Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

• Replies 29.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulcrusader78

• Tomas T-B

• JimCT

• Long_Limp_Home92

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mostly when I'm in the Lake, I'm listening to Bruce at the same time. Right now I am listening to New York City Serenade from The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Which Bruce song are

The Promised Land - Survival Bowl.

Live 75-85: Candy's Room... I'm listening on laptop in work.

Posted Images

!!!

I'm doing a deep dive on some of the Tracks songs I haven't spent much time with yet. A lot of them are some of the expected, lesser Tracks cuts that aren't the best, but a couple gems have slipped through the cracks, too. And so right now I'm listening to "Shut Out the Light", which I know is considered one of the best ones but I just never spent time with for some reason. Clearly this song in general deserves a really attentive, depressing, deep dive, but something that jumped out at me right away is:

image.png.b26bf65ebd964c111a56bc5b58516f64.png image.png.357ee7dfba26da6a9cf2cc822f0ed7fd.png

5 minutes ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

!!!

I'm doing a deep dive on some of the Tracks songs I haven't spent much time with yet. A lot of them are some of the expected, lesser Tracks cuts that aren't the best, but a couple gems have slipped through the cracks, too. And so right now I'm listening to "Shut Out the Light", which I know is considered one of the best ones but I just never spent time with for some reason. Clearly this song in general deserves a really attentive, depressing, deep dive, but something that jumped out at me right away is:

image.png.b26bf65ebd964c111a56bc5b58516f64.png image.png.357ee7dfba26da6a9cf2cc822f0ed7fd.png

Good catch!  -- and this has been noted elsewhere ... years ago nice to read it again! Thanks!

4 minutes ago, sunshine2020 said:

Good catch!  -- and this has been noted elsewhere ... years ago nice to read it again! Thanks!

Thanks! "He stares across the lights of the city and dreams of where he's been" is also REALLY similar to the closing image of "Unsatisfied Heart", one of my top 15 Bruce songs at least - totally different context, but still - so clearly he was kind of playing with that image at the time, and I'm glad some remnant of that song made its way into an official release.

• Like 1

Nassau 1980-12-31 - All of it as it's rude to listen to just one song (& impossible to turn off).....!

• Like 1

today '74, Liberty Hall, Houston - all of it :)

https://videopress.com/v/VC633j2B

1974-03-09 - LIBERTY HALL, HOUSTON, TX

WILD BILLY'S CIRCUS STORY / NEW YORK CITY SERENADE / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / WALKING THE DOG / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / THE E STREET SHUFFLE / BLINDED BY THE LIGHT / FOR YOU / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT)
Setlist may be incomplete.

Late show, double bill, with Springsteen and band headlining and Jimmie Spheeris opening. Prior to "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" someone in the crowd requests "The Fever" - Bruce doesn't perform it at this show but promises the crowd that he'll work up a band arrangement and play it the next time he is in Houston. It seems Bruce accelerated that promise, as he surprises everyone by performing a semi-band version at the late show the following night. "The E Street Shuffle" includes "Having A Party". "For You" is the solo piano version.

• Like 1

today 2000, Sunrise, FL - all of it :)

pt 1 - https://videopress.com/v/dWAWaSej

pt 2 - https://videopress.com/v/hoNIyp2z

pt 2 - https://videopress.com/v/OIp6vgk0

why they chose to cut it in the middle of Backstreets is beyond my understanding

2000-03-09 - NATIONAL CAR RENTAL CENTER, SUNRISE, FL

Soundcheck: BRILLIANT DISGUISE / TOUGHER THAN THE REST / MEETING IN THE TOWN TONIGHT - MY LOVE WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN / DON'T LOOK BACK / THE GHOST OF TOM JOAD / NO SURRENDER / BORN IN THE U.S.A.

DON'T LOOK BACK / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / TWO HEARTS / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / THE PROMISED LAND / MANSION ON THE HILL / THE RIVER / YOUNGSTOWN / MURDER INCORPORATED / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / BRILLIANT DISGUISE / SHE'S THE ONE / THE GHOST OF TOM JOAD / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BACKSTREETS / LIGHT OF DAY / HUNGRY HEART / RAMROD / BORN TO RUN / THUNDER ROAD / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS

Set includes "Don't Look Back" to open (after the "Meeting In The Town Tonight" introduction), and "Brilliant Disguise" making its American tour debut in its first appearance since April 1999. "Two Hearts" includes "It Takes Two". "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" includes "It's All Right", "Take Me To The River", "Red Headed Woman", and "Rumble Doll". "Born In The U.S.A." is the acoustic version. "Light Of Day" includes "I've Been Everywhere". The show takes place in Sunrise, a suburb of Fort Lauderdale.

Drift Away - 1984 Brendan Byrne - on the latest Live Series (Songs under Cover v2) - I've said it before & I'll say it again - this song is enough to make grown men weak at the knees - & the fact that it's Stevie joining Bruce on stage (who's not touring with him at that stage) - & they sing the line 'thanks for the joy 20 years have given me' - wow!

Two best friends reuniting & pouring out their emotions - doesn't get any better than that :)

@JimCT gets it, as does @sunshine2020 & I'm sure many others do also...

