Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

20 hours ago, Lampi said:

Yes, the same can not be said for the River tour, sadly. I remember reading once there were only 4 known soundboard recordings from the entire River tour-compare that to the Darkness tour, with 5 radio broadcasts, plenty of soundboard recordings (not all the complete show, though), and a lot of very good audience recordings (especially for that era). I would say in general the River tour audience recordings maybe suffer from the larger venues not designed to listen to music, where many shows on the Darkness tour were in smaller venues with good acoustics. But I don't know that is true.

Which makes the Largo 1980 DVD really important, as it is the only known video in decent quality from The River tour (or was, as we now have the Tempe DVD).

Wow!! That's kind of disappointing but i'm really glad with what we have. I hope to eventually get the the '81 Vietnam show but that may not even be included in the River tour. Very good point about the size of the venues too. For example, I don't think the Fox theater holds much more than a couple thousand. 

17 hours ago, rachelharms said:

It was really interesting because watching the videos of it you wouldn't think that that's what was going on with Bruce (way to be vague haha!) was actually happening. I know. I love the Detroit Medley from that show so much, and the Jungleland.. And the Kitty's Back... So basically all of it.. I think I spend way too much of my time watching tour videos if I'm honest. I think after the first show back in the US it just made me think wow why would I sleep when I could witness this?! I have no regrets although I did spend a while recuperating :mellow:

Yeah you're the same as me then, I think that's the section that I keep going back to as well. Hahahah that's what I like to hear!!!

I've just came out of a WIESS phase and jumped straight into a Nebraska one. I'm the same with Reason To a Believe although Open All Night was one of the first Bruce songs I fell in love with. I'm so glad it was left recorded the way it was too, it just adds a whole other depth to it. Ah thank you! I'll listen to it now.. Much preferred to the album version

I think I know exactly what you mean, because the same thing happened to me. Do you mean when you listen to the live audio of something, in your mind you're picturing something but then when you watched the actual video it's not what you expected? Haha I go on and on and on like that with Hammersmith and a few other favorite shows. It's like every song is just THAT good. You need to snap out of that attitude!! There's no possible way to watch too much tour videos! Haha. Good outlook, no regrets with that night. If you did go to sleep and miss it then you might've regretted not seeing it and sleeping.

Absolutely, it's all interesting but specifically that stuff is what I want most. As well as hearing some intimate moments with band members that I've started to hear bits and pieces of. Like I had the Sirius station on and they were talking about the chapter when Steven Van Zandt was departing from the band and when he and Bruce were in a hotel room. Something like that and how emotional it was. Looking forward to getting to that! And maybe other things equally as emotional. 

I think I've been on a WIESS phase for the past 6 months! Between the studio and mixing and combining live versions here and there making a full live WIESS mix. That's a very unique song to be the first to fall in love with! It has a kind up an upbeat feel with the guitar and rhythm that adds a lot to the album. Now I've been binging on the 1990 Christic songs. I used to not be able to get through studio 57 channels, but that solo piano one is great. I just listened to it again and I really liked it. He introduces it as the song that's "the real me and actual life". I noticed some lyrical changes as well. It doesn't sound nearly as outdated either.

15 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

I don't think the Fox theater holds much more than a couple thousand. 

I think Roxy and Agora both are (were?) venues with a less than 1,000 capacity.

• Like 1

On 17 October 2016 at 6:44 AM, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

I think I know exactly what you mean, because the same thing happened to me. Do you mean when you listen to the live audio of something, in your mind you're picturing something but then when you watched the actual video it's not what you expected? Haha I go on and on and on like that with Hammersmith and a few other favorite shows. It's like every song is just THAT good. You need to snap out of that attitude!! There's no possible way to watch too much tour videos! Haha. Good outlook, no regrets with that night. If you did go to sleep and miss it then you might've regretted not seeing it and sleeping.

