Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

4 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Yes D&D tour was definitely a highlight of that period. Well the album is supposedly ready to be released so it's just a waiting game. Whatever it consists of, I'm just happy there's some new material waiting in the wings! 

Backstreets can have the same effect too! Sometimes it's just hearing the piano.. No, there isn't another artist/musician who has the same effect, for me, personally. That part gets me! I just love that his music really makes you feel something. It's not just something you listen to, it's something you feel. Jungleland was the one song I hoped and prayed I'd see live and my faith was rewarded! I'd have loved to have seen Clarence performing his sax solo though. Jake does do it justice however, he deserves a lot of respect. I'm sure you'll get it one day! I think for once in my life, I was just lucky! 

I've almost finished the book! One thing I'll say is that it made me appreciate each individual album even more than I did already. I think you'll love it. It has it's emotional parts so you may well want to lock yourself in a room :lol: I'm excited to finish it, and for everyone else to finish it because I'm dying to discuss it. 

I think you're right on that one! 

No doubt, I could always use another D&D official archive release too!

That's such a great way to describe it, something you can feel as opposed to hearing is spot on. I would have loved to see Clarence do anything really but that Jungleland solo would be at the top of the list. Such a legendary song and the song that defines him to me. Haha thank you, I hope so too! I was very impressed with Jake's work all tour. He is the only person that could step into that role after him Clarence passing away and he's really done a spectacular job. 

Thanks for the head's up haha! Now I'm anticipating it that much more, I also really want to read what it is that Bruce had been working on for like 7 years or whatever it was. From what I've heard it seems like certain parts of it must have been tough to write for him as it is so personal. Before it was like Bruce was a very private person but he's really inviting everyone to see into his world first hand. I'm sure there'll be endless discussions on here and other places too. The Sirius radio channel has been talking about it a lot too. The audio book is now intriguing too since Bruce is supposed to be the one reading it. How many hours do you think the entire thing takes to finish?

23 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

No doubt, I could always use another D&D official archive release too!

That's such a great way to describe it, something you can feel as opposed to hearing is spot on. I would have loved to see Clarence do anything really but that Jungleland solo would be at the top of the list. Such a legendary song and the song that defines him to me. Haha thank you, I hope so too! I was very impressed with Jake's work all tour. He is the only person that could step into that role after him Clarence passing away and he's really done a spectacular job. 

Thanks for the head's up haha! Now I'm anticipating it that much more, I also really want to read what it is that Bruce had been working on for like 7 years or whatever it was. From what I've heard it seems like certain parts of it must have been tough to write for him as it is so personal. Before it was like Bruce was a very private person but he's really inviting everyone to see into his world first hand. I'm sure there'll be endless discussions on here and other places too. The Sirius radio channel has been talking about it a lot too. The audio book is now intriguing too since Bruce is supposed to be the one reading it. How many hours do you think the entire thing takes to finish?

I think that's the only way to describe it! Yeah me too, I loved his stage presence and personality. Even if he wasn't part of the ESB I'd still go and see him based on it. I agree, I don't think it would've been right for someone else to have the job. It makes it a lot more special having Jake there. It seems like he appreciates it a lot too and plus, only going to get better with age. 

I think it's a journey and once you read it you'll understand what I mean. It's more in depth than I could've imagined, but it's definitely a good thing. I feel like I understand a lot more now and it's made me very reflective, which I guess is a good thing. I don't know how you haven't given in and read it yet!! I'd love it if Bruce was doing the audio book because I love the way he talks and it'll make it all the more personal. I've been reading it sporadically since Tuesday, I'm almost done but I haven't read much today. I'm trying to savour the last bit for a day where I can be alone with my thoughts haha! I have no idea! I think it depends.. It has a lot of in depth content which might make it slower to get through. Entirely worth it though ^_^

“It wasn't the cold river bottom I felt rushing over me
It wasn't the bitterness of a dream that didn't come true
It wasn't the wind in the grey fields I felt rushing through my arms
No no baby it was you.”

