Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

Quarter To Three!:)

It goes without saying etc...:D

Portland 19 December 1978.

(Finally finished now listening to the Portland show, as I thought blasting Detroit Medley, Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out and Quarter To Three at full volume at 0.30. A.M. maybe might not be appreciated that much by the upstairs neighbours yesterday evening (actually of course today as it was 0.30. A.M.!:)) (God bless I don't have downstairs neighbours!:)).

• Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 1

Pretty Flamingo!:)

Seattle 20 December 1978 (as posted by Jim on the previous page).

Bonus track on the Paramount Night CD (Portland 19.12.1978).

Nice, but not as great as the definitieve performance of Pretty Flamingo from Roxy 17.10.1975.

• Love Love Love! 1

6 hours ago, JimCT said:

I was asked yesterday about Backstreets performances. Because this is better known with the harder-core bootleg community and not so widespread, I just wanted to remind folks of these shows in Boston in March of '77, and what special performances they were

Jim, You absolutely nailed it there! For me, Backstreets is one of his best-ever songs, & the performances during the Lawsuit tour are arguably his most intense, so put the 2 together, & Boston '77 for Backstreets will live with me forever, end of.....It's got the anger, the frustration, the emotion, the love, the pain & the joy.

For any aspiring musician, if they want to learn the craft of the masters, here's one of the best examples of what the pinnacle is. Sorry for spouting forth, I really can't stress enough how much this means to me!

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

24 minutes ago, mickb said:

Jim, You absolutely nailed it there! For me, Backstreets is one of his best-ever songs, & the performances during the Lawsuit tour are arguably his most intense, so put the 2 together, & Boston '77 for Backstreets will live with me forever, end of.....It's got the anger, the frustration, the emotion, the love, the pain & the joy.

For any aspiring musician, if they want to learn the craft of the masters, here's one of the best examples of what the pinnacle is. Sorry for spouting forth, I really can't stress enough how much this means to me!

“Desperation” is another description I use for these. It’s the power of Its My Life from the Palladium the preceding November - just so raw, and so powerful. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sunshine2020 said:

The Promised Land!!!! -- my favourite!!!

Not so long ago it was said (on this forum) The Promised Land is -apparently-  Bruce Springsteen's favourite Bruce Springsteen song.

• Love Love Love! 1

On 12/20/2020 at 12:11 AM, sunshine2020 said:

Lampi please share, you wrote: sometimes said to be the greatest show .... share a little bit more please and thank you!:D

It's a few things: (Portland 19 December 1978).

This is considered one of the best, if not the best, audience tapes of the entire Darkness Tour.

Crystal Cat says in their booklet of the CD the Portland 19.12.1978 show was better than Winterland 15.12.1978, possible the best show of the Darkness Tour, and also possible one of the best shows Bruce Springsteen & The ESB ever played.

You could argue the best show of what is generally considered the best tour, also is the best show ever, period.

This all, as everything, subjective (except it is one of the best audience tapes of the tour, not especially the best, but maybe it is; especially the sound quality of the first set).

And there are many special things: very great performances of the core Darkness Tour November-December 1978 setlist, a very hot Quarter To Three, the greatest ever introduction story to Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, rare Darkness Tour performances of Rave On and Rendezvous, a very special  Backstreets in which during the Sad Eyes part Bruce goes in a conversation with a member of the audience.

Something more: a review of the bootleg stated this show is so great, just because it is an audience recording; that is, an audience recording almost on the same level as a radio broadcast (in terms of sound quality), with the atmosphere a radio broadcast [and a soundboard recording]  are missing, with as a result:

'This amazing audience recording captures the music and the atmosphere of a Darkness Tour show,'  '....'  'The way it really must have sounded in 1978.' '....' 'Listen and shiver.'  '....' 'Maybe the greatest Bruce Springsteen bootleg ever' [in 1995].

For what it is worth, it is also sometimes said the show in Seattle the next day, 20 December 1978, where they returned for a final encore 10 minutes after what seemed the last song, is the greatest show Bruce Springsteen & The ESB ever played; but maybe Portland wins because of sound quality.

Also, for what is worth, it is also sometimes said August-September 1978 was the peak in Bruce Springsteen's & The ESB performing history, all very great shows, very great perfomances, quite some setlist variation in a tour that is not known for its setlist variation. And many very good audience recordings, various soundboards and 3 radio shows as evidence.

For what it is worth. All opinions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lampi said:

It's a few things: (Portland 19 December 1978).