Absolutely, it's all interesting but specifically that stuff is what I want most. As well as hearing some intimate moments with band members that I've started to hear bits and pieces of. Like I had the Sirius station on and they were talking about the chapter when Steven Van Zandt was departing from the band and when he and Bruce were in a hotel room. Something like that and how emotional it was. Looking forward to getting to that! And maybe other things equally as emotional. 

I think I've been on a WIESS phase for the past 6 months! Between the studio and mixing and combining live versions here and there making a full live WIESS mix. That's a very unique song to be the first to fall in love with! It has a kind up an upbeat feel with the guitar and rhythm that adds a lot to the album. Now I've been binging on the 1990 Christic songs. I used to not be able to get through studio 57 channels, but that solo piano one is great. I just listened to it again and I really liked it. He introduces it as the song that's "the real me and actual life". I noticed some lyrical changes as well. It doesn't sound nearly as outdated either.

Yes!!!!! That's it!! I feel like watching the Hammersmith videos is so different to actually listening to it. It's strange. But at least it's not just me that thinks that! Hahahaha well, I've kind of forgotten what life was like before I discovered all the amazing tour/alternate version videos. What did I used to do with my life? Yeah there was one night where I was so unbelievably tired and I fell asleep just before it began and I was so gutted after I saw the setlist in the morning. Also, it's no fun missing out on a setlistvision!!! 

Yeah I'm pretty sure I cried at the part with Steve. But then again, I cried over 90% of the book... There's a part about Clarence, not sure if you're there yet, that made me weep. I think I might get emotional thinking about it haha. Have you gotten far through the book yet?

Well, WIESS is an incredible album so there's nothing wrong with that. There's loadssssss of versions of WIESS songs on YouTube that I love so I know what you mean. Yeah I'm not sure what it is, I think it just makes me want to pick up a guitar and join in really. (If only I could). I like the tempo and Bruce's voice in it. It's one of those songs that I'll never ever skip. Some of the Christic versions I'd have to say are a lot better than album versions. I'd kill to have been at one of those shows  

On 10/18/2016 at 10:23 AM, rachelharms said:

Yes!!!!! That's it!! I feel like watching the Hammersmith videos is so different to actually listening to it. It's strange. But at least it's not just me that thinks that! Hahahaha well, I've kind of forgotten what life was like before I discovered all the amazing tour/alternate version videos. What did I used to do with my life? Yeah there was one night where I was so unbelievably tired and I fell asleep just before it began and I was so gutted after I saw the setlist in the morning. Also, it's no fun missing out on a setlistvision!!! 

Yeah I'm pretty sure I cried at the part with Steve. But then again, I cried over 90% of the book... There's a part about Clarence, not sure if you're there yet, that made me weep. I think I might get emotional thinking about it haha. Have you gotten far through the book yet?

Well, WIESS is an incredible album so there's nothing wrong with that. There's loadssssss of versions of WIESS songs on YouTube that I love so I know what you mean. Yeah I'm not sure what it is, I think it just makes me want to pick up a guitar and join in really. (If only I could). I like the tempo and Bruce's voice in it. It's one of those songs that I'll never ever skip. Some of the Christic versions I'd have to say are a lot better than album versions. I'd kill to have been at one of those shows  

Haha then yes, I can totally relate! I'm glad I'm not the only person who has a minor Bruce Springsteen YouTube video addiction. It's like I can't just watch one! Once I have just one I blackout and don't know what happens! Hours pass without noticing. Haha just joking but really I could easily watch tons of them one after another. By the way since you brought up the alternates, have you heard the Nebraska lost masters? It's called Alone In Colts Neck and I'm pretty sure it's on the tube. It's cool to hear the outtakes that didn't make Nebraska as well as the songs that ended up on BitUSA as total different sounding songs. Aw that's too bad but I know you must've made up for it! I'm counting down until the next set of shows come for the new setlistvisions!

