Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

3 minutes ago, mickb said:

It's another version I've played hundreds of times, just never though of pairing it with 'Drift Away', but thinking about it, it does fit perfectly. That's the beauty of so much of Bruce's music, a full-blown head-on rocker can sound just as good, if not better, stripped to the bare bones, with just an acoustic guitar, or piano.

I'll be crying my eyes out in a minute....

Just pure class!

Add Racing In The Street from 1984-11-04 to that twosome ....

ping @JimCT

• Love Love Love! 1

4 minutes ago, sunshine2020 said:

Add Racing In The Street from 1984-11-04 to that twosome ....

ping @JimCT

You pair are going to turn me into an emotional wreck at this rate.....:P

Spinning RITS now.

• Love Love Love! 2

1 minute ago, sunshine2020 said:

One of my all time favourite!

Drift Away is so emotional .... when Stevie comes in a starts singing "20 years ..."

was I not right? I remember hearing it many years ago, & it took me a few years after that to track it down, before the days of the interweb, & was overjoyed when I finally found a vinyl boot of that gig :)

• Love Love Love! 1

Just now, mickb said:

was I not right? I remember hearing it many years ago, & it took me a few years after that to track it down, before the days of the interweb, & was overjoyed when I finally found a vinyl boot of that gig :)

Imagine how I felt in May of '88 when I finally traded for a cassette of 8/20/84, and was able to play it for the first time since hearing it live. 

• Bruuuuce! 2

Change of pace -- an emotional break is required! :lol:

1995-11-21 State Theatre New Brunswick NJ (slipkid68 Master Recording)

'This recording captures Springsteen in a public dress rehearsal the night before he began his Ghost Of Tom Joad Tour ... In this setting each song took on a new dimension.'

This recording is the Master for previous released shows.

The sound is magnificent! Springsteen is in good form as the lone troubadour!

LOVE LOVE LOVE

-- a haunting version Adam Raised A Cain ....

EDIT: this is a new release and can be downloaded at Bootleg Corner! :D

• Hug 1

1 hour ago, mickb said:

It's another version I've played hundreds of times, just never though of pairing it with 'Drift Away', but thinking about it, it does fit perfectly. That's the beauty of so much of Bruce's music, a full-blown head-on rocker can sound just as good, if not better, stripped to the bare bones, with just an acoustic guitar, or piano.

I'll be crying my eyes out in a minute....

Just pure class!

2 days after that show I was driving alone up thru Muir Woods on my way to Point Reyes, on a dusty 2-lane thru the hills, playing that song and quietly sobbing to myself, trying desperately to stay on my side of the road. Want to know the real magic of bootlegging? Leaving the show with maybe the only copy in existence, and being able to replay it as soon as you want, as many times as you want.

• Love Love Love! 2

3 minutes ago, JimCT said:

2 days after that show I was driving alone up thru Muir Woods on my way to Point Reyes, on a dusty 2-lane thru the hills, playing that song and quietly sobbing to myself, trying desperately to stay on my side of the road. Want to know the real magic of bootlegging? Leaving the show with maybe the only copy in existence, and being able to replay it as soon as you want, as many times as you want

My oldest brother said something in the same vein: we were leaving a concert and he said the local radio station missed a huge opportunity by not playing pieces of the show immediately afterwards. Westwood One recorded and replayed concerts in those days.

• Like 2

Just now, sunshine2020 said:

My oldest brother said something in the same vein: we were leaving a concert and he said the local radio station missed a huge opportunity by not playing pieces of the show immediately afterwards. Westwood One recorded and replayed concerts in those days.

Deadheads understand - and we always had the bestest recordings :D 

• Haha 2

today '72, Highlands, NJ - all of it :)

Bruce Springsteen Band - right click to d/l ;) 

https://videopress.com/v/gDKpMFQm

THE BALLAD OF JESSE JAMES / IT'S ALL OVER NOW, BABY BLUE / WHEN YOU DANCE / LOOK TOWARDS THE LAND / I'VE GOT TO HAVE YOU BABY / FUNK SONG / COMING HOME / DO IT WITH A FEELING / DO IT WITH A FEELING
Setlist incomplete and may be inaccurate.

The listed nine songs (including a partial take) are known from a high-quality soundboard recording of a Bruce Springsteen Band rehearsal held at Tinker West's Challenger Eastern Surfboards location. The band line-up is Van Zandt-Sancious-Tallent-Lopez. In addition to the seventy-six minutes of music there are nearly seven minutes of fascinating between-song banter, much of it between Springsteen and Tinker West, who Bruce jokingly refers to as 'Stinky'. Tinker appears to be testing some new recording equipment and the sound quality is uniformly excellent. It is evident from the discussions that the rehearsals had been going on for some time before the recording starts. It should be noted that this is not Challenger's more famous Wanamassa location that Bruce had lived in during the 1969-70 Steel Mill era. Tinker West had relocated the factory to Highlands, NJ in early 1970, and had then constructed a more professional rehearsal room. The standout track here is "When You Dance". Although rough quality live renditions exist, this is a clear rendition, with astounding Springsteen-Van Zandt dual lead guitar interplay. Noteworthy as well is "Funk Song" (also known as "Funk Says Right On"). There are no live renditions of "Funk Song" from this period circulating, however, Bruce surprisingly resurrected it during a few shows early on the Born To Run Tour (see gig listings for July 23, 1975 , July 28, 1975 and August 8, 1975 ). In addition to Dylan's "It's All Over Now Baby Blue", there is also a cover of "I've Got To Have You Baby", a rare 1956 R&B single by Jimmy Jones (who hit the top in 1960 with "Handy Man") & The Pretenders.

• Like 1