Greasy Lake Community

Best Alt. Country release so far:

Big D

A bit of a grower to begin with, now I can't stop listening. Great songwriting, no clunkers, with some really haunting tracks, beautiful stuff. If you like your alt. country/rock authentic, this is one you must have in your collection.

Rolling Stone review:

(4 out of 5 stars)

"America outsources everything else — why not country music? Like Neil Young, Robbie Robertson and Shania Twain, Kathleen Edwards is a Canadian who crafts music that's often more "American"-tasting than domestic brands. But she's not fronting. On her strongest album yet, she sets a poignant road tale between New York and Ontario ("Buffalo") and pens a fierce, Crazy Horse-ish squall about crack, murder and racism in her own back yard ("O Canada"). The hottest border-crossing tune, though, is "Oil Man's War," a cascading-piano story-song about two kids, Bobby and Annabel, that conflates Vietnam-era draft-dodging with modern geopolitics. Obviously, it isn't likely to woo Nashville radio. Neither is "The Cheapest Key," a harmonica-charged heartland rocker whose alphabetized first verse declares, "B is for bullshit." Too bad for Edwards, who surely knows that the image of Annabel's hand on Bobby's thigh while they break north deserves to outlive all the pap on the current country countdown."

Another review:

Amy O'Brian, Vancouver Sun
Published: Saturday, April 19, 2008
ASKING FOR FLOWERS
Kathleen Edwards
Potty Mouth/ MapleMusic

Rating 4

"Since her 2003 debut, Failer, Kathleen Edwards has been something of a darling in the eyes of hard-edged music critics.
Her willingness to get personal, angry, opinionated and melancholy, combined with her gorgeous voice and her tendency to wander down the dusty, perilous path that is country music have earned her a level of respect most musicians would be right to envy.
Her latest album, Asking for Flowers, only serves to reinforce that respect.
It's a forceful and compelling example of storytelling, set to moody melodies that soar and rootsy rhythms that drive the album forward.
The Ontario-based 29-year-old has a sound that draws easy comparisons to Lucinda Williams, but there's a Canadian-ness to her that also links her to Sarah Harmer and Blue Rodeo.

Her songs make frequent mention of things Canadian, from the CBC to Marty McSorley to a desperately sad re-telling of the story of Alicia Ross, who was murdered in 2005 by her next-door neighbour in Markham, Ont. Oh Canada is an angry -- rocking -- attack on the hypocrisy and ambivalence of Canadians.
But there are also up-tempo tunes that maintain a healthy dose of bitterness, such as The Cheapest Key and I Make the Dough, You Get the Glory.
Scared at Night is a tear-jerker of a song that seems to be a eulogy for someone close to Edwards, while Goodnight, California -- the album's closing track -- is similarly melancholy and hauntingly beautiful.

Asking for Flowers gets better with every listen and is, so far, one of the best Canadian albums of 2008."

Amy O'Brian, Vancouver Sun

Beautiful:

Kathleen Edwards

Just found this video for a track from her new album. Same song she performed on Letterman, which was disappointing, can't believe she censored herself. The vid, however, shows her off as the sassy, cheeky, smart ass canadian babe that she is...God I love her!

Can't wait to see her live at Dicks on Dicks next month!!

The Cheapest Key video

Big D! I looooovvve Kathleen Edwards. I think I've said this before, but the first time I saw her was at a great venue for live music in Edmonton when she was virtually a nobody. She was opening for Danny Michel, another great Canadian talent from Ontario, and actually a friend of mine. Then she released that album with the song I love, "In State" and I saw her open for Willie Nelson last summer.

Well, this album I agree is a grower, but is full of beguilling snaps, and is incredibly well written and sung. She really is growing into her voice, and I love it. The title track "Asking for Flowers" was the first track I heard and I knew right away that she was progressing in an upward fashion as a songwriter.

I am going to see her at the Starlight in Edmonton at the end of May, I think it is. Great acoustics, and I'm looking forward to it. And, I'm not afraid to say that she certainly is beautiful.
QUOTE (Kay @ Apr 25 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Big D! I looooovvve Kathleen Edwards. I think I've said this before, but the first time I saw her was at a great venue for live music in Edmonton when she was virtually a nobody. She was opening for Danny Michel, another great Canadian talent from Ontario, and actually a friend of mine. Then she released that album with the song I love, "In State" and I saw her open for Willie Nelson last summer.

Well, this album I agree is a grower, but is full of beguilling snaps, and is incredibly well written and sung. She really is growing into her voice, and I love it. The title track "Asking for Flowers" was the first track I heard and I knew right away that she was progressing in an upward fashion as a songwriter.

I am going to see her at the Starlight in Edmonton at the end of May, I think it is. Great acoustics, and I'm looking forward to it. And, I'm not afraid to say that she certainly is beautiful.

