Greasy Lake Community

Neil Youngs' Prairie Wind

What did everybody make of this album? I guess it's been talked about before but we have had a bit of time for any hype to be taken out of the equation. Me, I love it, especially Far From Home, The Painter and This Old Guitar. I'd love to know other peoples opinion on the album
I like the record very much.
My faves are The Painter, Far From Home, Here For You and especially It´s A Dream (my fave since the first listening).
It´s A Dream is like After The Gold Rush, wonderful lyrics and harmonies. I like his solo-stuff very much - whether solo on the guitar or piano - great, great stuff!

Neil is one of the men!
QUOTE(RikkiP54 @ Apr 1 2006, 11:52 PM) [snapback]1010555[/snapback]

I like it when I play it, but it doesn't stay with me. Adequate, but not exactly vintage.

I feel the same sometimes, I can't recall some of the tracks, but that's the eclecity(sic) of Neil, there should be some tracks that divide people, that seem out of place, I'm thinking of Cripple Creek Ferry on Goldrush or Let's Go Downtown on Tonight's the Night. I rate this album higher than Harvest or Harvest Moon. I also think Silver and Gold is hideously neglected.
I like Silver and Gold too. Fairly solid, but not a classic, in my opinion. You can't complain though, with Buffalo Springfield, Daddy Went Walkin, Razor Love, and Without Rings.
QUOTE(RikkiP54 @ Apr 1 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]1010555[/snapback]

I like it when I play it, but it doesn't stay with me. Adequate, but not exactly vintage.

I would say it's very good (as opposed to adequate), but Neil has set the bar pretty high for himself. So everything's relative in his discography.
I absolutely love Neil Young, but I'm not a huge fan of "Prairie Wind." It's fine. I equate it roughly to "Silver & Gold" (with a slight preference for S&G) and most of the stuff he's done over the last 10 years or so. (The only thing during the last 10 years that I really loved was Greendale, but even then, the album itself was only so-so; the songs really came alive in concert.)

Of course, this isn't the first time Neil's treaded water for an extended period; the great thing about him is that another masterpiece may be right around the corner.
I actually listened to it only one time when I got it as a gift for christmas, I thought it was ok, then I moved on to Jesse Malin and listened a lot more to his album (QoTU).

Then I re-visited it just a few weeks ago, and listen - This album is growing on me!
I especially like "He Was the King", "Far From Home" (it'd be perfect as a cover on this Bruce tour!) and "When God Made Me".
Top class album! Really like Neil acoustic.
I think it's his best in ages. However, I don;t think it's brilliant. It's ok, I can listen to it, but I have a million other CDs I'd put on before Prairie Wind. I like the sound on some of the songs, it sounds a bit Muscle Shoals-esque... but some of the songs sound to me like Neil was on autopilot. Still not bad.
QUOTE(J @ Apr 5 2006, 07:11 AM) [snapback]1013081[/snapback]

I think it's his best in ages. However, I don;t think it's brilliant. It's ok, I can listen to it, but I have a million other CDs I'd put on before Prairie Wind. I like the sound on some of the songs, it sounds a bit Muscle Shoals-esque... but some of the songs sound to me like Neil was on autopilot. Still not bad.

I finally got it last week. I like it so far. whatever the second song is, the guitar is really great. so although it is not my favorite Neil record (i mean, can anything really compare to Everybody Knows or Goldrush?) I think his acoustic playing has really developed in a noticeable way.......the tunings and the recording of the guitar is utterly amazing.
I'm surprised that Prairie Wind is getting the luke warm reception it is getting here. I thought it was his best since...well, since I don't know when. Probably since Ragged Glory (although the two certainly aren't comparable). It is one of his most personal recordings, and I take it in the context in which it was written. It is almost an unfulfilled goodbye. Now if he'd only put a tour behind it. I'd much prefer to pay $100 to see Neil perform this material solo to paying $100 to see Bruce play with his jug and washboard band.
QUOTE(treechrist66 @ Apr 5 2006, 04:43 PM) [snapback]1013299[/snapback]

I finally got it last week. I like it so far. whatever the second song is, the guitar is really great. so although it is not my favorite Neil record (i mean, can anything really compare to Everybody Knows or Goldrush?) I think his acoustic playing has really developed in a noticeable way.......the tunings and the recording of the guitar is utterly amazing.

Yeah it does sound really good... I don't know, I guess you're right it's hard to match his earlier work... I just thought some of the songs sounded like rehashes of old Neil songs... you know? It sounds great though, the acoustic playing with the horns especially!!
QUOTE(J @ Apr 5 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]1013402[/snapback]

QUOTE(treechrist66 @ Apr 5 2006, 04:43 PM) [snapback]1013299[/snapback]

Yeah it does sound really good... I don't know, I guess you're right it's hard to match his earlier work... I just thought some of the songs sounded like rehashes of old Neil songs... you know? It sounds great though, the acoustic playing with the horns especially!!

Neil is suppose to be going out on the road with CSN -Y This summer, ampitheatre run
QUOTE(BeantownBoss @ Apr 5 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]1013425[/snapback]

Neil is suppose to be going out on the road with CSN -Y This summer, ampitheatre run

I really wish he'd dump those guys for good. I went to one of the CSNY shows in 2000, and I enjoyed the show -- well, I enjoyed the Neil songs (which were like half the show), and one or two others -- but C, S, and N bring basically nothing to the table.

Amazingly, this will be THREE CSNY tours since 2000. There were only two tours before 2000, total. (1969-70 and 1974).

I just watched my boot of the Big Sur show of CSN&Y with Joni Mitchell and it was amazing, but that was a long, long time ago. Also saw Year of the Horse for the first time and was amazed seeing the '76 performance of Hurricane, man to have that whole show on dvd would be amazing. I liked Greendale alot and still listen to it often. Be the Rain one of my high ranking Neil songs. and the dvd that came with the second edition of Greendale is way cool.

I really like Praire Wind, but have been listening to Goldrush pretty much non-stop for the last few days. I just finished a story and incorporated "Tell Me Why" into it......it's been a real Neil week for me.

Archived