Greasy Lake Community

Lovers in the Cold

thundercrack83

Intro C G C F C G F G (Think the outro of Thunder Road, only in C instead of F)

C G
Oh Billy stares at Cherry in the hall
C F
And walks out into the rain so blessed and tall
C G
Standin' on the corner with a gun underneath his coat
F G
Beneath the stars on the street
C G
Oh on Lexington Avenue they stand
C F
Velvet aces they case the promised land
C G
Reachin' out across the hoods with both hands
F G
Oh, tryin' to catch a ride

C C/B Am G F G
Tonight we're lovers in the cold, oh, oh, oh
C C/B Am G F G
Running past the graveyards in the snow, no, no, no
C C/B Am G F G
Walking in the street with nowhere to go
F G
And it's no, no, no, no, no

Oh and the getaway driver waits outside the store
He pulls away just as Billy runs out the door
Oh and Billy won't run anymore, no, no, no
Oh baby I can't lay the stars at your feet
Oh but I think we could take it all, just you and me
Oh come on, you'll see, there's a lot of room
For you baby, in this front seat
Tonight we're lovers on that road, oh, oh, oh
Running past the graveyards in the snow, oh, oh, oh
Walking in the street with nowhere to go, oh, oh, oh
And it's oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Tonight we're lovers in the snow, oh, oh, oh
Running past the graveyards, no, no, no
Walking in the street with n

• 2 weeks later...
Great post Thundercrack83!! I love figuring out the unreleased stuff - I will try to post Lonely Night In The Park soon...

The only changes I would make are to the lyrics: I would bet that "Cherry" is really "Terry" which would be Bruce's choice of names in the mid '70's, I think the recording is just kind of clipped... and the line "Beneath the stars on the street" is really "Feels a Stiletto on his Throat"... cool!

Remember Cherry was mentioned in 'Meeting Across the River'-- I always thought that was the name in this song as well.

And incidentally (and I do not trust myself on this), I always thought that in the second line of the verse (eg, 'And walks out into the rain so blessed and cold') that it went C-F-G. Same goes for the fourth line of the verse ('Beneath the stars in the street').

Now playing it to myself, I can't tell which sounds better. Huh.

Thanks for your input! I, too, love trying to figure these songs out! They're so good, they have to be played.

As for the lyrics, I just copied them from somewhere on the Internet for placeholders to follow along, so they're almost certainly wrong in places. For the verses, I hear exactly the same progression as the saxophone solo at the end of "Thunder Road" (F-C-F-Bb-F-C-Bb-C), only in C rather than F, so C-G-C-F-C-G-F-G). The first time I really listened to this song, I could hear Clarence's sax playing that solo over the beginning.

I hope that makes my interpretation make a bit more sense! Sorry for the mix-ups!

QUOTE (thundercrack83 @ Jul 7 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your input! I, too, love trying to figure these songs out! They're so good, they have to be played.

As for the lyrics, I just copied them from somewhere on the Internet for placeholders to follow along, so they're almost certainly wrong in places. For the verses, I hear exactly the same progression as the saxophone solo at the end of "Thunder Road" (F-C-F-Bb-F-C-Bb-C), only in C rather than F, so C-G-C-F-C-G-F-G). The first time I really listened to this song, I could hear Clarence's sax playing that solo over the beginning.

I hope that makes my interpretation make a bit more sense! Sorry for the mix-ups!

I think your interpretation totally makes sense, so I hope I didn't sound like I was condemning your version or anything. I'm not great at figuring things out yet, so I imagine your version is a lot more accurate than mine:)

The first time I heard Lovers in the Cold it sounded so similar to Thunder Road to me I couldn't get over it. I agree-- I totally hear Clarence's sax to this day when I hear that song.

Incidentally, I think Clarence's solo on Lovers in the Cold is among his best. He just nails it.

Archived