Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

I bet it was! The entire set list was great and one of the shows I pull stuff to listen to a lot. 

Be True is so catchy and definitely should've been on The River. I was really hoping he'd play it when I saw him in February because I though it was somewhat realistic but didn't get it. 

Yessssss, Incident is my Holy Grail song a long with NYC Serenade. Do you prefer the full band or solo piano?

It was!! I was completely blown away! 

I agree, I feel like Be True and Take 'Em would've been great on the actual album. I do think however that maybe Chain Lightning or The Man Who Got Away would've been excellent openers this tour. 

NYCS is one of my all time favourites too! I'd really love to see a solo piano version of Incident just because it's always so beautiful but I'd love a full band performance too. I'll take whatever I can get :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, rachelharms said:

It was!! I was completely blown away! 

I agree, I feel like Be True and Take 'Em would've been great on the actual album. I do think however that maybe Chain Lightning or The Man Who Got Away would've been excellent openers this tour. 

NYCS is one of my all time favourites too! I'd really love to see a solo piano version of Incident just because it's always so beautiful but I'd love a full band performance too. I'll take whatever I can get :P

For sure they would have. The Man Who Got Away is such a rocker and I was hoping it'd be played some and especially as an opener it really fits. Loose Ends would've been a nice set closer as well.

Every time I hear NYCS I'm in amazement over its brilliance. I still can't get over the fact that it was made by someone who was in his early 20s. 

I agree I'd take either! They're both so great in their own way. 

I used to be obsessed with the Barcelona solo piano version but recently the Main Point one is all I listen to. If you have a favorite version I'd love to hear it!

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

For sure they would have. The Man Who Got Away is such a rocker and I was hoping it'd be played some and especially as an opener it really fits. Loose Ends would've been a nice set closer as well.

Every time I hear NYCS I'm in amazement over its brilliance. I still can't get over the fact that it was made by someone who was in his early 20s. 

I agree I'd take either! They're both so great in their own way. 

I used to be obsessed with the Barcelona solo piano version but recently the Main Point one is all I listen to. If you have a favorite version I'd love to hear it!

 

Yeah I definitely reckon it'd would've been perfect for the stadium setting. Roulette too, actually! Fast paced, high energy. Perfect! Definitely agree with Loose Ends too. 

NYCS is one of the greatest ever, in my opinion. It's timeless. Just one of those songs I'll never get tired of listening to.. So I'm gonna listen to it now actually :lol:

That version is honestly beautiful, I hadn't listened to it before actually so thank you for that!! 

I really like this version (once I moved past the bad quality of it) 

 

Because it's just so simple yet so beautiful. Really calms me. 

This is probably one of my favourites too though. Love the guitar solo and also Bruce's voice in it: 

I have to say the recent performances of Incident have been incredible too. Watching them on periscope has brought a tear to my eye every time! Makes me regret not flying over to America even more

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Yeah I definitely reckon it'd would've been perfect for the stadium setting. Roulette too, actually! Fast paced, high energy. Perfect! Definitely agree with Loose Ends too. 

NYCS is one of the greatest ever, in my opinion. It's timeless. Just one of those songs I'll never get tired of listening to.. So I'm gonna listen to it now actually :lol:

That version is honestly beautiful, I hadn't listened to it before actually so thank you for that!! 

I really like this version (once I moved past the bad quality of it) 

 

Because it's just so simple yet so beautiful. Really calms me. 

This is probably one of my favourites too though. Love the guitar solo and also Bruce's voice in it: 

I have to say the recent performances of Incident have been incredible too. Watching them on periscope has brought a tear to my eye every time! Makes me regret not flying over to America even more

Yeah so true. NYC Serenade will never ever get old, especially since there are so many versions of it that are beyond phenomenal. The ones from '75 are incredible to hear. I hope someday they play it again like that. But I love the recent ones, the string section are a beautiful addition. Missing it live sucks, but I probably would have had an overload of witnessing too much beauty at one time.

