Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

2 hours ago, wolfinthepines said:

9 songs 

'Factory (Darkness on the Edge of Town). I wonder if Bruce has ever opened a show with this one?'' 

Factory was the opening song of several shows on the 1981 European Tour (on the continent). All 1981 European shows on the continent opened with Factory, Follow That Dream or Run Through The Jungle, except the first show in Hamburg, which opened with Prove It All Night.

The first 2 shows in the U.K. 1981 opened with Follow That Dream; the remainder of the 1981 U.K. shows opened with Prove It All Night, Ties That Bind or Born To Run (makes you wonder why the concept -of opening with a slow song- was dropped?)

• Like 1
  • Replies 26.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulcrusader78

• Tomas T-B

• Long_Limp_Home92

• sietze1976

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mostly when I'm in the Lake, I'm listening to Bruce at the same time. Right now I am listening to New York City Serenade from The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Which Bruce song ar

The Promised Land - Survival Bowl.

Live 75-85: Candy's Room... I'm listening on laptop in work.

Posted Images

Now that I have returned to the working world, from home, I made a huge Spotify playlist that is set to play randomly low while I work...

Today I heard Jungleland and then Last to Die. It was a great feeling to hear those two in a row. Kinda the same coin and I heard each side of it. The ending of Jungleland is the most dramatic thing, then Last to Die whirls to a quick start. Thematically they fit too. One old and the other newer. The idea of folks as fodder or grist for the mill.

Love this music.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
26 minutes ago, Lampi said:

'Factory (Darkness on the Edge of Town). I wonder if Bruce has ever opened a show with this one?'' 

Factory was the opening song of several shows on the 1981 European Tour (on the continent). All 1981 European shows on the continent opened with Factory, Follow That Dream or Run Through The Jungle, except the first show in Hamburg, which opened with Prove It All Night.

The first 2 shows in the U.K. 1981 opened with Follow That Dream; the remainder of the 1981 U.K. shows opened with Prove It All Night, Ties That Bind or Born To Run (makes you wonder why the concept -of opening with a slow song- was dropped?)

Crikey. Strange choice of opener! Mind you, I always thought that about Born to Run too. 

59 minutes ago, wolfinthepines said:

Crikey. Strange choice of opener! Mind you, I always thought that about Born to Run too. 

It seems it [Factory] was something really special, with the stage bathed in blue light, magic.

Born To Run was maybe nothing more than an early attempt to do something different than playing it in the encore (like in 2009 when Born To Run was not in the encore but the last song of the main set).

About opening with Follow That Dream:

'At the end of such a song as Follow That Dream I get a very strange feeling. Then I get the feeling I am already in people's heads. That is the reason why I opened with that song, because it is too slow to open a show with. But just because of that you make people doubt for a moment. [...] I see that as taking a big breath before you jump.... [Run Through The Jungle has the same effect because it has the same sense of intimacy]. ... But at the beginning of a show people don't expect intimacy, they are expecting 'Wrrroooommmm'...They want to get exited together, to all jump out of their seats together. But when you start with a slow song, you get the people closer to you. That is working well. We never did that before in the States, that's why I think these [European 1981] shows are better shows.'

'' So you start with a little meditation?'

'Something like that. Especially from Follow That Dream I get that feeling. As I am singing that song, I feel free. As the song is over, I think: 'OK that was it, now let's get started' and then we blast into Prove It All Night'. With Run Through The Jungle I also get that same effect, which means you don't immediately -just like everyone else'- try to get straight to the heart, get the heart and hold it up as a sort of sign of victory. No, the people are first taken a little bit apart. The strange thing is you sense you need a certain courage to do that. But just that risk gives me strength.'

Also: 'Follow That Dream sets the tone for everything which follows'.

(This from an interview in Dutch language after the two shows in Rotterdam in 1981. Which I translated myself into English now, not always literally, not everything, and without doubt most of it is not grammatically correct English. It was a little bit difficult because from reading the interview into Dutch language it seems the original translation the journalist made from English into Dutch was often not literally too, but more paraphrasing, giving his own twist to it instead of just literally translating; especially the piece about 'try to get straight to the heart, get the heart and hold it up as a sort of sign of victory' was weird in Dutch, reason it also sounds weird in English now).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Lampi said:

It seems it was something really special, with the stage bathed in blue light, magic.

Born To Run was maybe nothing more than an early attempt to do something different than playing it in the encore (like in 2009 when Born To Run was not in the encore but the last song of the main set).

About opening with Follow That Dream:

'At the end of such a song as Follow That Dream I get a very strange feeling. Then I get the feeling I am already in people's heads. That is the reason why I opened with that song, because it is too slow to open a show with. But just because of that you make people doubt for a moment. [...] I see that as taking a big breath before you jump.... [Run Through The Jungle has the same effect because it has the same sense of intimacy]. ... But at the beginning of a show people don't expect intimacy, they are expecting 'Wrrroooommmm'...They want to get exited together, to all jump out of their seats together. But when you start with a slow song, you get the people closer to you. That is working well. We never did that before in the States, that's why I think these [European 1981] shows are better shows.'

