Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

On 9/26/2016 at 4:39 PM, rachelharms said:

Haha! That tour would've been a great one to see. I'm glad I saw this 'River' tour though because I love the stripped back band. Although I would've loved the strings too. 

It sounds like a once in a lifetime trip. I'm gonna see how it goes and hopefully, dreams will come true ^_^ I actually wouldn't mind some BITUSA outtakes. Any outtakes I'm happy with really. Haha, I like your emphasis on need! It's true, we need to hear it! 

Ooooh right! Yeah, definitely both. I can cope with the bad quality on those ones just because I love them both so much. Yeah Backstreets is one of them! Racing In The Street hits hard sometimes when I really listen to it. Sometimes I have to skip Jungleland just because I know I'll get too emotional haha! 

Yes, I know, I know! It stresses me. Even with official releases too. The vast difference of Greetings and BITUSA is just crazy. I wish more people heard his other stuff. But I get that it's not exactly mainstream/easy listening. And then there's all the outtakes too on top of that! Not sure where a lot of us would be without YouTube. Or YouTube to MP3 conversion :P I'm sure I've heard that one before and liked it, I'll give it another listen though!! I've always liked 'Then She Kissed Me' too. God I want another outtakes album!!! 

I know from everything I've seen from it is amazing! Like that Valentine's Day version you posted. He brought out a ton of different songs for it I would've loved to have heard. Of course the full band stuff is beloved but I like his solo stuff close to as much. I agree, the strings are great, they should bring the strings around everywhere and perform more songs with them! 

The set lists from Australia/Auckland in 2014 were pretty spectacular. I have no doubt you'd have a time to remember for a lifetime. Haha yes! Really though I should've made the NEED even bigger because it absolutely must be heard.

Aw yeah Racing and Jungleland are 2 other emotional ones. Hahaha you mean it's so great and emotional you have to resist it all together? That's a whole different level! Which part of Jungleland is it you get emotional? For me, it's that sax solo that moves me every time. They're all great but it's the Live in NYC 2000 one that is my all time favorite.

Yeah I couldn't agree more! People are so familiar with Born in the USA that it's what they think the rest of his music is like. I was like that for a little while. Really though every album is so different and incredible in their own ways. Even more people would have a different respect for his writing if they heard it. That YouTube converter was one of my most visited sites when I found it at first haha. I have so much from it. You and me both! I could listen through outtakes all day. One day I hope he releases the album from the sessions in the 1990s that had Waiting on the End of the World.

14 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

I know from everything I've seen from it is amazing! Like that Valentine's Day version you posted. He brought out a ton of different songs for it I would've loved to have heard. Of course the full band stuff is beloved but I like his solo stuff close to as much. I agree, the strings are great, they should bring the strings around everywhere and perform more songs with them! 

The set lists from Australia/Auckland in 2014 were pretty spectacular. I have no doubt you'd have a time to remember for a lifetime. Haha yes! Really though I should've made the NEED even bigger because it absolutely must be heard.

Aw yeah Racing and Jungleland are 2 other emotional ones. Hahaha you mean it's so great and emotional you have to resist it all together? That's a whole different level! Which part of Jungleland is it you get emotional? For me, it's that sax solo that moves me every time. They're all great but it's the Live in NYC 2000 one that is my all time favorite.

Yeah I couldn't agree more! People are so familiar with Born in the USA that it's what they think the rest of his music is like. I was like that for a little while. Really though every album is so different and incredible in their own ways. Even more people would have a different respect for his writing if they heard it. That YouTube converter was one of my most visited sites when I found it at first haha. I have so much from it. You and me both! I could listen through outtakes all day. One day I hope he releases the album from the sessions in the 1990s that had Waiting on the End of the World.

It did seem like a very unique tour. That live Valentine's Day is one of my favourite live versions of his. I feel like I overuse the phrase 'magical' but that tour seemed it. Yeah, I like his solo stuff. It's paid off in the past and I'm excited for the new album but always a little bit apprehensive considering its deemed as being a little bit different. 