Valentine’s Day – album version  (and what an album; just incredibly powerful, still)

• Like 4

Backstreets.

On my latest (replacement) copy of the gold issued Born To Run I impulsively bought recently to my regret (it was cheap, I regretted it the next day), complete in original sealed long Master Sound packaging arrived dented, and with it turning out to being the first pressing, as in the tracks are not indexed right, all starting on the previous track, with Thunder Road missing its opening notes, like the first of two versions I had of the gold disc version.

On the upside this needless purchase of the 4th CD copy of Born To Run of mine (30th, Japanese '90s one, and remaster)....on the upside... (upside? there is none!)

Backstreets is a good song.... (shrugs)

• Like 4

On 9/30/2016 at 7:19 PM, rachelharms said:

I think that's the only way to describe it! Yeah me too, I loved his stage presence and personality. Even if he wasn't part of the ESB I'd still go and see him based on it. I agree, I don't think it would've been right for someone else to have the job. It makes it a lot more special having Jake there. It seems like he appreciates it a lot too and plus, only going to get better with age. 

I think it's a journey and once you read it you'll understand what I mean. It's more in depth than I could've imagined, but it's definitely a good thing. I feel like I understand a lot more now and it's made me very reflective, which I guess is a good thing. I don't know how you haven't given in and read it yet!! I'd love it if Bruce was doing the audio book because I love the way he talks and it'll make it all the more personal. I've been reading it sporadically since Tuesday, I'm almost done but I haven't read much today. I'm trying to savour the last bit for a day where I can be alone with my thoughts haha! I have no idea! I think it depends.. It has a lot of in depth content which might make it slower to get through. Entirely worth it though ^_^

No doubt, he had great stage presence and hearing him play all of those different instruments was something I had never heard before either. Yeah that's the truth! I think it was in one of the recent interviews that he did to promote his book that he said how lucky he was that Jake was there for him. You're definitely right about that! Jake made a solo album as well if I remember right.

I've been anticipating it for a long time now so I don't know how I haven't read it either! But really after reading that post I'm getting it first thing the stores open tomorrow. What you said about savoring it is exactly how I feel. So much that I've been putting off getting it all togeter haha. Yeah that is definitely a good thing though, understanding all of that stuff must add a whole lot to the music now. When reading sometimes it can be hard to understand the writer's tone so if he reads it then that would be so great. When you're done I expect to read a 5 page book report on it! Lol. Really though it's so great to see you and everyone else are liking it so much.

@soulcrusader78 Lmao! I've also come across that ridiculous YouTube video of The River. It was the strangest thing!

10 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Backstreets.

On my latest (replacement) copy of the gold issued Born To Run I impulsively bought recently to my regret (it was cheap, I regretted it the next day), complete in original sealed long Master Sound packaging arrived dented, and with it turning out to being the first pressing, as in the tracks are not indexed right, all starting on the previous track, with Thunder Road missing its opening notes, like the first of two versions I had of the gold disc version.

On the upside this needless purchase of the 4th CD copy of Born To Run of mine (30th, Japanese '90s one, and remaster)....on the upside... (upside? there is none!)

Backstreets is a good song.... (shrugs)

What is the gold issued BTR? I had no idea the first pressing of the album had those flaws. I have the album that has the misspelled name 'John Landau' with the sticker so I think it's a first pressing too, but if it is lacking some notes in the Thunder Road intro I never noticed.

8 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

@soulcrusader78 Lmao! I've also come across that ridiculous YouTube video of The River. It was the strangest thing!

What is the gold issued BTR? I had no idea the first pressing of the album had those flaws. I have the album that has the misspelled name 'John Landau' with the sticker so I think it's a first pressing too, but if it is lacking some notes in the Thunder Road intro I never noticed.

Oh no not the vinyl - I have that - this is when they made the Master Sound CD, they screwed up the initial pressing. It's really pointless now with the 30th anniversary version and the newest remaster.

Yeah that video that person made for The River is just terrible! Atrocious might be a better word!

• Like 1