'' So you start with a little meditation?'

'Something like that. Especially from Follow That Dream I get that feeling. As I am singing that song, I feel free. As the song is over, I think: 'OK that was it, now let's get started' and then we blast into Prove It All Night'. With Run Through The Jungle I also get that same effect, which means you don't immediately -just like everyone else'- try to get straight to the heart, get the heart and hold it up as a sort of sign of victory. No, the people are first taken a little bit apart. The strange thing is you sense you need a certain courage to do that. But just that risk gives me strength.'

Also: 'Follow That Dream sets the tone for everything which follows'.

(This from an interview in Dutch language after the two shows in Rotterdam in 1981. Which I translated myself into English now, not always literally, not everything, and without doubt most of it is not grammatically correct English. It was a little bit difficult because from reading the interview into Dutch language it seems the original translation the journalist made from English into Dutch was often not literally too, but more paraphrasing, giving his own twist to it instead of just literally translating; especially the piece about 'try to get straight to the heart, get the heart and hold it up as a sort of sign of victory' was weird in Dutch, reason it also sounds weird in English now).

I’d never read that before. Fabulous stuff. It must have been amazing to have been at one of those shows.

2 minutes ago, wolfinthepines said:

I’d never read that before. Fabulous stuff. It must have been amazing to have been at one of those shows.

In the same interview Bruce also says some things about the structure of the shows and the structure of the shows resembling the structure of the albums.

The 1981 shows for sure had a better set list structure than the 1980 shows. Especially the 2nd set.

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

'The first 2 shows in the U.K. 1981 opened with Follow That Dream; the remainder of the 1981 U.K. shows opened with Prove It All Night, Ties That Bind or Born To Run (makes you wonder why the concept -of opening with a slow song- was dropped?)

Too late to edit the post, so let's quote myself then.

The day of the first show of the 1981 European Tour without a slow opening song -except the very first show of the tour in Hamburg- Bruce was ill. Reason this show -in Manchester- was the shortest show of the 1981 European Tour. Could be a reason; still not a reason to not open again with a slow song for the rest of the tour.

• Like 1

Coming home after a tough week working night shift this is the perfect way to wind down! Just fantastic, being it 1978, 1984, 2009 or 2016!

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Trouble River, today '99, CAA

The first time a show opened with Backstreets. We were behind the stage, and had taken binoculars. So before the show started the dw went closer once the setlists were taped down to get a gander. When she came back and said he was opening with Backstreets I truly thought she was mistaken. So I went to see for myself. She was of course correct. But now I had seen the entire setlist, and I have to say, I'd never want that again. I want the element of the unknown.

1999-08-01 - CONTINENTAL AIRLINES ARENA, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: SOMETHING IN THE NIGHT

BACKSTREETS / THE TIES THAT BIND / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / TWO HEARTS / TRAPPED / MANSION ON THE HILL / INDEPENDENCE DAY / YOUNGSTOWN / MURDER INCORPORATED / BADLANDS / DARLINGTON COUNTY / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / TROUBLE RIVER / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / THE GHOST OF TOM JOAD / RACING IN THE STREET / LIGHT OF DAY / RAMROD / BOBBY JEAN / BORN TO RUN / THUNDER ROAD / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS

The first known time that "Backstreets" has opened the set. Also includes an unique "Trouble River" for the tour (the song's only performance to date) and a great "Ramrod" in its tour debut, including the "engine start"-bit, previously done to perfection during the Born In The U.S.A. Tour. "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" includes "It's All Right", "Move On Up", "The Monkey Time", "Lookin' For A Love", and "Rumble Doll", plus Steve playing a snippet of "Soul Man" and Garry playing a snippet of "Fire" for their solos. "Light Of Day" includes "I've Been Everywhere". Final show of the tour not to feature "Out In The Street".

• Like 4

Brilliant Disguise.:)

From Phantom Magic Night For Danny In Tampa.

Hmm...I've heard so many 1988 shows over the years,  and some of them very often, hearing a live version of this song outside the context of a 1988 show sounds a little bit weird.... (I am also always expecting Part Man, Part Monkey after One Step Up,  not When You're Alone:D).

BD is a great song of course, and one of Bruce's best video clips too, if not the best.

• Like 3

As I often tell Mr. RJM... “nothin’ matters in this whole wide world... when you’re in love with a Jersey Girl!”  

(I’m sure @BrilliantDisguise agrees with me!!)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

One of those songs which get stuck in one's head. Great guitar riff. One of the great things about Bruce is that he still plays songs 30+ years after their release and does them justice. 1985 vs 2016 ... both brilliant (and again an example of the great storyteller Bruce is) in their own right. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
10 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Racin', today 2005, Grand Rapids

A beautiful solo piano version. I'm tempted to buy at least one of those 2005 concerts. I have none of those (except for one or two audience recordings which I did not listen to yet). I really have to say I could listen to this version on repeat all day! 

I Wanna Mary You ~ The single album version from the Ties That Bind - The River collection