Yeah the hearing about it was a good little teaser of what is to come! I can't wait to get to it. I've yet to hit a part that is weep-fest inducing but I don't doubt one bit that it'll happen. But oh wow 90% is a lot! Letting it all out is a good thing though. Haha I feel like I've been slacking in my reading because I'm a little over a 100 pages so about a fifth through but I know I'm going to hit a point where I read a 100 pages a day until it's over.

For sure there is so much WIESS stuff to choose from. One great performance, among many others, this past tour is the song Sandy at Foxboro that I really love. That has spiced up my mixes. I feel like I refrain myself from listening to more Born to Run but rather pull it out less often and cherish it. That's always a great feeling to have about a song! I don't know why it doesn't get more live play. No doubt about some of the christic versions being better. In some of the songs, some of the Christic takes even challenge the studio versions of the legendary songs. Like Tenth Avenue, Darkness, and Tougher than the Rest. I love how he takes a single songs and completely recreates it. Like Real World, When the Lights Go Out is stunning on the piano but the studio didn't even make the cut for HT. I know right, especially during a time he hadn't toured for a couple years and it being played in a relatively small venue. 

13 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

Haha then yes, I can totally relate! I'm glad I'm not the only person who has a minor Bruce Springsteen YouTube video addiction. It's like I can't just watch one! Once I have just one I blackout and don't know what happens! Hours pass without noticing. Haha just joking but really I could easily watch tons of them one after another. By the way since you brought up the alternates, have you heard the Nebraska lost masters? It's called Alone In Colts Neck and I'm pretty sure it's on the tube. It's cool to hear the outtakes that didn't make Nebraska as well as the songs that ended up on BitUSA as total different sounding songs. Aw that's too bad but I know you must've made up for it! I'm counting down until the next set of shows come for the new setlistvisions!

Yeah the hearing about it was a good little teaser of what is to come! I can't wait to get to it. I've yet to hit a part that is weep-fest inducing but I don't doubt one bit that it'll happen. But oh wow 90% is a lot! Letting it all out is a good thing though. Haha I feel like I've been slacking in my reading because I'm a little over a 100 pages so about a fifth through but I know I'm going to hit a point where I read a 100 pages a day until it's over.

For sure there is so much WIESS stuff to choose from. One great performance, among many others, this past tour is the song Sandy at Foxboro that I really love. That has spiced up my mixes. I feel like I refrain myself from listening to more Born to Run but rather pull it out less often and cherish it. That's always a great feeling to have about a song! I don't know why it doesn't get more live play. No doubt about some of the christic versions being better. In some of the songs, some of the Christic takes even challenge the studio versions of the legendary songs. Like Tenth Avenue, Darkness, and Tougher than the Rest. I love how he takes a single songs and completely recreates it. Like Real World, When the Lights Go Out is stunning on the piano but the studio didn't even make the cut for HT. I know right, especially during a time he hadn't toured for a couple years and it being played in a relatively small venue. 

is alone at colds neck different to how Nebraska waa born ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RagamuffinGunner1 said:

Just watching one seems like a crime! Hahahaha! No I dont think I have, I'll look now though. I lose track of what I have and haven't heard... I'm longing for more shows and the scramble for tickets and the booking of hotels and the queue forming.. I miss it all :lol: 

Maybe you're not as emotional as some of us but you'll certainly get there! You're definitely pacing yourself more than I did. I think I'd read 300 pages after 2 days which was awful of me since one of them was my birthday haha!! Bruce comes first.  You'll probably take in a lot more than I did reading it slowly though. 

I've been loving Sandy lately. Especially after reading something about it in the book. That's exactly what I'm like with BTR. I'll only listen to the song every once in a while but still after all these years it never loses its magic. 

I love his reinvention of his own songs. Always fond of him doing solo versions too. I actually really like the studio version of When The Lights Go Out but a piano version sounds lovely. So I'll add that to my listen to list. I think my love for his solo versions of his songs are one of the reasons why I want to see him on a solo tour so much. I'm glad I saw a stripped back version of the ESB but I wanna see Bruce on his own just once !!