Greasy Lake Community

Graham Parker

Jack Knife

I bought the remastered import reissue of "Heat Treatment" last week, to replace my old dubbed cassette copy.

This has always been my favorite GP album. I first bought it when I was in high school, and was immediately blown away by every song, especially "That's What They All Say" and "Fool's Gold".

No surprise, it all still sounds great after all these years. But I was surprised to read Graham's new liner notes, in which he describes the album as "one of my weaker efforts".

"One of my weaker efforts". Yeah right, Graham. rolleyes.gif

Anybody else love this album?
QUOTE(Skin2Skin @ Apr 3 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]1012002[/snapback]

It's one of my favorites too.

Pourin' It All Out is my personal fave.

I don't mind tellin' you that "Pourin' It All Out" is a great song!
Though there are some great songs on Heat Treatment (Back Door Love, Chambermaid, Pouring) but as an overall album it does not stand up to Howlin' Wind. At least in those days you could expect 40 minutes of top class material across an album not a couple of goodies and a CD stuffed with songs that would have been hard pushed to make a B-Side back in the 70's (I think I have now officially become old with that last statement).

Those early GP albums still give me a great deal of pleasure and Squeezing Out Sparks should be a mandatory inclusion in everyones record collection.

X
Well, Howlin' Wind is a classic, too.

Doesn't take away from Heat Treatment's charms for me.

Then again...I even love Stick to Me, so don't expect rationality from me when it comes to GP, especially his early work. The mid and later albums are more hit and miss, but Wake Up (Next to You) and Temporary Beauty are some of his all-time best.

You know what song never thrilled me from Howlin' Wind--White Honey. Just never did it for me.

LOVE the Hold Back the Night cover...I smile just thinking about it.

And absolutely agreed on Squeezing Out Sparks.

QUOTE(Skin2Skin @ Apr 4 2006, 05:58 AM) [snapback]1012108[/snapback]

Well, Howlin' Wind is a classic, too.

Doesn't take away from Heat Treatment's charms for me.

Then again...I even love Stick to Me, so don't expect rationality from me when it comes to GP, especially his early work. The mid and later albums are more hit and miss, but Wake Up (Next to You) and Temporary Beauty are some of his all-time best.

You know what song never thrilled me from Howlin' Wind--White Honey. Just never did it for me.

And absolutely agreed on Squeezing Out Sparks.

Hold Back the Night (The Pink Parker EP) was my first ever coloured vinyl single (Pink funnily enough).

For a long time I never rated Howlin' Wind as an album (couldn't see past SOS) but re-discovered it when the CD's were re-issued in the mid. 1990's.

Temporary Beauty should also be a mandatory inclusion in every decent record collection.

If anybody is looking for a decent introudction to GP. In the US there is a a very good single CD "The Ultimate Collection" (excellently remastered for top quality sound) and in the UK "Vertigo" (double CD) which contains the "Live At Marble Arch" official bootleg as well as a comprehensive overview of the 70's material.

If anyone fancies buying Squeezing Out Sparks, the US version with the "Live Sparks" official boot is the one to get.

My two favourite fun GP records are Mercury Poisoning (I have this on a one sided grey vinyl 12" promo single that is textrured on the other side) and his cover of the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back".

I am now in a 70's mood and will need to indulge.

X

Yes! "Hold Back the Night" is one of the bonus tracks on the remastered "Heat Treatment". I think only GP or Van Morrison could pull off a cover version of that song.

Every word is true, baby...

laugh.gif

In grad school, I dj'ed a radio show, which is where I discovered The Pink Parker and Hold Back the Night...since it was impossible to find, it was quite painful to just leave it in the radio library, but I did. I remember when it was released on a Greatest Hits import collection (on album) and being ecstatic about it.

Mercury Poisoning and I Want You Back--my other fun favorites.

I forgot in my last post to give special attention to Between You and Me (from Howlin' Wind). Carlene Carter does a cover on her first album--both versions are vvvs.

I guess I'll be listening to some GP today.
Between You and Me is a wonderful song.

Other than the obvious Dave Emunds cover of Crawling From The Wrackage I don't think I can think of mnay other people covering GP's songs. More's the pity.

Have you heard his contributions to the album of little known Beatles songs (stuff they gave away) "From A Window"?

X
QUOTE(Skin2Skin @ Apr 4 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]1012305[/snapback]

In grad school, I dj'ed a radio show, which is where I discovered The Pink Parker and Hold Back the Night...since it was impossible to find, it was quite painful to just leave it in the radio library

If only the internet had existed then. Tracking down imports in the 1970's was hellish.

X
No...haven't heard it. I'll check out the snippet on Amazon.

Rachel Sweet covered Fool's Gold. And Marti Jones covered You Can't Take Love for Granted.

