Greasy Lake Community

Roll Call...Stone Pony anniversary shows

I'd love to go to the Saturday show, but I need a ticket. If anyone has an extra please PM me or email me at [email="rosemjoy@aol.com"]rosemjoy@aol.com[/email]

thanks,
rosie
she's a my Birthday too LOL!!!

I'd love to go to the Saturday show, but I need a ticket. If anyone has an extra please PM me or email me at [email=\"rosemjoy@aol.com\"]rosemjoy@aol.com[/email]

thanks,
rosie
she's a my Birthday too LOL!!!

Think I found a ticket for you.

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Annie, you're swell IPB Image

I'll be there w/ my Jersey girls and maybe some Texas girls. Thats an interesting combination? Feb.28, 1974, I was on an jet plane heading for Texas. It was my first day in the USAF. I was real messed up from the night before @ the Stone Pony. They put me in the hospital on the second day because of dehydration. My Asbury Park mentality and the Air Force didn't agree. What was I thinking? One consulation was I had my music and introduced all my friends @ my duty station in North Dakota to "Greetings" & "Wiess." Got out of the USAF 15 months later because the culture was a bad influence on me. There were to many drugs and crazy MF'ers in the service. Moved back to Asbury, got a job in the Asbury Park, Fire Dept. and life was beautiful once again. I became a fire inspector and on Friday nights my job was to observe inside the Stone Pony and make sure there wasn't any fire hazards. I had to be there and be alert, especially when Bruce got on stage w/ the E Street Band. When they got cookin', the place got red hot and a conflageration was possible @ any moment. Because of my knowledge of fire and rock'n'roll science, I did my job and the Stone Pony was safe. To show what kind of dedicated guy I was, you could also find me there on Saturday night when I was off duty. I liked Saturdays the best because when dancing, I didn't needed to worry about my fire hat flying off my head.

"The street was the arena where you earned a name like Hazy Davy"

I just read the news about Joe's Dad passing away IPB Image
It seems highly unlikely now that he will be performing....

Joe is still playing and doing a meet and greet at 5:00 PM

That's great Tony...

Hey HD - Any chance you were stationed at Minot, Air Force Base? I had a boyfriend who attended Minot State College and I used to visit him from time to time. The plane was always full of Air Force men. Will you be at Pony Friday?

Myself and Factory Girl will be driving down on Saturday. Not sure about tickets yet, but I don't care! I'll be in Asbury for the first time in my life IPB Image IPB Image.

If we can't get in, anyone know of any other cool bands playing around that night??

Yeah, over @ Oddfellows on Cookman Ave. there is gonna be a great Latin Jazz band Saturday night. My good friend Richard Blackwell who played on Bruce's first two albums is in that band.

Hey GYPSYANGEL......Minot was the worst of the worst duty station in the continental U.S.. I was @ Grand Forks which wasn't much better.

I'll be @ the Broadway in Pt. Beach for happy hour. If I do go to the Pony Friday night, look for the guy w/ the cool black tee-shirt.

"The street was the arena where you earned a name like Hazy Davy"

from todays asbury park press. they always have to slip in the "special guest" line...

The Seabiscuit of nightclubs: After 30 years, Asbury Park's Stone Pony is still in the running

Published in the Asbury Park Press 2/27/04
By KELLY-JANE COTTER
Music Writer
Thirty years ago, a ratty little club opened in a seaside resort town whose heyday had passed.

Thirty years later, that same ratty club is sitting pretty, as Asbury Park ascends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE STONE PONY'S 30th ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND
7:30 p.m. Friday with Soozie Tyrell, Glenn Burtnik Band and Pat DiNizio
7:30 p.m. Saturday with Joe Grushecky & The Houserockers, John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band and Dawne Allyne
$25
(732) 502-0600
www.stoneponyonline.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stone Pony, still at 913 Ocean Ave. in Asbury Park, has had its ups and downs on its way to becoming an international legend. It's been sold, closed, re-opened, closed, sold, re-opened, etc.

People outside the scene still refer to the Pony as the place where Bruce Springsteen "got his start," even though Springsteen was doing quite nicely on his own by 1974. It is true, however, that Springsteen has considered the Pony a comfortable hang-out over the years.

Just before the Pony re-opened under Domenic Santana's ownership, in May 2000, Springsteen sent a fax to the club, with his best wishes. In November 2000, at Bob Benjamin's "Light of Day" fund-raiser show for Parkinson's Disease research, Springsteen took the stage of the Pony for the first time in ages. And he continued to visit the spruced-up club in its latest incarnation.

