Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoverInTheCold

If I had heard "MAGIC", these would be my thoughts...

I'll take a page from O.J. Simpson and say...

If I had heard "Magic", these would be my thoughts...

Radio Nowhere- a solid rocker. Like the energy a lot. Like the allusions to past work: Badlands, State Trooper. Seems a little bit manafactured. The vocals are a little garagey for my tastes as well.

You'll be comin' down- ok fare. a little too tempered for me. could have been a solid bitter rocker. instead it's turned to much lighter fare.

Livin' in the future- I'll take a pass. What once used to be Sherry Darlings and 10th Avenue Freeze Outs, is now this...
Mary's Place, Let's Be Friends, and now Livin' in the future. The joy of Bruce used to be that he could turn these out in his sleep and they didn't sound like it. IMO, this does.

Your Own Worst Enemy- the tempered sequel to #2. The songs seem to be different perspectives of a failed relationship.

Gypsy Biker- what? This song is ODD. It's going to take me 10 years to get used to this. Maybe Bruce will play it Solo Piano someday and it will be amazing. The guitar solos are nice though. Doesn't do much for me elsewise.

Girls in their summer clothes- Bruce is definitely PET SOUNDING out here. I gotta applaud the man for going this direction musically, but this isn't Bruce. I'll let him do his thing, and the chorus is catchy.

I'll work for your love- FINALLY. A geniune fun hit song that both sounds like Bruce and doesn't seem forced. It's an ode to Catholicism and failed relationships. It has a great message. It's incredibly catchy. One of the best songs on the disc. You will love this song and it will be very fun live (not in a Mary's Place way). Great job Bruce!

Magic- Can't say that I ever have an interest in hearing this song live, but as a mood setting, album bridging piece...it works.
The reality is that this song bridges the way towards the real meat of the album. The good stuff is the last 3rd. There is a little Mark Knopfler feel to this one.

Last to Die- Here we flippin' go. A spectacular rock song with layers. This is Roulette Part II. Lyrics are strong, guitars are strong. Melody is interesting. Message is good. Should be one of the first songs played on the tour. Really, listen to Roulette and then this song.

Long Walk Home- Best song on the album. But you all knew that as well as I did. Actually has a guitar solo. Wowser. Where've you been Bruce? Sax solo. Where've you been Clarence? Great Lyrics. Echoes off my current state of mind. This song actually sums up Bruce Springsteen and all he's worth as well as any. This is almost dirge like. Dream baby Dream. Should be the closer and just go on forever like that.

Devil's Arcade- Starts off like a D&D outtake, rocks out half way through. Big guitars- again half way through. Grows on you.
Could be good live.

Terry's Song- Nice little tune. A lot like "The Wish" or another soloish sentimental ballad. Nice surprise.

TOP 5: Long Walk Home, Radio Nowhere, Last to Die, I'll Work For Your Love, Devil's Arcade
Everything else is just solid to average fare.

Again, these are just my hypothetical thoughts, had I hypothetically heard the album.

Share your hypothetical thoughts with me.

QUOTE(Dannychico @ Sep 7 2007, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yikes. This is hypothetically not a glowing review.

Hypothetically, I liked it better than he hypothetically did

Hypothetically, it's a nice review! tongue.gif

I tried to check what you're saying but my old cd player wouldn't play any hypothetical tunes... unsure.gif

Hey, this reminds me of my "If I took a guess at the lyrics to Radio Nowhere they'd be like this" thread. wink.gif Funny, I'm sure there's no way you could have heard all the songs already.

******SPOILER ALERT -- DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW SPECIFIC LYRICS AND CRAP **********

I'm not big on song by song breakdown and have a bad memory, but, IF I had heard all the songs I would say five things:

1) It is NOT Born to Run, WEISS or Darkness. To paraphrase Bruce from Reno, "Not even close." Then again, it'd be almost impossible to compare anything to those.

2) I, the conservative, happen to like the liberal-tinged poltical Last to Die. Like the melody, like the lyrics ('...marked truth or consequences on our lap', 'The wise men move on through...what to do?') and like the 'feel' of the song.

3) I was unfortunately disappointed with the title track. I really expected an awesome creative lyrical masterpiece. It had to be, right, since he friggin' named the CD Magic afterall. Unfortunately the song, after my first two listens, is not. One could say he's trying to be political here and say the current administration is all smoke and mirrors. Maybe after a few more listens, I'll 'get it' more. Right now, it seems like the only Magic about this song is that Bruce's genius vanished while writing this.

4) Really like what he did with Long Walk Home. I can see this working in concert.

5) I wanted to like Terry's song. I loved the poignant piano intro. I was getting into it with the Titanic and Eiffel Tower lyrics in the first verse. But then, like death itself, came the chorus. Could it be more trite? I know he wrote it kinda last minute and I appreciate the fact of how much he loved Terry and wanted to place a song on the CD for him, but "When they built you, brother, they broke the mold"? Not exactly the deepest chorus the man has ever written.