• Love Love Love! 2
18 minutes ago, mickb said:

Drift Away - 1984 Brendan Byrne - on the latest Live Series (Songs under Cover v2) - I've said it before & I'll say it again - this song is enough to make grown men weak at the knees - & the fact that it's Stevie joining Bruce on stage (who's not touring with him at that stage) - & they sing the line 'thanks for the joy 20 years have given me' - wow!

Two best friends reuniting & pouring out their emotions - doesn't get any better than that :)

@JimCT gets it, as does @sunshine2020 & I'm sure many others do also...

Only Steve sings the "20 years" part - and the "listen Brucie" lead in suggests it was something Steve sprung on Bruce, which makes it even more intimate. That moment that night was so magical, and it lives on within my mind and always gives me brucebumps.

For a nice pairing, try the solo acoustic No Surrender from 11/4/84 LA a few months later. Bruce's ache for, and love for, his absent friend is palpable.

@sunshine2020 tried it ;)

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Only Steve sings the "20 years" part - and the "listen Brucie" lead in suggests it was something Steve sprung on Bruce, which makes it even more intimate. That moment that night was so magical, and it lives on within my mind, and always gives me brucebumps.

For a nice pairing, try the solo acoustic No Surrender from 11/4/84 LA a few months later. Bruce's ache for, and love for, his absent friend is palpable.

ah, ok, thanks Jim. it sounds like someone else was also singing that line in the background, I just assumed it was both - I don't suppose there's any video circulating for this ? It must have been amazing to be there!

Will give NS a spin in a mo, after I've finished the album itself :)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

today 2000, Sunrise, FL - all of it :) 

https://videopress.com/v/yFmTGIYP

d/l with a right click ;) @mickb @sunshine2020

2000-03-10 - NATIONAL CAR RENTAL CENTER, SUNRISE, FL

Soundcheck: LUCKY TOWN / TOUGHER THAN THE REST / HUMAN TOUCH / MEETING IN THE TOWN TONIGHT - THE TIES THAT BIND / BORN IN THE U.S.A.

THE TIES THAT BIND / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / TWO HEARTS / TRAPPED / DARLINGTON COUNTY / MY HOMETOWN / POINT BLANK / YOUNGSTOWN / MURDER INCORPORATED / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / TOUGHER THAN THE REST / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / THE GHOST OF TOM JOAD / MEETING ACROSS THE RIVER / JUNGLELAND / LIGHT OF DAY / BOBBY JEAN / BORN TO RUN / THUNDER ROAD / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS / RAMROD

U.S. tour debut for "Tougher Than The Rest", its last performance of the tour. The "Meeting In The Town Tonight" introduction opens, followed by "The Ties That Bind". "Two Hearts" includes "It Takes Two". "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" includes "It's All Right", "Take Me To The River", "Red Headed Woman", and "Rumble Doll". "Light Of Day" includes a verse of "Wooly Bully" and "I've Been Everywhere", plus an instrumental snippet of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" in the midsection.

• Like 1

today 2003, Providence - all of it :) 

pt 1 - https://videopress.com/v/QP9eBlhw

pt 2 - https://videopress.com/v/CH2ys76b

2003-03-10 - DUNKIN' DONUTS CENTER, PROVIDENCE, RI

WAR / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / NIGHT / CANDY'S ROOM / THE FUSE / EMPTY SKY / YOU'RE MISSING / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / MARY'S PLACE / THUNDER ROAD / COUNTIN' ON A MIRACLE / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND / INTO THE FIRE / BOBBY JEAN / RAMROD / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / DANCING IN THE DARK

"Spirit In The Night" is the full band arrangement. "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", "Lookin' For A Love", and "Baby, I've Been Missing You", plus Bruce beginning the song with lines from "The Way You Do The Things You Do", "Soothe Me", "Soul Man", "In The Midnight Hour", and "Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine". "If I Should Fall Behind" is solo piano in its final tour performance. "Bobby Jean" is dedicated to the 100 people who died in a fire at The Station, a Rhode Island nightclub. Patti Scialfa is not present.

2 hours ago, mickb said:

ah, ok, thanks Jim. it sounds like someone else was also singing that line in the background, I just assumed it was both - I don't suppose there's any video circulating for this ? It must have been amazing to be there!

I've said before, and I'll say it again. That solo acoustic version is so different from the up-tempo, full-band, fist-pumping anthem of campaign rallies as to be a completely different song entirely. I love it, and I prefer it.

3 hours ago, mickb said:

I was -- just wish I had better recollection .... :( ... too young for insight too!

• Love Love Love! 1
5 hours ago, JimCT said:

Only Steve sings the "20 years" part - and the "listen Brucie" lead in suggests it was something Steve sprung on Bruce, which makes it even more intimate. That moment that night was so magical, and it lives on within my mind and always gives me brucebumps.

@sunshine2020 tried it ;)

It's another version I've played hundreds of times, just never though of pairing it with 'Drift Away', but thinking about it, it does fit perfectly. That's the beauty of so much of Bruce's music, a full-blown head-on rocker can sound just as good, if not better, stripped to the bare bones, with just an acoustic guitar, or piano.

I'll be crying my eyes out in a minute....

Just pure class!

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Hug 1