That Red Bank version of Incident was great! Hadn't heard it before but awesome of you to share, the piano is extra good and nice vocals. It seems like there's a bunch of other good stuff from the same show. I think the other one is from Nassau which is seems like one of the most legendary Incidents. The picture is almost as good as the audio! I'll probably have to make it my background now.

Let's just hope he does another group of shows with all of those songs from the first two albums again, but this time he throws in WIESS and BTR outtakes to go with them. I mean, it could totally happen, right? Well maybe not but fingers crossed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

This is my favorite version of Incident. There is a better sounding tape than this upload out there of course.

 

Another one I've never heard! I love to keep finding these gems. I know for sure I've never heard one that's that long either. Maybe one of the longest ever?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

Another one I've never heard! I love to keep finding these gems. I know for sure I've never heard one that's that long either. Maybe one of the longest ever?

Oh you need to hear the whole show! 3/25/77, Boston Music Hall, the last show of his two-month '77 lawsuit tour aka Chicken Scratch tour. It's one of his best ever. He's...

lemme find Brucebase's description (it has the best versions of some songs - Don't Look Back, Incident, and one of the very best Backstreets, ever) Also Night, Higher And Higher, etc., etc.

1977-03-25 - MUSIC HALL, BOSTON, MA

NIGHT / DON'T LOOK BACK / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET / THUNDER ROAD / MONA - SHE'S THE ONE / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT (with The Miami Horns) / ACTION IN THE STREETS (with The Miami Horns) / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / BACKSTREETS / JUNGLELAND / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) (with The Miami Horns) / BORN TO RUN / QUARTER TO THREE (with The Miami Horns) / LITTLE LATIN LUPE LU (with The Miami Horns) / YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN (with The Miami Horns) / (YOUR LOVE KEEPS LIFTING ME) HIGHER AND HIGHER (with The Miami Horns)

Final night of the tour, and a contender for one of the best ever with Bruce in inspired form. Last ever "Action In The Streets" (apart from a 2011 club performance) and last "Don't Look Back" for a long time (1999). Final E Street Band version of "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher" until 2009. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes the Miami Horns playing a snippet of "Auld Lang Syne" in the band introductions and a snippet of "Theme From Shaft" in the midsection. "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher" includes a brief snippet of "I Don't Want To Go Home". A fan recalls "I saw the last three shows and they were definitely as good as it gets. We had no idea that Bruce was close to settling his legal problems, but it was clear that these were special. I remember March 24 as being the hottest show but that may just be that it was the first one that featured "It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City" and "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher", both showstoppers."

Audience tape released on CDs 'Forced To Confess' (Great Dane), 'Higher And Higher' (Doberman), 'Stranded In The Park' (RCR), 'From The Dark Heart Of A Dream' (Godfather) and JEMS' 'Are You Ready For The Final Moment'. The latter is the best quality, transferred from Steve Hopkins' master tapes. This transfer can also be found on CD 'Are You Ready For The Final Moments?' (Godfather).

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Oh you need to hear the whole show! 3/25/77, Boston Music Hall, the last show of his two-month '77 lawsuit tour aka Chicken Scratch tour. It's one of his best ever. He's...

lemme find Brucebase's description (it has the best versions of some songs - Don't Look Back, Incident, and one of the very best Backstreets, ever) Also Night, etc etc.

