Greasy Lake Community

What's I'm On Fire about?

Is there anything more to it than that? This has always seemed fairly sinister to me:

Hey little girl is your daddy home
Did he go away and leave you all alone
I got a bad desire
Oh, oh, oh I'm on fire

It's about Bruce getting a new job as an auto mechanic and fixing a married rich babe's car and delivering it to her house and refusing her implied promise of sexualization.

It's all on the official song video.
Man I love this song. I find it hard to explain what I think about it. Here's what I think:

It's about passion, and not the good kind (definitely not a love song). The man's desire is bred not from love but rather from anger and frustration. He takes his negative emotion and lets it loose as something different, lust. Have you ever felt so disgusted and angry with yourself or the people around you that you want to explode and get rid of it all? That is what I'm On Fire is. I guess a good comparison would be to Reno, only instead of that man's sadness and loss he has potent negative emotions.

That's my interpretation. I've felt that way more than once and my reaction was as such, so when I first heard the song I "knew" what it was about. Especially when I heard Bruce's intros to the song from '85. It just reinforces my interpretation.
QUOTE (Daskill @ May 14 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (HeroOfVirtue @ May 15 2009, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P.S: Not pedophilia.

What makes you say that?

It just isn't. I don't know how else to say it. This would mean that every other song ever with a singer referring to his "little girl" or being a "daddy" is about pedophilia. It's just wrong. I hate saying interpretations are wrong, but I just can't see any reason to see it that way.
Well, the lyrics make a pretty strong case for it. I don't know if it was what Bruce intended, but I don't think he would be against exploring such a controversial topic with his music.
QUOTE (Daskill @ May 14 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, the lyrics make a pretty strong case for it. I don't know if it was what Bruce intended, but I don't think he would be against exploring such a controversial topic with his music.

WRONG. Sorry to be so blunt - but about 25 years ago (when that song came out) Bruce was catching all kinds of flack from feminists who were upset about his referring to grown women as "baby" or "little girl".

That's all. Stand down. Resume bashing ticketdisaster.

I don't think it was intended to be quite THAT literal. I've actually thought the video fairly captured the song's outer meaning rather well. A young man lusting after another man's woman.
QUOTE (Daskill @ May 15 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never been entirely sure. Anyone know?

--------------------------------

"Well she was just 17...you know what I mean......and the way she looked was way beyond compare" .....yup, some naughty beasts from Liverpool just saw her standing there

"Sweet Little Sixteen"....tight dresses and lipstick... wink.gif ....I mean there is a reason why Chuck Berry didn't write it about "Sweet Little Thirty Nine" blink.gif
QUOTE (Earthslayer @ May 15 2009, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Daskill @ May 15 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never been entirely sure. Anyone know?

--------------------------------

"Well she was just 17...you know what I mean......and the way she looked was way beyond compare" .....yup, some naughty beasts from Liverpool just saw her standing there

"Sweet Little Sixteen"....tight dresses and lipstick... wink.gif ....I mean there is a reason why Chuck Berry didn't write it about "Sweet Little Thirty Nine" blink.gif

Well of course not, MILF's hadn't been invented yet
Well with art, it's always up to the viewer/listener to interpret the message. So if you, the listener want to read something into the song, go ahead but don't assume that was the writer's intention.

I agree with the view that the song is about lust. When Springsteen sings it, he sounds like a man about to burst with barely contained desire. I've never really read any deeper meaning into it, the song is pretty simple but it works.
QUOTE (GRACELD99 @ May 15 2009, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WRONG. Sorry to be so blunt - but about 25 years ago (when that song came out) Bruce was catching all kinds of flack from feminists who were upset about his referring to grown women as "baby" or "little girl".

I just heard of this craziness recently and I can't get even get started on the absurdity of it. as JB said, there are such things as turns of phrases. gawd.

and great toone I'm On Fire is.
QUOTE (Daskill @ May 15 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there anything more to it than that? This has always seemed fairly sinister to me:

I got a bad desire
Oh, oh, oh I'm on fire

What's sinister!!!?

He's lusting after another man's woman - in a BIG way!!?

The "little girl" reference (as mentioned by others) is a phrase he uses........a LOT......but it does not refer to "little" girls :

Little girl I wanna marry you.........

I blew that camero off my back and I drove that little girl away.........

even when asking others to sing his lyrics! :

This little girl is mine................

etc, etc, etc (I'm sure we could dig up lots more "little girl" references)

but the other side to your worries of anything sinister - "is your daddy home, did he go away and leave you all alone".........this is not daddy as in someone's "Father", ie. a Father/Daughter thing (which is where I think you are going with this!?) - her "daddy" is a reference to her "man" - just as in Racing in the Street he, (or the character in the song) has become the daddy as in "she sit's on the porch of her daddy's house" because the lines before it tell you that they now live together as in "when I come home the house is dark she sighs baby did you make it alright"..........so when the term "little girl" is used it is a term of affection for a female (adult) and the term "daddy" is sometimes used to reference a female's (adult) partner / love interest.

NOTHING sinister whatsoever to worry about........enjoy yhe song with a clear conscience for what it is about............painful lust!!!!!
QUOTE (Daskill @ May 14 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

c'mon, you're just trying to stir up shit right....i mean you can't be this dumb can you?
QUOTE (BruceWho @ May 15 2009, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Daskill @ May 15 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got a bad desire
Oh, oh, oh I'm on fire

What's sinister!!!?

He's lusting after another man's woman - in a BIG way!!?

The "little girl" reference (as mentioned by others) is a phrase he uses........a LOT......but it does not refer to "little" girls :

Little girl I wanna marry you.........

I blew that camero off my back and I drove that little girl away.........

even when asking others to sing his lyrics! :

This little girl is mine................

etc, etc, etc (I'm sure we could dig up lots more "little girl" references)

but the other side to your worries of anything sinister - "is your daddy home, did he go away and leave you all alone".........this is not daddy as in someone's "Father", ie. a Father/Daughter thing (which is where I think you are going with this!?) - her "daddy" is a reference to her "man" - just as in Racing in the Street he, (or the character in the song) has become the daddy as in "she sit's on the porch of her daddy's house" because the lines before it tell you that they now live together as in "when I come home the house is dark she sighs baby did you make it alright"..........so when the term "little girl" is used it is a term of affection for a female (adult) and the term "daddy" is sometimes used to reference a female's (adult) partner / love interest.

NOTHING sinister whatsoever to worry about........enjoy the song with a clear conscience for what it is about............painful lust!!!!!

*** As a P.S. to my own post here - what's even worse (about thinking anything "sinister") is that if you really felt that this was a "little" girl so to speak, and that her "daddy" was her father perhaps?, then aside from thinking that the character being bang out of order for his own desires "anyway" he would also be suggesting that her father was abusing her as well!!!!!???, as in the 2nd verse where he suggests that "he" would be better than him and would take her higher etc etc...........if ever you needed confirmation of HOW off track you are with this there you have it!?

Archived