I like your style Kay...anyone who can insert 'beguilling' into their post has it going on...nice. There's something about Kathleen's voice that's powerful and slightly vulnerable at the same time, that's what I find attractive.

My 26th Vancouver, 29th Edmonton. Richards is one of Van's best intimate clubs to see upcoming acts, and not surprisingly will be demolished soon to squeeze in yet another sterile anonymous condo tower...my town's going to shit.
QUOTE (Big D @ Apr 25 2008, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Kay @ Apr 25 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like your style Kay...anyone who can insert 'beguilling' into their post has it going on...nice. There's something about Kathleen's voice that's powerful and slightly vulnerable at the same time, that's what I find attractive.

My 26th Vancouver, 29th Edmonton. Richards is one of Van's best intimate clubs to see upcoming acts, and not surprisingly will be demolished soon to squeeze in yet another sterile anonymous condo tower...my town's going to shit.

Hear ya on the power and vulnerability of her voice. Hey, about the condos, Edmonton has the same outlandish problem. The Sidetrack, which is where I saw Kathleen for the first time, has been demolished for condos, whereby this city has lost it's best live venue. Some Canadian bands rave about The Sidetrack and have recorded live cd's there. The Skydiggers once said that they would only play there. Nothing has what The Sidetrack had. Same goes for some great, old houses with character. They've been demolished for condos, and they can't even fill them with tenants fer pete sake! And where are the brick houses out here? All of the brick houses have been replaced with condos.

Btw, another great release this year is by Black Mountain. I think they still reside in Van, and I saw them in Montreal when I was there to see Bruce. It was sold out, but when we got there the singer was outside having a ciggy, and put us on the guest list when we told him that we were in town to see Bruce! The girl in the band has a fantastic voice.
Good Stuff..Thanks for posting...

I have spoken about Kathleen here before..unfortunately in the UK
only Johnnie Walker and Bob Harris play her stuf..

Bob especially is a huge champion of her cause, and she has been a studio guest with him many times..
QUOTE (dr winston oboogie @ Apr 26 2008, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good Stuff..Thanks for posting...

I have spoken about Kathleen here before..unfortunately in the UK
only Johnnie Walker and Bob Harris play her stuf..

Bob especially is a huge champion of her cause, and she has been a studio guest with him many times..

Another Kathleen Edwards fan here---will have to get this latest one soon.
Big D, just noticed that Justin Rutledge is opening for Kathleen this part of the tour. I highly recommend that you don't miss him when you go to the show. He's fantastic, in his dusty balladeer way. New album is infused with a sorta country-pop circa Eagles heydey.
Always one to pick up on a recommendation I went off to iTunes only to find this release is not online as yet. But, listened to some tracks from her previous releases, sounds great! A purchase will be coming along soon.

She seems like a harder Sarah Harmer, which is nothing against Sarah Harmer, but it's nice to edge it up a bit.
QUOTE (Kay @ Apr 26 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Big D, just noticed that Justin Rutledge is opening for Kathleen this part of the tour. I highly recommend that you don't miss him when you go to the show. He's fantastic, in his dusty balladeer way. New album is infused with a sorta country-pop circa Eagles heydey.

Another Alberta boy. Yeah, I've been listening to some songs streaming on the net, I'll be there to check him out. I usually try to make an effort to see opening acts, because, on occasion they turn out to perform a better set than the main act. Greater sense of urgency maybe....I remember being blown away seeing My Morning Jacket once, couldn't even remember who they opened for.

Saw Black Mountain earlier this month...great concert. I've known Jeremy (keyboard player) for awhile now, he works at the London Drugs store right beside me...we've had quite a few lively discussions about music. The rest of them work at what I like to call ground zero, or otherwise known as the safe injection site in the skids on Hastings street. It's nice to see and hear Amber showing her talent off more and more, she has a captivating voice, reminds me a bit of Amy Millan.

You should check out Stephen's alter ego band Pinkmountain Tops...a little more experimental but equally as good. Great track (shortened version): Cold Criminals

And another great track from their latest "7: Single Life
Agreed on Sarah Harmer. Like her, good song-writer, good songs with nice melodies, but when I've listened to her in the past I kept thinking, "Pick it up!" Not with pace, per se, but with depth and grit. And hey, I love mellow if mellow is good, but seeing Sarah live is sometimes unfortunately snooze-fest. I do think that Kathleen is beginning to outshine her in terms of voice and writing.

If the new album isn't yet available, my suggestion would be to visit her myspace page and listen to "Asking For Flowers". Such a simple, yet great song.
QUOTE (Big D @ Apr 26 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Kay @ Apr 26 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another Alberta boy. Yeah, I've been listening to some songs streaming on the net, I'll be there to check him out. I usually try to make an effort to see opening acts, because, on occasion they turn out to perform a better set than the main act. Greater sense of urgency maybe....I remember being blown away seeing My Morning Jacket once, couldn't even remember who they opened for.