1977-03-25 - MUSIC HALL, BOSTON, MA

NIGHT / DON'T LOOK BACK / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET / THUNDER ROAD / MONA - SHE'S THE ONE / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT (with The Miami Horns) / ACTION IN THE STREETS (with The Miami Horns) / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / BACKSTREETS / JUNGLELAND / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) (with The Miami Horns) / BORN TO RUN / QUARTER TO THREE (with The Miami Horns) / LITTLE LATIN LUPE LU (with The Miami Horns) / YOU CAN'T SIT DOWN (with The Miami Horns) / (YOUR LOVE KEEPS LIFTING ME) HIGHER AND HIGHER (with The Miami Horns)

Final night of the tour, and a contender for one of the best ever with Bruce in inspired form. Last ever "Action In The Streets" (apart from a 2011 club performance) and last "Don't Look Back" for a long time (1999). Final E Street Band version of "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher" until 2009. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes the Miami Horns playing a snippet of "Auld Lang Syne" in the band introductions and a snippet of "Theme From Shaft" in the midsection. "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher" includes a brief snippet of "I Don't Want To Go Home". A fan recalls "I saw the last three shows and they were definitely as good as it gets. We had no idea that Bruce was close to settling his legal problems, but it was clear that these were special. I remember March 24 as being the hottest show but that may just be that it was the first one that featured "It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City" and "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher", both showstoppers."

Audience tape released on CDs 'Forced To Confess' (Great Dane), 'Higher And Higher' (Doberman), 'Stranded In The Park' (RCR), 'From The Dark Heart Of A Dream' (Godfather) and JEMS' 'Are You Ready For The Final Moment'. The latter is the best quality, transferred from Steve Hopkins' master tapes. This transfer can also be found on CD 'Are You Ready For The Final Moments?' (Godfather).

 

That's awesome! I checked and actually have that Backstreets and Action in the Streets. Undoubtedly one of the best Backstreets, and another very long one. Decent sound quality but I really wish that we had a remastered version of it!

I was unaware of Don't Look Back being played there, or live at all given it's outtake status but just listened and it's very good indeed. 

And also, if there was ever a time for him to play for 4 hours I'd think that it'd be then, in his prime at a younger age when he had that rage inside him from that lawsuit and all. I'm glad it's happening now in my lifetime though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

Yeah so true. NYC Serenade will never ever get old, especially since there are so many versions of it that are beyond phenomenal. The ones from '75 are incredible to hear. I hope someday they play it again like that. But I love the recent ones, the string section are a beautiful addition. Missing it live sucks, but I probably would have had an overload of witnessing too much beauty at one time.

That Red Bank version of Incident was great! Hadn't heard it before but awesome of you to share, the piano is extra good and nice vocals. It seems like there's a bunch of other good stuff from the same show. I think the other one is from Nassau which is seems like one of the most legendary Incidents. The picture is almost as good as the audio! I'll probably have to make it my background now.

Let's just hope he does another group of shows with all of those songs from the first two albums again, but this time he throws in WIESS and BTR outtakes to go with them. I mean, it could totally happen, right? Well maybe not but fingers crossed!

Yeah I agree, I'm always coming across new versions of New York City Serenade that I love. But again, like Incident, the ones from recent shows with the strings have been phenomenal! I think I might have an overload too. Especially if I ever saw Incident, NYCS and Jungleland in the same show. I'd flood the place with tears :mellow:

I'm glad you liked the one from Red Bank!!! There's a few others on YouTube from that show that are great too, like the Kitty's Back you posted! Yeah I've hard that one I think. I spend a lot of time listening to different ones but I always get drawn back to the same few! That picture is great, I think I've seen a framed version of it somewhere actually! 

I'd buy a ticket to every show, no matter where is was. Those outtakes would be my dream!! Especially the Born To Run ones - I listen to them just as much as the album itself. Maybe if that's happening he could stretch to Darkness and play Preacher's Daughter since I love it so dearly.... I guess we'll just have to show a little faith ^_^

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Yeah I agree, I'm always coming across new versions of New York City Serenade that I love. But again, like Incident, the ones from recent shows with the strings have been phenomenal! I think I might have an overload too. Especially if I ever saw Incident, NYCS and Jungleland in the same show. I'd flood the place with tears :mellow:

I'm glad you liked the one from Red Bank!!! There's a few others on YouTube from that show that are great too, like the Kitty's Back you posted! Yeah I've hard that one I think. I spend a lot of time listening to different ones but I always get drawn back to the same few! That picture is great, I think I've seen a framed version of it somewhere actually! 

