Greasy Lake Community

Which Bruce song are you listening to right now?

15 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

My all-time favorite version of Darkness.

The angriest he's ever sounded on this song that I've heard.

In this maelstrom of live version of Springsteen, i , just like the Hero of Poes great novel, hold on to something that was sucked in the turmoil, in this case, the album versions, which in my view nearly always surpasses the live versions, even if they are as good as this one.

6 minutes ago, ulfhpersson said:

In this maelstrom of live version of Springsteen, i , just like the Hero of Poes great novel, hold on to something that was sucked in the turmoil, in this case, the album versions, witch in my view nearly always surpasses the live versions, even if they are as good as this one.

I think, as superb as the Darkness album was - one of my all-time favorite albums - that all the songs on it were much better on the Darkness tour - save Something In The Night, a perfect studio recording. (Of course, he barely did that live then, but even take it from another tour - it can't compare. And only Factory got better for the next tour, in terms of starkness; then they all went downhill live even if exciting when there or moving and great listening to, etc, from the '78 versions). i.e. Bruce is almost always better live, IMO.

• Like 2

Now here's a song I think was never bettered live (not the couple times I got to see it, though it was thrilling - and others may feel the time they saw it that it was better when they did) because if Bruce only had done this on The River tour, if the album was different.

Or Where The Bands Are - or any song that was an outtake from then that was performed later on. I can only imagine the '80-'81 versions, how they would have sounded.

Shot by both sides

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Ind only Factory got better for the next tour, in terms of starkness; then they all went downhill live even if exciting when there or moving and great listening to, etc, from the '78 versions).

An interesting point and you could be right about Factory.

Otherwise, EVERYTHING...well you know.:P-OK, more serious, some versions from Racing In The Street from The River Tour are really very great, maybe better as in 1978. Maybe more in 1981 as in 1980, after Racing In The Street had moved from 1st to 2nd set.

Also interesting what you say about Something In The Night, even if I maybe do not agree with it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

Also interesting what you say about Something In The Night, even if I maybe do not agree with it.

well I should not include the ones he did in '76 or '77. I see now I wrote that differently.

ironically the song I need to hear now...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

This is a good example of what i tried to say, even if i was a bit categorial, and perhaps even more than little. And perhaps its not even a good idea to use a word like "better" in this case: songs played live are versions created not only to be a presentation of a song, but also to involve a live audience, to create that deep connection. But that also means that the live versions like the above one tends to be not as subtle and economic as the album versions, that is, of course, in my humble opinion. Of course i to are happy that we have all these versions, i only wanted to point out, that there are qualities in the album versions, that get lost in the live versions, and that this neccesarily is so, just like i write coarser in english than i do in swedish, if you see what i mean.