And yeah--the Internet has been berry berry good to me.
QUOTE(Skin2Skin @ Apr 4 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]1012500[/snapback]

I think we should change your name to Genie in the Bottle. laugh.gif

Just as long as it is not I Dream of Jeanie. I couldn't put up with all that arms crossing and "master" stuff.

X
QUOTE(cheddarmustard @ Apr 4 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]1012631[/snapback]

QUOTE(Skin2Skin @ Apr 4 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1012619[/snapback]

That isn't as blasphemous as it sounds. 'Specially if one of those shows is with the Figgs.

(Then again, I'm not Wzi.)

Do you know about this one?

Steel City Coffee House - 4/29

Yeah...I'm thinking about how I can convince my dh to go...
Other than the obvious Dave Emunds cover of Crawling From The Wrackage I don't think I can think of mnay other people covering GP's songs. More's the pity.

Witney: The Pointer Sisters covered Graham's "Turned Up Too Late" many years back, probably around the same time they recorded their version of Bruce's "Fire".

Also, Rick Nelson (aka "Ricky Nelson") covered "Back to Schooldays". Rick always had good taste in choosing songwriters to cover -- Dylan, John Hiatt, and GP, in particular.
I just love GP and the Rumour ... their first five albums (Howlin' Wind thru The Up Escalator) are terrific. Not a bad album in the lot. Even after GP ditched the Rumour, GP still made some great music. He's in my top four all-time. I have every record he ever released (even his country album!).

Heat Treatment, of course, is outstanding. Agreed with Pourin' It All Out. Fookin' great tune.

One record that I think is tremendously underrated in the GP cannon is Struck by Lightning. Now that's a great, stripped down acoustic rock record as good as they come. And It Shook Me may be one of the best rock love songs ever recorded.

I could write about GP for hours. How he never made it really big is beyond me. A true talent.
QUOTE(Mystery Tramp @ Apr 4 2006, 08:23 PM) [snapback]1012684[/snapback]

Witney: The Pointer Sisters covered Graham's "Turned Up Too Late" many years back, probably around the same time they recorded their version of Bruce's "Fire".

Also, Rick Nelson (aka "Ricky Nelson") covered "Back to Schooldays". Rick always had good taste in choosing songwriters to cover -- Dylan, John Hiatt, and GP, in particular.

I'm intrigued by Ricky Nelson covering GP.

I was intrigued by the Pointer Sister's cover as this seemed familiar. I no longer have the album (long story but it involved a flood and a loss of one third of my collection) it came from but I do have 7" vinyl single of them covering Ian Hunter's "Who Do You Love?" and on the b-side is "Turned Up Too Late".

The big question is do I get the turntable out the attic?

X
QUOTE(G-Man @ Apr 5 2006, 03:36 AM) [snapback]1012968[/snapback]

I just love GP and the Rumour ... their first five albums (Howlin' Wind thru The Up Escalator) are terrific. Not a bad album in the lot. Even after GP ditched the Rumour, GP still made some great music. He's in my top four all-time. I have every record he ever released (even his country album!).

Heat Treatment, of course, is outstanding. Agreed with Pourin' It All Out. Fookin' great tune.

One record that I think is tremendously underrated in the GP cannon is Struck by Lightning. Now that's a great, stripped down acoustic rock record as good as they come. And It Shook Me may be one of the best rock love songs ever recorded.

I could write about GP for hours. How he never made it really big is beyond me. A true talent.

Have to admit, that since The Real Macaw, I have bought GP's albums mainly out of loyalty to those 1970's recordings and they have been all been played once and filed away. You have made me feel guilty about that.

You are probably aware that over the last couple of years he has been issuing a series of limited edition official bootlegs (I think we're on disc 3 at the moment). There has also been a series of discs issued in the UK called "The Art Vanderlay Tapes" - 3 volumes at mid-price so far covering rarities and odd live tracks (bootleg sourced).

X
QUOTE(Witney Devil @ Apr 5 2006, 07:02 AM) [snapback]1013131[/snapback]

QUOTE(G-Man @ Apr 5 2006, 03:36 AM) [snapback]1012968[/snapback]

Have to admit, that since The Real Macaw, I have bought GP's albums mainly out of loyalty to those 1970's recordings and they have been all been played once and filed away. You have made me feel guilty about that.

You are probably aware that over the last couple of years he has been issuing a series of limited edition official bootlegs (I think we're on disc 3 at the moment). There has also been a series of discs issued in the UK called "The Art Vanderlay Tapes" - 3 volumes at mid-price so far covering rarities and odd live tracks (bootleg sourced).

X

Oh, wow! Never heard of this, Whitney Devil. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the info.

Archived