I'd buy a ticket to every show, no matter where is was. Those outtakes would be my dream!! Especially the Born To Run ones - I listen to them just as much as the album itself. Maybe if that's happening he could stretch to Darkness and play Preacher's Daughter since I love it so dearly.... I guess we'll just have to show a little faith ^_^

Yeah exactly! Not only NYCS, Incident, and Jungleland/Backstreets, but also Lost in the Flood, Does this Bus Stop, and Kitty's Back were the others being played at just a lot of those final shows. I can't believe I missed that. To get any of those in a normal night would be pretty nice to get, but all is just amazing. No shame in a tearing up/becoming hysterical! Just the thought of it almost brings me to it.

But oh yeah the Red Bank stuff was awesome. Great show for sure. I'm so thankful to have YouTube to be able to listen to this stuff so easily. Now I want to frame that picture too!

Would you even go to one of the shows if it was a concert in North Korea? Joking, but yeah I'd do just about anything to experience a show like that! Maybe even make the trip to the great leader's land. Those BTR outtakes like Lover's in the Cold, So Young and In Love, etc. easily could've been radio hits, they're so catchy. I think he played So Young and In Love at the Main Point show which sounded great live too. If you haven't heard that you'd probably like it. He could throw in Preacher's Daughter and go ahead and play a solo piano If I Was The Priest too. I just gave it a listen and forget how great it was. I wonder why it didn't get on Darkness or The Promise. It sounds kind of Nebraska-esque and the vocals really come through strong even though the quality isn't the greatest.

19 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I guess we'll just have to show a little faith ^_^

There's magic in the night so I guess so! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

Yeah exactly! Not only NYCS, Incident, and Jungleland/Backstreets, but also Lost in the Flood, Does this Bus Stop, and Kitty's Back were the others being played at just a lot of those final shows. I can't believe I missed that. To get any of those in a normal night would be pretty nice to get, but all is just amazing. No shame in a tearing up/becoming hysterical! Just the thought of it almost brings me to it.

But oh yeah the Red Bank stuff was awesome. Great show for sure. I'm so thankful to have YouTube to be able to listen to this stuff so easily. Now I want to frame that picture too!

Would you even go to one of the shows if it was a concert in North Korea? Joking, but yeah I'd do just about anything to experience a show like that! Maybe even make the trip to the great leader's land. Those BTR outtakes like Lover's in the Cold, So Young and In Love, etc. easily could've been radio hits, they're so catchy. I think he played So Young and In Love at the Main Point show which sounded great live too. If you haven't heard that you'd probably like it. He could throw in Preacher's Daughter and go ahead and play a solo piano If I Was The Priest too. I just gave it a listen and forget how great it was. I wonder why it didn't get on Darkness or The Promise. It sounds kind of Nebraska-esque and the vocals really come through strong even though the quality isn't the greatest.

There's magic in the night so I guess so! 

Yeah they were my dream shows, especially since they contained a lot of early stuff. I'd give anything to see those first two albums in their entirety! 

I love YouTube, but I do wish I had a proper official download of a lot of stuff. I feel like Tracks could've featured so much more.. But I'm greedy. 

Haha! I'd debate it! I'm even slightly regretting not venturing to Australia even though it's the other side of the world... I do like So Young and In Love but I haven't actually listened to any live versions of it yet, so I'll have a listen now!! Lover's in the Cold is one of my favourites, I just wish it was better quality! I do agree that it could've easily made it onto the album and on the radio. If I Was The Priest is insanely good, vocally and lyrically. I often wonder why a lot of his songs didn't make it onto the released album (Take 'em!!!!) :huh: If I Was The Priest definitely has the same kind of haunting sound that features on Nebraska though, I agree. I feel like I need to listen to Nebraska now! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...