Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

Such a memory.  

This was an emotional show for me, for personal reasons, and when he hushed the entire arena with this brand new gem it was simply absolute magic.  I know it probably sounds pretty trite, but you could tell from the first few lines that this was a monster of a song - and so it proved.

• Like 6

On 9/23/2016 at 4:35 AM, rachelharms said:

Yeah they were my dream shows, especially since they contained a lot of early stuff. I'd give anything to see those first two albums in their entirety! 

I love YouTube, but I do wish I had a proper official download of a lot of stuff. I feel like Tracks could've featured so much more.. But I'm greedy. 

Haha! I'd debate it! I'm even slightly regretting not venturing to Australia even though it's the other side of the world... I do like So Young and In Love but I haven't actually listened to any live versions of it yet, so I'll have a listen now!! Lover's in the Cold is one of my favourites, I just wish it was better quality! I do agree that it could've easily made it onto the album and on the radio. If I Was The Priest is insanely good, vocally and lyrically. I often wonder why a lot of his songs didn't make it onto the released album (Take 'em!!!!) :huh: If I Was The Priest definitely has the same kind of haunting sound that features on Nebraska though, I agree. I feel like I need to listen to Nebraska now! 

I know same here! I really, really hope shows like that are played again or missing a show this last month will be THAT much worse. That or the '73 full albums would be perfectly fine (although i'm not as crazy about The Angel or MQoA).

No doubt it could have been better. But I'm glad they eventually released outtakes from Darkness and The River that probably should've been in. But still didn't include much stuff from the early years that remains uncirculating. Though I think I recall reading something from one of the great Greasy Lake members that they couldn't release some things for legality reasons.

If you could go to Australia then definitely do it! Unless it means losing an arm or leg in the process. I just happened to listen to Lover's in the Cold and was thinking the same, not to mean i'm not thankful we have it at all though. It's so catchy that it's a song that I sometimes use as an introductory song to people who aren't the biggest fans. Absolutely agree 110% about If I Was The Priest, love the vocals and lyrics. Once again it amazes me that he could have written that song at such a young age, it's so deep and has so many biblical references. And it really shows the strong story telling ability that Nebraska is loaded with. 

Haha yeah and Take 'Em! Definitely another I hoped would get played live this tour. I think it's been played live a few years ago so that's still good to have. I still think his backlog of songs/outtakes that didn't make official studio albums is deeper than a lot of other musician's main stuff! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

I know same here! I really, really hope shows like that are played again or missing a show this last month will be THAT much worse. That or the '73 full albums would be perfectly fine (although i'm not as crazy about The Angel or MQoA).

No doubt it could have been better. But I'm glad they eventually released outtakes from Darkness and The River that probably should've been in. But still didn't include much stuff from the early years that remains uncirculating. Though I think I recall reading something from one of the great Greasy Lake members that they couldn't release some things for legality reasons.

If you could go to Australia then definitely do it! Unless it means losing an arm or leg in the process. I just happened to listen to Lover's in the Cold and was thinking the same, not to mean i'm not thankful we have it at all though. It's so catchy that it's a song that I sometimes use as an introductory song to people who aren't the biggest fans. Absolutely agree 110% about If I Was The Priest, love the vocals and lyrics. Once again it amazes me that he could have written that song at such a young age, it's so deep and has so many biblical references. And it really shows the strong story telling ability that Nebraska is loaded with. 

Haha yeah and Take 'Em! Definitely another I hoped would get played live this tour. I think it's been played live a few years ago so that's still good to have. I still think his backlog of songs/outtakes that didn't make official studio albums is deeper than a lot of other musician's main stuff! 

I'm sure they will at some point. But obviously apart from the shows in February, Bruce will most likely do a solo tour next time. I'm the same with those two songs, but live I'm sure would be fantastic. I'd never take anything for granted! 

Hahaha! Well I'd really love to go to a date in Australia. Seems slightly unrealistic though! Yeah any official release I'm happy about. I thought maybe there'd be another outtakes release featuring earlier stuff but The River obviously took main priority. I wasn't aware of legality reasons for stuff being unreleased actually, I might have to look into it! I guess it's a pretty good reason though... 

Lovers In The Cold is definitely a more new fan friendly song. I'd say Lonely Night in the Park would be too. Love both of them! Yes, to this day Bruce's songwriting skills amaze me. Some days his lyrics hit me more than others and I'm just left speechless. 

Not sure but I think Take 'Em was played at Hyde Park? It's one of my favourite songs but the rarity of it makes it even more special. I agree! That was my exact thought the first time I scoured YouTube for unreleased songs! I was amazed at what I found! I reckon another album could've easily been made... 

8 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I'm sure they will at some point. But obviously apart from the shows in February, Bruce will most likely do a solo tour next time. I'm the same with those two songs, but live I'm sure would be fantastic. I'd never take anything for granted! 