Saw Black Mountain earlier this month...great concert. I've known Jeremy (keyboard player) for awhile now, he works at the London Drugs store right beside me...we've had quite a few lively discussions about music. The rest of them work at what I like to call ground zero, or otherwise known as the safe injection site in the skids on Hastings street. It's nice to see and hear Amber showing her talent off more and more, she has a captivating voice, reminds me a bit of Amy Millan.

You should check out Stephen's alter ego band Pinkmountain Tops...a little more experimental but equally as good. Great track (shortened version): Cold Criminals

And another great track from their latest "7: Single Life

Justin is actually an Ontario boy...tho he's got a song called Alberta Breeze.

And I like the Pinkmountain Tops. Also saw them live awhile back.
QUOTE (Kay @ Apr 26 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed on Sarah Harmer. Like her, good song-writer, good songs with nice melodies, but when I've listened to her in the past I kept thinking, "Pick it up!" Not with pace, per se, but with depth and grit. And hey, I love mellow if mellow is good, but seeing Sarah live is sometimes unfortunately snooze-fest. I do think that Kathleen is beginning to outshine her in terms of voice and writing.

If the new album isn't yet available, my suggestion would be to visit her myspace page and listen to "Asking For Flowers". Such a simple, yet great song.

Actually, I found some of the tracks streaming on her main website and had a listen. Very enjoyable. I'll pick this up as soon as I can. She's got a good website as well, with a blog. Annoyed to read that I've missed some Euro dates just recently, but I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully catch her next time round.
QUOTE (msavageesq @ Apr 27 2008, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Kay @ Apr 26 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I found some of the tracks streaming on her main website and had a listen. Very enjoyable. I'll pick this up as soon as I can. She's got a good website as well, with a blog. Annoyed to read that I've missed some Euro dates just recently, but I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully catch her next time round.

THIS ALBUM IS LIKE 2003'S FAILER....PURE PURE QUALITY....HEIR APPARENT TO LUCINDA WILLIAMS....TRACKS 12,56, 11 = IMMEDIATE HITS

HOCKEY STICKS
Had the pleasure of seeing Kathleen at the Birchmere in DC about a month ago. It was a Monday night and the place was packed. Her name & music are spreading & she could be on her way to being the next female alt country diva. It was my 2nd time seeing her live. She's blown me away both times. Sassy, sexy, with the spirit of Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Lucinda Williams & Ryan Adams enveloping her. All three of her records are great. One of my favorite female artists.....

QUOTE (Way Past Dark @ May 2 2008, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THIS ALBUM IS LIKE 2003'S FAILER....PURE PURE QUALITY....HEIR APPARENT TO LUCINDA WILLIAMS....TRACKS 12,56, 11 = IMMEDIATE HITS

HOCKEY STICKS

I would rate her above Lucinda Williams. Her 3 studio albums have been head and shoulders above anything Lucinda Williams has done (including Car Wheels, which I think is pretty good but no way near as good as the press it gets).
"Asking for flowers" is amazing, it is currently beating the latest Drive By Truckers into second place in my album of the year list,

Have the new album ordered and awaiting delivery...she first came to my attention as a support for Son Volt, didn't see any of the shows, but listened to some snippets of tracks from "Failer" so I purchased that along with "Back To Me". So many standouts, but "Hockey Skates" is great and I can't see myself ever getting sick of "In State", which Kay has already mentioned. Haven't read a bad review of the new album.

Just watched Kathleen on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. She performed "I'll Make the Dough, You Get the Glory" and performed it superbly, I thought. Great song, and she looked so happy to be there. She was havin' a great time. Man I love her!

May 29th is a night I'm looking forward to!
I liked Failer but the second one did nothing for me...so I kind of wandered away. I'll have to check the new one out.

However, I must offer serious praise for the new Tift Merritt--it's really good. Her first one is still my favorite, though.
I wasn't too familiar with Kathleen but they have been playing her new stuff on the station I listen to. Maybe I'll add it to my ongoing list of cds that I want (and I have a birthday coming up).

Anybody seen Shelby Lynn before? She's playing here in July and was thinking about seeing her.
QUOTE (ivygrl23 @ May 20 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't too familiar with Kathleen but they have been playing her new stuff on the station I listen to. Maybe I'll add it to my ongoing list of cds that I want (and I have a birthday coming up).

Anybody seen Shelby Lynn before? She's playing here in July and was thinking about seeing her.

Have not seen Shelby, but would in a hearbeat given the chance. About two months ago, I read a glowing review of her performance in Toronto...not that we can always pay heed to what the critics say, but I like this guy, and he said part of what made her so good live is the dynamic she had with her band. Part of that comes from a natural investment you have with your players, I'm sure, but he said that they all worked together so well as a whole. I really like her voice, too.

Archived