Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

• Replies 29.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulcrusader78

• Tomas T-B

• JimCT

• Long_Limp_Home92

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mostly when I'm in the Lake, I'm listening to Bruce at the same time. Right now I am listening to New York City Serenade from The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Which Bruce song are

The Promised Land - Survival Bowl.

Live 75-85: Candy's Room... I'm listening on laptop in work.

Posted Images

1984-11-04 Sports Arena Los Angeles CA - Washing Sins Off Our Hands (Jim S Master - Flynn Transfer)

Shut Out The Light -- chills ... sublime.

Now moving onto:

1984-11-08 Arizona St University Tempe AZ - Happy Rest Of Your Life (Jim S Master - Flynnn Transfer)

Shut Out The Light -- awesome recording -- and 11-04: the better of the two versions. Now that I know the secret I'm so amazed!!! :) :D

Thanks for giving context to my 11 year old pea brain!

@JimCT

1 hour ago, sunshine2020 said:

1984-11-04 Sports Arena Los Angeles CA - Washing Sins Off Our Hands (Jim S Master - Flynn Transfer)

Shut Out The Light -- chills ... sublime.

Now moving onto:

1984-11-08 Arizona St University Tempe AZ - Happy Rest Of Your Life (Jim S Master - Flynnn Transfer)

Shut Out The Light -- awesome recording -- and 11-04: the better of the two versions. Now that I know the secret I'm so amazed!!! :) :D

Thanks for giving context to my 11 year old pea brain!

@JimCT

I'm excited that you discerned a difference. IMO context is so important - live music is not about recreating the record experience, it's about channeling what is within the artist at the moment and sharing that with the audience. And by definition each moment is unique - here today, gone tomorrow. I don't need to know what made the moment, I just have to be open to hearing it. And Bruce is a master at finding that emotional kernel within him and expressing it to us. I think that is why he "needs" to perform live, it's as fundamental to his soul as breathing is to his body. That's what I cherish. When we're at the live show it's important that we be able to discern it. (Good audience ;)) Boots of shows we've attended allow us to relive it. When all we have is the boot it is harder, but absolutely possible. No one who has ever heard Drift Away from 8/20 could miss that IMO, whether they were there that night or not.

I have no idea what was going on within Bruce for that 11/4 show, but something had him in a special emotional place - Shut Out the Light, No Surrender, and Racing show me that. I don't think it's a coincidence that 1980-11-05 followed Reagan's first election, or that 1984-11-08 followed his re-election. The finale at the Meadowswamp 8/20, with Steve and the horns, clearly was special.

Compare Jersey Girl 1981-07-09 to 1985-09-01 to GS10 2003-08-31. I'd argue that single Bruce, played indoors, was very different from newly married (to a PacNW girl) Bruce, and both differed from a more mature, married-to-a-Jersey-girl Bruce, with a love within his relationship with Patti, played outdoors. Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

• Love Love Love! 2
26 minutes ago, JimCT said:

I'm excited that you discerned a difference. IMO context is so important - live music is not about recreating the record experience, it's about channeling what is within the artist at the moment and sharing that with the audience. And by definition each moment is unique - here today, gone tomorrow. I don't need to know what made the moment, I just have to be open to hearing it. And Bruce is a master at finding that emotional kernel within him and expressing it to us. I think that is why he "needs" to perform live, it's as fundamental to his soul as breathing is to his body. That's what I cherish. When we're at the live show it's important that we be able to discern it. (Good audience ;)) Boots of shows we've attended allow us to relive it. When all we have is the boot it is harder, but absolutely possible. No one who has ever heard Drift Away from 8/20 could miss that IMO, whether they were there that night or not.

I have no idea what was going on within Bruce for that 11/4 show, but something had him in a special emotional place - Shut Out the Light, No Surrender, and Racing show me that. I don't think it's a coincidence that 1980-11-05 followed Reagan's first election, or that 1984-11-08 followed his re-election. The finale at the Meadowswamp 8/20, with Steve and the horns, clearly was special.

Compare Jersey Girl 1981-07-09 to 1985-09-01 to GS10 2003-08-31. I'd argue that single Bruce, played indoors, was very different from newly married (to a PacNW girl) Bruce, and both differed from a more mature, married to a Jersey girl Bruce, with a love within his relationship with Patti, played outdoors. Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

I'm learning from The Master! uhhh The Legend :D

More later ... thank you! Hugs!

EDIT: " finding that emotional kernel within him and expressing it to us" -- the best description and it so resonates! Thank you again for putting words and expression to my thoughts.

4 minutes ago, sunshine2020 said:

My favourite version of all time! :D

Following you:

2000-07-01 MSG NYC (Crystal Cat)

Bloody awesomeness!

That one's worth getting the official d/load for - just listening to BITUSA into Backstreets from it now - oh my :D

• Love Love Love! 1
2 minutes ago, the-chickenman said:

Ahh, good times! An incredible show!

Yes it most certainly was!!!  :wub:

(I have a photo from that show of us with hotsteppinhemi in my ‘Bruce collage!’) :D

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Yes it most certainly was!!!  :wub:

(I have a photo from that show of us with hotsteppinhemi in my ‘Bruce collage!’) :D

Cool! B)
Maybe some day we can actually take another picture together again! :)

• Love Love Love! 1

The Nebraska album, from start to finish.

Very fitting for today. Blue Monday; (almost) everything in lockdown; a curfew coming (probably, maybe).

Dry January never was as inappropriate as this January. Even if I don't drink alcohol myself.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, wolfinthepines said:

Local Hero. 

'Next up is the (autobiographical?) story of Bruce finding a picture of himself in what I imagine is a ‘bric a brac’ shop in his home town'.

The story goes Bruce was driving around a little bit and then saw a wall with posters of himself, a Doberman and Bruce Lee. So on the outside of the wall. Now reading the post, it seems strange it would be outside, as the posters would not be very long outside in bad weather before rain and wind would tear them apart.  So maybe it was inside, then. Anyway, the story seems to be true and indeed autobiographical.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Lampi said:

The Nebraska album, from start to finish.

Very fitting for today. Blue Monday; (almost) everything in lockdown; a curfew coming (probably, maybe).

Dry January never was as inappropriate as this January. Even if I don't drink alcohol myself.

We're in lockdown too and I expect a curfew coming too. No worries about not drinking -- I'll drink yours :D

Teardrops On The City - Stockholm '81 - The whole album

Still remember the excitement of finding a copy of the vinyl at a record fair in Edinburgh many years ago. It's a lovely piece of work, so professionally put together (unlike a lot of vinyl boots), & the sound didn't disappoint :)

• Love Love Love! 3