I am sure I will grow to like these tunes the more I hear them. And, like my other main man Rocco (PointBlank is my main main man) I am still looking forward to the concerts. But right now, I have to admit being a tad diappointed.

Let's just say after the first couple of listens, the album didn't exactly make me swoon.

There's nothing hypothetical about it, its a great record, harmonies, melodies a plenty. Great influences that you can pick up all over the place, its just an effortless peice of work. Im over the moon with this, I had my doubts after Radio Nowhere, but you hear something so magical as 'your own worst enemy' and you wonder why I should have been so worried.

I would be blown away by RadioNowhere, Devil's Arcade, Magic, Last To Die, Gypsy Biker, Terry's Song, and mostlikely the rest as well... Hypothetically Bruce always delivers.

Hypothetically its a pop album. Hypothetically its been crafted for radio and to pull in the public at large. Hypothetically I like what I hear but I could have done without Gypsy Biker.

Hypothetically Long Walk Home is going to be great show closer.

I'm glad that Terry's Song appears to be merely a bonus track in certain countries, because it kinda sucks.

I love these 'its not born to run' type posts, how anyone would expect that sort of an album to be written by a gut who is now 60 is beyond me.

QUOTE(Erie Canal @ Sep 7 2007, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love these 'its not born to run' type posts, how anyone would expect that sort of an album to be written by a gut who is now 60 is beyond me.

That might explain things. His gut is a whole two years older than the rest of him?

...well, well, well, If i had listened to "Magic" for the first time i'd say that...

- I will listen this more than the Rising
- The snippets are not the real thing... laugh.gif
- Lonesome day could have been on it
- Long walk home we'll stand as a classic in Bruce's catalogue...but you know that...
- Gypsy biker is a great tune
- i hear a river influence with the sound of 2007
- Livin' in the future is the only song that disapoint me...but will be great live, i suppose...
- I've always loved the beach boys laugh.gif

and that i agree with Baertb...Hypothetically Bruce always delivers.

I like writing big song-by-song reviews but right now, if I'd listened to it, I guess I'd have to listen to it a bit more. But I guess if I'd listen to it I'd be pleased with the The River-like production. Livin' in the future would probably strike me as the weakest song on the album. I'd also say that had these songs been released in the 80's between Nebraska and Born in The USA, they would be considered classics. It would also grow on me with every listen. Oh and Long Walk Home would give me goosebumps...

QUOTE(Tom-Joad @ Sep 7 2007, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like writing big song-by-song reviews but right now, if I'd listened to it, I guess I'd have to listen to it a bit more. But I guess if I'd listen to it I'd be pleased with the The River-like production. Livin' in the future would probably strike me as the weakest song on the album. I'd also say that had these songs been released in the 80's between Nebraska and Born in The USA, they would be considered classics. It would also grow on me with every listen. Oh and Long Walk Home would give me goosebumps...

Hypothetically if I had just sat in the car at lunchtime listening to it for the first time I suspect I would be grinning like an idiot and feeling like I did when I first heard The River twenty seven years ago.

I'd probably also be looking for a fatuous reason to get out of the office this PM so give it another listen.

QUOTE(redkat @ Sep 7 2007, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...well, well, well, If i had listened to "Magic" for the first time i'd say that...

- I will listen this more than the Rising
- The snippets are not the real thing... laugh.gif
- Lonesome day could have been on it
- Long walk home we'll stand as a classic in Bruce's catalogue...but you know that...
- Gypsy biker is a great tune
- i hear a river influence with the sound of 2007
- Livin' in the future is the only song that disapoint me...but will be great live, i suppose...
- I've always loved the beach boys laugh.gif

and that i agree with Baertb...Hypothetically Bruce always delivers.

Spot on, and I would add, that if I had listened to it, I would consider Magic a great great tune, with a great great production and a smashing Bruce vocal.

It's a toe-tapper head-bopper start to finish. I love it and can't wait to see it live. This new stuff will absolutely kick ass in concert. I was just going to go the St Paul show but my hypothetical listen has put at least Chicago in the mix. This is going to be FUN.

Your own worst enemy is hypothetically terrible. Worst song on the album. It's Real Man Part II.

QUOTE(Dannychico @ Sep 7 2007, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yikes. This is hypothetically not a glowing review.

Original poster is hypothetically talking through his arse.......possibly.

If I were unscrupulous, hypothetically speaking, I might hypothetically be still looking for these hypothetical songs - - but respecting the Lake's rules, I am most un hypothetically living in the future for release date. dry.gif

Guest bushmanj
at what point does Devil's Arcade become listenable?

Waiting for the Magic of Tom Joad?