Greasy Lake Community

Grateful Dead sucks!

Jack

QUOTE(Jack @ Apr 19 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]1023822[/snapback]

Oh, that feeelt good! just had to get it out!

Maybe the most overrated group ever.......

Agreed...Recently bought their Greatest Hits Album (one of them atleast) and there is nothing great about it.
Guest Miami MArk
QUOTE(Jack @ Apr 19 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]1023822[/snapback]

You just dont "get it"....
I think "Workingman's Dead" and "American Beauty" are great albums, but I've never cared for the Dead's live shows. A GD collector once sent me a handful of Dead bootlegs but I really couldn't get into them, except for a couple of the acoustic sets from 1970 (1969?). The live jams were just too long, the vibe was too "trippy", and the "Space/Drum Solo" thing gave me a headache for like, three days afterwards.
Now, now. They were all right. Never the greatest and tightest musicians that ever lived (someone was always playing off key), and yes those space drum solos could get a little tedious. But Jerry's guitar, Bob Weir's singing, Phil's bass, and that rhythm section, combined with the free and loose atmosphere at their shows, was always a lot of fun. Tie dyed chicks swirling in nirvanic dance, sweaty shirtless white dreadlocked dudes smoking blunts, while the Dead jammed on the stage -- maybe not the best band ever, musically, but certainly that was a cultural/musical scene that defies comparison, even to this day.
QUOTE(Miami MArk @ Apr 19 2006, 07:12 PM) [snapback]1023889[/snapback]

QUOTE(Jack @ Apr 19 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]1023822[/snapback]

You just dont "get it"....

To be fair they had some awfull nights on stage. They were their own harshest critic though.
QUOTE(Jack @ Apr 19 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]1023822[/snapback]

I have been to well over 500 concerts in my life. There are 3 that I have fallen alseep at. I have to admit, the Joad show in Dallas was one of them. The other 2 were Dead shows. I fell asleep at the first one during the 30 minute or whateverthehellhowlongitwas drum solo. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Of course, the pre-show festivites, I was in college at the time, may have had something to do with it.

However, I decided to give them a second chance, this time going in a more lucid state of mind. I nodded off even faster, and for longer, at that one.

I did feel refreshed when it was over, though.
For my money one of the greatest bands in the history of rock.

Did they have some bad nights?

Hell yes!

But, the nights they were "on" no one could touch them!

I understand they aren't everyone's cup of tea and that's fine... Speaking as someone with well over 10,000 hours on bootleg there is nothing better than the first couple days of spring when I dust off the collection and blast it on the car stereo.

If you don't "get it", okay.

For those of us that do it's a wonderful thing biggrin.gif
Workingman's Dead-one of the best albums ever! the shows with Dylan kicked ass, and their acoustic sets were always fine. definately an interesting fan base which made the live experience.
QUOTE(treechrist66 @ Apr 20 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]1024158[/snapback]

Workingman's Dead-one of the best albums ever! the shows with Dylan kicked ass, and their acoustic sets were always fine. definately an interesting fan base which made the live experience.

the Grateful dead / Dylan record is maybe some of the worst I own. I love Dylan, so i bought it, and it must be he`s worst performance ever, then add the boring deads, and voila, you have a terrible record. I played it once.
They were consistently one of the most fun concerts to go to.

As Bill Graham said (to paraphrase): "The Grateful Dead are not very good at what they do. But they are the ONLY ones who do what they do."

Monday I was listening to the Dead. Two days ago I was listening to The Wall. Yesterday, the Grease Soundtrack, and today the Flaming Lips. There is a time an place for everything, and the Dead have a distinct spot in my world for groovy fun.

QUOTE(Jack @ Apr 20 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]1024264[/snapback]

QUOTE(treechrist66 @ Apr 20 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]1024158[/snapback]

the Grateful dead / Dylan record is maybe some of the worst I own. I love Dylan, so i bought it, and it must be he`s worst performance ever, then add the boring deads, and voila, you have a terrible record. I played it once.

Can't disagree with you about Dylan and The Dead. Truly abysmal album.

Elvis
I fell asleep at a Dead show at Giants Stadium. It turned out it was the same show that some guy was allegedly beaten to death by the security peeps. Never heard anything about what really happened.
Monday I was listening to the Dead. Two days ago I was listening to The Wall. Yesterday, the Grease Soundtrack, and today the Flaming Lips. There is a time and place for everything

My feelings exactly. Two days ago I was listening to Bruce, yesterday was the Flying Burrito Brothers, and today it's Miles Davis and Cannonball Adderley. There really is a time and place for everything. Except the "Grease" soundtrack album, of course. laugh.gif

The "Dead" were boring snooze music for trippy hippies. I've seen them many times, including at Woodstock, and I always thought they truly sucked. Once I saw them double billed with the Allman Brothers (when Duane was alive) and it was like comparing Adam Sandler laugh.gif to Bruce.
QUOTE(bronxkid1 @ Apr 20 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]1024742[/snapback]

The "Dead" were boring snooze music for trippy hippies. I've seen them many times, including at Woodstock, and I always thought they truly sucked. Once I saw them double billed with the Allman Brothers (when Duane was alive) and it was like comparing Adam Sandler laugh.gif to Bruce.

The dead felt that they played so bad at Woodstock that they refused to allow the producers to use any footage of them in the film.
QUOTE(Atlantic City @ Apr 21 2006, 04:45 AM) [snapback]1024817[/snapback]

QUOTE(bronxkid1 @ Apr 20 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]1024742[/snapback]

The dead felt that they played so bad at Woodstock that they refused to allow the producers to use any footage of them in the film.

lots of LIVE Dead HERE
just scroll down to GD, note: but these streams will not sound as good as
lossless audio version that are uncompressed. (Meaning also that they have
never been through an .mp3 generation.)
QUOTE(G-Man @ Apr 20 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]1024636[/snapback]

Question: What do Dead fans say to each other once the pot runs out? Answer: "This band sucks!"

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

"Jasons got a stash and all he needs is karma and a orange lt's go".

Archived