Hahaha! Well I'd really love to go to a date in Australia. Seems slightly unrealistic though! Yeah any official release I'm happy about. I thought maybe there'd be another outtakes release featuring earlier stuff but The River obviously took main priority. I wasn't aware of legality reasons for stuff being unreleased actually, I might have to look into it! I guess it's a pretty good reason though... 

Lovers In The Cold is definitely a more new fan friendly song. I'd say Lonely Night in the Park would be too. Love both of them! Yes, to this day Bruce's songwriting skills amaze me. Some days his lyrics hit me more than others and I'm just left speechless. 

Not sure but I think Take 'Em was played at Hyde Park? It's one of my favourite songs but the rarity of it makes it even more special. I agree! That was my exact thought the first time I scoured YouTube for unreleased songs! I was amazed at what I found! I reckon another album could've easily been made... 

Yeah definitely, I was thinking the same thing. The next album will be solo stuff so I agree, that's what he'll tour with. I have 'high hopes' it'll be like the Devil's and Dust tour since that was so great and also since I missed that one way back then. Good point, I'll give those live ones a listen again. They're rare so that alone makes them desirable to see and for sure no one can take anything for granted!

That'd be amazing! Don't worry if you go to Australia for a Springsteen show you'd be on a date with 10,000+ of your friends for the night! The River stuff was great, I think we'll probably see the Born in the USA outtakes and that related stuff as the next big release. I hope we get the early stuff at some point though. I'm pretty sure it was a legal reason, but may be remembering it wrong. I hope not because we NEED to hear that stuff.

Oops I actually meant to type Lonely Night in the Park as a introductory song that I use, but really they both are so catchy! When you're in a particular mood or feeling a certain way the lyrics can for sure hit you harder than others. The same happens to me, especially the emotional songs, like Backstreets, the lyrics will hit me harder than others. It's crazy because I've heard it so so many times and even though i see it coming it still have that huge effect on me.

Yeah I think so! The Hyde Park version was the one I remember seeing. I try not to overuse the word, but really it's mind blowing of all his stuff that remains out there that most people don't even exist. Without YouTube I probably wouldn't know about them either. One of my particular favs that still hasn't been put out officially is Waiting on the End of the World. So good! The lyrics are tough to understand at times though haha. If you haven't heard it you might like it!

13 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

Yeah definitely, I was thinking the same thing. The next album will be solo stuff so I agree, that's what he'll tour with. I have 'high hopes' it'll be like the Devil's and Dust tour since that was so great and also since I missed that one way back then. Good point, I'll give those live ones a listen again. They're rare so that alone makes them desirable to see and for sure no one can take anything for granted!

That'd be amazing! Don't worry if you go to Australia for a Springsteen show you'd be on a date with 10,000+ of your friends for the night! The River stuff was great, I think we'll probably see the Born in the USA outtakes and that related stuff as the next big release. I hope we get the early stuff at some point though. I'm pretty sure it was a legal reason, but may be remembering it wrong. I hope not because we NEED to hear that stuff.

Oops I actually meant to type Lonely Night in the Park as a introductory song that I use, but really they both are so catchy! When you're in a particular mood or feeling a certain way the lyrics can for sure hit you harder than others. The same happens to me, especially the emotional songs, like Backstreets, the lyrics will hit me harder than others. It's crazy because I've heard it so so many times and even though i see it coming it still have that huge effect on me.

Yeah I think so! The Hyde Park version was the one I remember seeing. I try not to overuse the word, but really it's mind blowing of all his stuff that remains out there that most people don't even exist. Without YouTube I probably wouldn't know about them either. One of my particular favs that still hasn't been put out officially is Waiting on the End of the World. So good! The lyrics are tough to understand at times though haha. If you haven't heard it you might like it!

Haha! That tour would've been a great one to see. I'm glad I saw this 'River' tour though because I love the stripped back band. Although I would've loved the strings too. 

It sounds like a once in a lifetime trip. I'm gonna see how it goes and hopefully, dreams will come true ^_^ I actually wouldn't mind some BITUSA outtakes. Any outtakes I'm happy with really. Haha, I like your emphasis on need! It's true, we need to hear it! 

Ooooh right! Yeah, definitely both. I can cope with the bad quality on those ones just because I love them both so much. Yeah Backstreets is one of them! Racing In The Street hits hard sometimes when I really listen to it. Sometimes I have to skip Jungleland just because I know I'll get too emotional haha! 

Yes, I know, I know! It stresses me. Even with official releases too. The vast difference of Greetings and BITUSA is just crazy. I wish more people heard his other stuff. But I get that it's not exactly mainstream/easy listening. And then there's all the outtakes too on top of that! Not sure where a lot of us would be without YouTube. Or YouTube to MP3 conversion :P I'm sure I've heard that one before and liked it, I'll give it another listen though!! I've always liked 'Then She Kissed Me' too. God I want another outtakes album!!! 

• Like 1