I could never listen to Jungleland/Racing in a public place in fear I'll break down!! Haha! It's incredible how easily they evoke emotion. For me also, the sax solo. But also when 'down in Jungleland' and 'tonight in Jungleland' is sung. It echoes through my body and it's like my soul is responding to it.. The end also gets me quite emotional. Ok, so basically the whole 9 and a half minutes :P seeing it live was life changing - and that's an understatement. It's always so emotional live. It's hard to pick a favourite! 

BITUSA, due to its success is of course going to be something that people judge Bruce on. I was aware of it from a young age but when I really delved into the music of Bruce, it was Born To Run that I went to first and never looked back! His early writing definitely deserves a lot more respect. Haha, me too! I have a playlist of my favourite outtakes that I listen to a lot. Yeah, I feel like the 90's was an underrated period. We'll have to wait and see! The book and accompanying album has only just been released and I'm already wanting more!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

It is a soundboard (Charleston August 4, 1978).

I have both Oh Boy sets - the one with the exclamation mark at the end on Scorpio, and the complete show on E Street Records (and before this, Darkness On The Edge of Charleston on vinyl). Great, great show.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rachelharms said:

It did seem like a very unique tour. That live Valentine's Day is one of my favourite live versions of his. I feel like I overuse the phrase 'magical' but that tour seemed it. Yeah, I like his solo stuff. It's paid off in the past and I'm excited for the new album but always a little bit apprehensive considering its deemed as being a little bit different. 

I could never listen to Jungleland/Racing in a public place in fear I'll break down!! Haha! It's incredible how easily they evoke emotion. For me also, the sax solo. But also when 'down in Jungleland' and 'tonight in Jungleland' is sung. It echoes through my body and it's like my soul is responding to it.. The end also gets me quite emotional. Ok, so basically the whole 9 and a half minutes :P seeing it live was life changing - and that's an understatement. It's always so emotional live. It's hard to pick a favourite! 

BITUSA, due to its success is of course going to be something that people judge Bruce on. I was aware of it from a young age but when I really delved into the music of Bruce, it was Born To Run that I went to first and never looked back! His early writing definitely deserves a lot more respect. Haha, me too! I have a playlist of my favourite outtakes that I listen to a lot. Yeah, I feel like the 90's was an underrated period. We'll have to wait and see! The book and accompanying album has only just been released and I'm already wanting more!

I know I love that songs like Valentine's Day that don't typically get a lot of plays did then. The Devils and Dust album is pretty low on my list though, but the tour really brought it back up. I try to refrain from phrases like that too but no matter what, I end up using it a ton because it always fits with him. I hope it comes sooner than later!

Haha jeez that's wild! Backstreets occasionally does that to me but not that bad. That's pretty amazing though that the music is so powerful! I've never heard anyone else say anything even remotely similar about someone else's music. I really love that last verse too! I've probably said it before but the "And the poets down here don't write nothing at all, They just stand back and let it all be". It's just the greatest. I'm so envious of you to have experienced it live. He really started adding that and Backstreets to a ton of those setlists in the European and US Stadium shows. Hopefully one day!

Same, Born to Run was it for me that launched my fandom as a diehard. Yeah the early writing, especially on WIESS and story telling is beyond incredible. Between outtakes and different live performances are endless in my iTunes. 90s was definitely underrated. It gets overlooked because of how spectacular the previous decades were. I haven't even started reading it yet because I know when I do I'm going to lock myself inside and probably do nothing for however long it takes to finish! No matter what I have a feeling we'll always be wanting more. 

Live 75-85, beginning to end- on vinyl. Hadn't opened the box for too long!

I'd forgotten how important this was to me waaaayyyy-baaack then, when my only live recordings were hideously expensive, inferior sounding boots.