Santana -- who in July 2003 sold the Pony to the city's oceanfront redevelopers, Asbury Partners -- said Springsteen's ongoing connection to the Pony helped fuel its reputation, for which Santana was grateful. But Santana is just as proud that the club nurtures a number of what he called "baby bands," the aspiring local bands that have gone on to bigger things or that soon will.

E Street Band violinist Soozie Tyrell, Glen Burtnik and Pat DiNizio are among the performers taking part in The Stone Pony's 30th anniversary celebration this weekend.
"The baby bands are our street team," said Santana, who maintains a relationship with the Pony, serving as consultant and spokesman. "They would bring in 100 people, we'd give them a slot opening for the nationals, then they'd be headliners, and their name and the Pony's name would get around to more and more people. They are as important to us as vice versa."

Two of the local scene's latest success stories, Highway 9 (known as Samhill in the band's days at the Pony) and New Blood Revival (led by Manasquan native Matt Witte), both scored deals with major labels. New Blood Revival's debut on Atlantic is due for release in May.

Highway 9 and New Blood Revival each played a show during the re-opened Pony's first week of business back in spring 2000.

The Stone Pony first opened its doors in 1974, under the ownership of Jack Roig and Robert "Butch" Pielka. The club closed in September 1991, after its owners went bankrupt, and re-opened in October 1992, under the ownership of Steven and Judy Nasar.

The Nasars closed the Pony in September 1998 and sold it in February 2000 to Santana, who worked feverishly to get the place ready for business by Memorial Day weekend of that year.

At the time, Santana was known mainly for his Hard Grove Cafe in Jersey City and his tireless efforts as a gadfly in that city. He has a huge personality, and that helped get major attention for the Pony's re-opening.

"You remember what a big deal that was," Santana said. "You remember how much media attention that little club received? The most important thing we could've done is to use this rock club to get attention for a real endangered treasure, which is the city of Asbury Park. And I think to a certain extent, that's what happened."

The Stone Pony's re-opening weekend began quietly on a Thursday night, with a screening of "Tramps Like Us," a documentary about Springsteen fans filmed at the Meadowlands in the summer of 1999.

For the next three days, an outdoor festival drew fans from far and near. Gov. Christine Todd Whitman presided over a ribbon-cutting ceremony. Evening concerts showcased Lance Larson, who, as part of Lord Gunner was a player in the Pony's heyday of the '70s and early '80s; fellow local scenemaker Bernard Purdie, the Afro-Cuban band Los Santos, John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band, Gary U.S. Bonds, The Smithereens, Evelyn Forever, the Jazz Lobsters and Bobby Bertleson.

Save Tillie, a group of Springsteen fans dedicated to preserving Palace Amusements, arranged for a commemorative postmark during re-opening weekend. Fireworks capped off the celebration.

Since then, entertainers from many musical genres came to the Pony. Last year, for example, in addition to Springsteen and Bon Jovi, the Pony's stage featured such diverse acts as Andrew W.K., The Deftones, Stryper, Garland Jeffreys, Dan Bern, John Eddie, The Ataris, Billy Idol, Ziggy Marley, the Ben Taylor Band, Blues Traveler, Lisa Marie Presley, Donovan, Jason Mraz, Neville Staple of The Specials, Keller Williams, Johnny Marr & the Healers, They Might Be Giants, Ween, Joan Jett, AFI, The Wailers, Third Eye Blind, Anthrax, Motorhead, Ron Sexsmith, The Wallflowers, Lifehouse, Black 47 and Tonic.

The Pony's future, as ever, is uncertain. It seems everyone believes the Pony eventually will be torn down, with a new club built elsewhere in the city, to accommodate the upscale housing that is scheduled to be built. However, Larry Fishman, chief operating officer of Asbury Partners, has repeatedly said he plans to leave the Pony where it is and that he plans to upgrade the club and make good use of its reputation as a tourist magnet.

Time will tell. Meanwhile, crowds still line up outside for DJ dancing on ladies' night on Thursdays, and live music lovers still make the Pony a primary destination.

The Pony plans to commemorate its 30th anniversary all year -- "We're gonna milk it, believe me," said the always candid Santana.

This weekend, the first celebration begins.

Performing tonight will be E Street Band violinist Soozie Tyrell, the Glen Burtnik Band and Pat DiNizio of The Smithereens. Taking the stage tomorrow will be Joe Grushecky & the Houserockers, John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band and Dawne Allyne.

Show time is 7:30 p.m. both nights. Admission is $25 both nights. There will be a slide show and photo displays. Commemorative merchandise will be available. Guest appearances are expected.

For more info, call (732) 502-0600 or go to www.stoneponyonline.com.

Archived