Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

I'm still on an acoustic jag -- with the 24 hour news on mute -- I'm almost holding my breath waiting for the next to days to pass.

1996-03-14 Spektrum Oslo Norway - An Acoustic Evening in Oslo (Limited Production)

The whole show ... very nice recording!

EDIT: Nebraska, Brothers Under The Bridge & BITUSA - beautiful ....

• Like 2
  • Replies 28.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulcrusader78

• Tomas T-B

• Long_Limp_Home92

• Lampi

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mostly when I'm in the Lake, I'm listening to Bruce at the same time. Right now I am listening to New York City Serenade from The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Which Bruce song are

The Promised Land - Survival Bowl.

Live 75-85: Candy's Room... I'm listening on laptop in work.

Posted Images

On 1/18/2021 at 12:15 PM, the-chickenman said:

Cool! B)
Maybe some day we can actually take another picture together again! :)

Please oh please oh please!!!!!! :wub:

Listening to the first set of the show in Saratoga Springs, July 27th, 1984. The sound is maybe 6 out of 10 at best but fun nonetheless. :)

• Like 1
On 1/17/2021 at 7:51 PM, JimCT said:

I'm excited that you discerned a difference. IMO context is so important - live music is not about recreating the record experience, it's about channeling what is within the artist at the moment and sharing that with the audience. And by definition each moment is unique - here today, gone tomorrow. I don't need to know what made the moment, I just have to be open to hearing it. And Bruce is a master at finding that emotional kernel within him and expressing it to us. I think that is why he "needs" to perform live, it's as fundamental to his soul as breathing is to his body. That's what I cherish. When we're at the live show it's important that we be able to discern it. (Good audience ;)) Boots of shows we've attended allow us to relive it. When all we have is the boot it is harder, but absolutely possible. No one who has ever heard Drift Away from 8/20 could miss that IMO, whether they were there that night or not.

I have no idea what was going on within Bruce for that 11/4 show, but something had him in a special emotional place - Shut Out the Light, No Surrender, and Racing show me that. I don't think it's a coincidence that 1980-11-05 followed Reagan's first election, or that 1984-11-08 followed his re-election. The finale at the Meadowswamp 8/20, with Steve and the horns, clearly was special.

Compare Jersey Girl 1981-07-09 to 1985-09-01 to GS10 2003-08-31. I'd argue that single Bruce, played indoors, was very different from newly married (to a PacNW girl) Bruce, and both differed from a more mature, married-to-a-Jersey-girl Bruce, with a love within his relationship with Patti, played outdoors. Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

Ron Kovic was in the audience at the 1984-11-04 show - that must played a big part in making "Shut out the light" special for Bruce.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Breakaway said:

Ron Kovic was in the audience at the 1984-11-04 show - that must played a big part in making "Shut out the light" special for Bruce.

Yes, that was the substance of our discussion. 11/4 it was essentially first person. I can only imagine the emotions that Bruce could surface while reading Born on the 4th of July, given his own history with the Vietnam war and friends lost. What are the odds he'd run into the author at a random hotel pool while he was reading it?

Now, @sunshine2020 was at 11/4 but not 11/8; I was at both. I wonder if others can tell the difference in a "blind taste test", so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
26 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Yes, that was the substance of our discussion. 11/4 it was essentially first person. I can only imagine the emotions that Bruce could surface while reading Born on the 4th of July, given his own history with the Vietnam war and friends lost. What are the odds he'd run into the author at a random hotel pool while he was reading it?

Now, @sunshine2020 was at 11/4 but not 11/8; I was at both. I wonder if others can tell the difference in a "blind taste test", so to speak.

Bruce also met Julianne during the shows in L.A in '84 - that might have also affected the shows in late '84.

1 hour ago, Breakaway said:

Bruce also met Julianne during the shows in L.A in '84 - that might have also affected the shows in late '84.

That would more likely manifest in Pink Cadillac, Cover Me, DITD, or I'm on Fire :D 

I had conflated two memories - Greensboro, 18 Jan 85, when Bruce told the story and included meeting Ron, and him looking at the book in Bruce's hand, and Ron saying, "I wrote that book." brucebumps.

My heartfelt thanks to you, @Breakaway, for all your work at compiling those storyteller moments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had been out walking with the WS album but still had a block to go and i really enjoyed today's LOHAD so i found Boston 19/11/07 and then followed that up with American land

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Had been out walking with the WS album but still had a block to go and i really enjoyed today's LOHAD so i found Boston 19/11/07 and then followed that up with American land

Hi Daisey. Maybe you should come here more often instead of.......instead of the you-know-which-topic-I-mean - Topic?:)

:D:D:D:D:D

• Haha 2