I feel young again!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

I know I love that songs like Valentine's Day that don't typically get a lot of plays did then. The Devils and Dust album is pretty low on my list though, but the tour really brought it back up. I try to refrain from phrases like that too but no matter what, I end up using it a ton because it always fits with him. I hope it comes sooner than later!

Haha jeez that's wild! Backstreets occasionally does that to me but not that bad. That's pretty amazing though that the music is so powerful! I've never heard anyone else say anything even remotely similar about someone else's music. I really love that last verse too! I've probably said it before but the "And the poets down here don't write nothing at all, They just stand back and let it all be". It's just the greatest. I'm so envious of you to have experienced it live. He really started adding that and Backstreets to a ton of those setlists in the European and US Stadium shows. Hopefully one day!

Same, Born to Run was it for me that launched my fandom as a diehard. Yeah the early writing, especially on WIESS and story telling is beyond incredible. Between outtakes and different live performances are endless in my iTunes. 90s was definitely underrated. It gets overlooked because of how spectacular the previous decades were. I haven't even started reading it yet because I know when I do I'm going to lock myself inside and probably do nothing for however long it takes to finish! No matter what I have a feeling we'll always be wanting more. 

Yes D&D tour was definitely a highlight of that period. Well the album is supposedly ready to be released so it's just a waiting game. Whatever it consists of, I'm just happy there's some new material waiting in the wings! 

Backstreets can have the same effect too! Sometimes it's just hearing the piano.. No, there isn't another artist/musician who has the same effect, for me, personally. That part gets me! I just love that his music really makes you feel something. It's not just something you listen to, it's something you feel. Jungleland was the one song I hoped and prayed I'd see live and my faith was rewarded! I'd have loved to have seen Clarence performing his sax solo though. Jake does do it justice however, he deserves a lot of respect. I'm sure you'll get it one day! I think for once in my life, I was just lucky! 

I've almost finished the book! One thing I'll say is that it made me appreciate each individual album even more than I did already. I think you'll love it. It has it's emotional parts so you may well want to lock yourself in a room :lol: I'm excited to finish it, and for everyone else to finish it because I'm dying to discuss it. 

I think you're right on that one! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Yes D&D tour was definitely a highlight of that period. Well the album is supposedly ready to be released so it's just a waiting game. Whatever it consists of, I'm just happy there's some new material waiting in the wings! 

Backstreets can have the same effect too! Sometimes it's just hearing the piano.. No, there isn't another artist/musician who has the same effect, for me, personally. That part gets me! I just love that his music really makes you feel something. It's not just something you listen to, it's something you feel. Jungleland was the one song I hoped and prayed I'd see live and my faith was rewarded! I'd have loved to have seen Clarence performing his sax solo though. Jake does do it justice however, he deserves a lot of respect. I'm sure you'll get it one day! I think for once in my life, I was just lucky! 

I've almost finished the book! One thing I'll say is that it made me appreciate each individual album even more than I did already. I think you'll love it. It has it's emotional parts so you may well want to lock yourself in a room :lol: I'm excited to finish it, and for everyone else to finish it because I'm dying to discuss it. 

I think you're right on that one! 

No doubt, I could always use another D&D official archive release too!

That's such a great way to describe it, something you can feel as opposed to hearing is spot on. I would have loved to see Clarence do anything really but that Jungleland solo would be at the top of the list. Such a legendary song and the song that defines him to me. Haha thank you, I hope so too! I was very impressed with Jake's work all tour. He is the only person that could step into that role after him Clarence passing away and he's really done a spectacular job. 

Thanks for the head's up haha! Now I'm anticipating it that much more, I also really want to read what it is that Bruce had been working on for like 7 years or whatever it was. From what I've heard it seems like certain parts of it must have been tough to write for him as it is so personal. Before it was like Bruce was a very private person but he's really inviting everyone to see into his world first hand. I'm sure there'll be endless discussions on here and other places too. The Sirius radio channel has been talking about it a lot too. The audio book is now intriguing too since Bruce is supposed to be the one reading it. How many hours do you think the entire thing takes to finish?