This is considered one of the best, if not the best, audience tapes of the entire Darkness Tour.

Crystal Cat says in their booklet of the CD the Portland 19.12.1978 show was better than Winterland 15.12.1978, possible the best show of the Darkness Tour, and also possible one of the best shows Bruce Springsteen & The ESB ever played.

You could argue the best show of what is generally considered the best tour, also is the best show ever, period.

This all, as everything, subjective (except it is one of the best audience tapes of the tour, not especially the best, but maybe it is; especially the sound quality of the first set).

And there are quite some special things: very great performances of the core Darkness Tour November-December 1978 setlist, a very hot Quarter To Three, the greatest ever introduction story to Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, rare Darkness Tour performances of Rave On and Rendezvous, a very special  Backstreets in which during the Sad Eyes part Bruce goes in a conversation with a member of the audience.

Something more: a review of the bootleg stated this show is so great, just because it is an audience recording; that is, an audience recording almost (not quite, but almost) on the same level as a radio broadcast (in terms of sound quality), with the atmosphere a radio broadcast [and a soundboard recording]  are missing, with as a result:

'This amazing audience recording captures the music and the atmosphere of a Darkness Tour show,'  '....'  'The way it really must have sounded in 1978.' '....' 'Listen and shiver.'  '....' 'Maybe the greatest Bruce Springsteen bootleg ever' [in 1995].

For what it is worth, it is also sometimes said the show in Seattle the next day, 20 December 1978, where they returned for a final encore 10 minutes after what seemed the last song, is the greatest show Bruce Springsteen & The ESB ever played; but maybe Portland wins because of sound quality.

Also, for what is worth, it is also sometimes said August-September 1978 was the peak in Bruce Springsteen's performing history, all very great shows, very great perfomances, quite some setlist variation in a tour that is not known for its setlist variation. And many very good audience recordings, various soundboards and 3 radio shows as evidence.

For what it is worth. All opinions.

Thanks Lampi! I inhaled it all!

OK -- now to see what I have ... hold please ... OK this is the one:

1978-12-19 Portland-Pat Lee Master

Or do I need to request different version? Crystal Cat?

7 minutes ago, sunshine2020 said:

1978-12-19 Portland-Pat Lee Master Or do I need to request different version?

From Brucebase: 

'Audience tape of exceptional quality. Released on CD 'Paramount Night' (Crystal Cat). Also available from the master cassettes (by 'Pat Lee), although Paramount Night is slightly better with more punch, to this writer anyway. The sound quality of the first set is remarkable. Unfortunately, it decreases somewhat during "Jungleland", and never really recovers to previous levels.'

Edit: What you don't get in this digital age is the packaging, booklet, liner notes, etc. of the original bootleg. Probably also not the bonus tracks, but they are often not that great and/or essential anyway, and sometimes even disrupting the flow of the show. This is different for Paramount Night, with 2 songs from the show in Seattle the next day (Pretty Flamingo and The Fever). 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lampi said:

From Brucebase: 

'Audience tape of exceptional quality. Released on CD 'Paramount Night' (Crystal Cat). Also available from the master cassettes (by 'Pat Lee), although Paramount Night is slightly better with more punch, to this writer anyway. The sound quality of the first set is remarkable. Unfortunately, it decreases somewhat during "Jungleland", and never really recovers to previous levels.'

And which one do you personally prefer?

16 minutes ago, sunshine2020 said:

And which one do you personally prefer?

I don't know...this is the disclaimer I wrote about in the other topic. I only have the original pysical bootleg Paramount Night. And I still own the show (also) on cassette tapes!:D

And, I don't have the ears many people on this forum seem to have. I can hear if a recording is good or not, or really excellent, like Portland, or really bad (this last category from my tape trading days, way back then). But more or less punch...pfff...

Usually complaints about Archive Series releases, great or a not so great mix, guitar too high or too low in the mix; I don't hear those things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I don't know...this is the disclaimer I wrote about in the other topic. I only have the original pysical bootleg Paramount Night. And I still own the show (also) on cassette tapes!:D

And, I don't have the ears many people on this forum seem to have. I can hear if a recording is good or not, or really excellent, like Portland, or really bad (this last category from my tape trading days, way back then). But more or less punch...pfff...

Usually complaints about Archive Series releases, great or a not so great mix, guitar too high or too low in the mix; I don't hear those things.

Thanks Lampi for taking the time to share and explain :D

I think I'm like you: I know good or not or really excellent -- which I think is fine!