black Crowes
19 March 2006 - Shepherd's Bush Empire - London, England (UK)

- Set One –
Cursed Diamond
Stare It Cold -> Give Peace A Chance (1st time played)
Jam -> Black Moon Creeping
Cosmic Friend
Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
My Morning Song
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
You Don't Miss Your Water
Tied Up And Swallowed
Shake Your Money Maker
- Set Two –
Jam -> Greasy Grass River
She Gave Good Sunflower
Miracle To Me
Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine
Another Roadside Tragedy
Fearless
High Head Blues
Nonfiction
Hard To Handle -> Jam
She Talks To Angels
Twice As Hard
- encore –
Street Fighting Man

The Black Crowes
20 March 2006 - Shepherds Bush Empire - London, England (UK)

- Set One –
Dont Do It
Gone
Cypress Tree
Soul Singing
Girl From A Pawnshop
Hotel Illness
Glad And Sorry
Long Black Veil
Nebakanezer ->
Jam -> Thorn In My Pride
- Set Two –
Dreams
Sometimes Salvation ->
Young Man, Old Man
L.A.
Under A Mountain
Feathers
Let It Be Gone
By Your Side ->
Jealous Again
Remedy
- encore –
Hot Burrito #2
Great to read they're back and healthy. I saw two Black Crowes shows some twelve / ten years ago, and the rocking parts of the shows were fantastic. But I must admit I got bored to death during the loooooong Alllman-style jams. Left me a little disappointed as they're probably my favourite band from the 90's, and that "Southern harmony" album would definitely have its place on my desert island. Stiil, I hope they'll come to France one of thses days.
Thanks for posting, J.
QUOTE(ludomichel @ Mar 29 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1008151[/snapback]

Great to read they're back and healthy. I saw two Black Crowes shows some twelve / ten years ago, and the rocking parts of the shows were fantastic. But I must admit I got bored to death during the loooooong Alllman-style jams. Left me a little disappointed as they're probably my favourite band from the 90's, and that "Southern harmony" album would definitely have its place on my desert island. Stiil, I hope they'll come to France one of thses days.
Thanks for posting, J.

Yeah, they are most definitely back with a vengeance... They still jam, but the jams are amazingly sweet and musical rather than just... jams. Man, I'm still buzzing from that whole experience. Yer.

I'm sure they'll do a fuller tour someday soon mate.
sounds fuckin' sweet!! miss your water and hot burrito!!! great to see gram's ghost a smilin' down from heavenly sweetness!! J, be one lucky dog!!
And don't I know it! I'm still smiling now mate!! Listen to the link above... Many Rivers To Cross, sweetest freaking version I have ever heard.

I'll upload You Don't Miss Your Water in a minute and post it here as well... awesome stuff. I LOVE that song anyway, to hear t played by teh Crowes was just other wordly.
And then some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, just PMed you the same two songs mate... just in case! Doh!
QUOTE(J @ Mar 29 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]1008447[/snapback]

thanks J, sounds way sweet!!!!!!
QUOTE(treechrist66 @ Mar 30 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]1009180[/snapback]

QUOTE(J @ Mar 29 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]1008447[/snapback]

thanks J, sounds way sweet!!!!!!

more than sweet..........damn that's fine!!! sound is superb, gotta look to d/l the whole show from somewhere...they really just keep getting better and better......
It's an Instant Live recording mate. The Crowes record the shows through the soundboard, with a mic at the front of the stage to catch the audience... they throw it on a disc at the end of the gig and 30 minutes after the gig finishes you can buy them. Theyr'e also for sale online:

http://www.instantlive.com/artist.html?a=1...f1fa7a40df7b90c

Cheers.
QUOTE(J @ Mar 31 2006, 01:19 PM) [snapback]1009545[/snapback]

It's an Instant Live recording mate. The Crowes record the shows through the soundboard, with a mic at the front of the stage to catch the audience... they throw it on a disc at the end of the gig and 30 minutes after the gig finishes you can buy them. Theyr'e also for sale online:

http://www.instantlive.com/artist.html?a=1...f1fa7a40df7b90c

Cheers.
wow! that's really great.....wish I had the cash.....oh well, I still have that 10 disc set or however many it is of the covers comp. guess that will pacify me till I get my life together.
QUOTE(Atlantic City @ Apr 1 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]1010669[/snapback]
QUOTE(Chuck @ Apr 1 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]1010204[/snapback]

Was Ozzie there? Did they do "Round Here"?

Oh. Wait. Never mind. Sorry - carry on.

If Ozzie was there would he even know he was there??

Nope - not even if you told him.
*in best brummy accent* "Sharon, get me out of here... I'm the prince of darkness... I don't need any of this hippy shit!"
QUOTE(J @ Apr 3 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]1011322[/snapback]
*in best brummy accent* "Sharon, get me out of here... I'm the prince of darkness... I don't need any of this hippy shit!"

Which begs two questions: who's Sharon, and WTF is a "brummy accent"?

I just thought of a third - what would it sound like in a bad "brummy accent"? Or fourth - in your worst "brummy accent"?
Saw them the 23rd at the Paradiso,Amsterdam..
Glad they're back!!..

a few examples of the covers they did:a very extended "hard to handle","Boomer's story","You've got to hide your love away","Girl from the north country"(always fun to see a musician havin' troubles with Dylan-lyrics,lol),"Oh,well"...My kinda rock and roll,these guys..
Awesome, glad you had a good time... the Amsterdam shows were as amazing as the London ones from what I hear... I was meant to be there but couldn't make it, more's the pity.
Hell yeah! Yesterday was a goooooood Crowes day... got my copy of teh new DVD through as well as all three Instant Live London shows!!!!!!!!!!

Listened to the Sunday Service With The Black Crowes in London on the way to work and man it sounds every bit as awesome as when I was there....

Woooooohooooo!

Just to make the point again... these Instant Live discs (any of them really) really are really really worth getting... awesome.

Archived