Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mission Man in AZ

"The Damned United"

I saw this the other evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it a captivating psychological study of a man possessed by ambition while suffering from narcissism. Michael Sheen was absolutely fookin' brilliant (again, he's been brilliant in everything I've seen him in).

Being a relatively new football fan, I was somewhat unaware of the history behind this movie. Absolutely fascinating, so I ordered the book from Amazon.

Just curious what you lot overseas thought of the movie -- after all, you're much more familiar with the subject and saga than I....

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91wSupNlkDL._AA1500_.jpg[/img]

I havent seen this as we dont get non blockbuster movies here or in the video store so maybe ill get to see it when i'm back in blighty at xmas

I thought it was a fantastic film, Sheen was outstanding B)

Its a must see for football fans IMO.
Brian Clough was/is a football legend B)

Brian Clough quotes B)

Beckham? His wife can't sing and his barber can't cut hair.

Don't send me flowers when I'm dead. If you like me, send them while I'm alive.

I like my women to be feminine, not sliding into tackles and covered in mud.

I want no epitaphs of profound history and all that type of thing. I contributed. I would hope they would say that, and I would hope somebody liked me.

I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one.

I've decided to pick my moment to retire very carefully - in about 200 years time.

If a chairman sacks the manager he initially appointed, he should go as well.

On occasions I have been big-headed. I think most people are when they get in the limelight. I call myself Big Head just to remind myself not to be.

Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.

Telling the entire world and his dog how good a manager I was. I knew I was the best but I should have said nowt and kept the pressure off 'cos they'd have worked it out for themselves.

That Seaman is a handsome young man but he spends too much time looking in his mirror rather than at the ball. You can't keep goal with hair like that.

The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.

They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job.

Walk on water? I know most people out there will be saying that instead of walking on it, I should have taken more of it with my drinks. They are absolutely right.

We used to go to the pictures every Saturday night but we had to leave a little bit early and get home and watch Match of the Day - and my wife still complains she missed the last five minutes of every film we saw.

When I go, God's going to have to give up his favourite chair.

When you get to a certain age, there is no coming back.

Who the hell wants fourteen pairs of shoes when they go on holiday? I haven't had fourteen pairs in my life.
[url="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/briancloug181422.html"]
[/url]

Great film. Watched it quite recently on DVD. Michael Sheen played him to perfection.

Old Big 'ead. :lol: He was a one-off.

Enjoyable film but as with most not entirely accurate - artisitc licence.

[quote name='Mission Man in AZ' timestamp='1285958748' post='1953146']
I saw this the other evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it a captivating psychological study of a man possessed by ambition while suffering from narcissism. Michael Sheen was absolutely fookin' brilliant (again, he's been brilliant in everything I've seen him in).

Being a relatively new football fan, I was somewhat unaware of the history behind this movie. Absolutely fascinating, so I ordered the book from Amazon.

Just curious what you lot overseas thought of the movie -- after all, you're much more familiar with the subject and saga than I....

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91wSupNlkDL._AA1500_.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I got to meet the author this Spring. He was actually talking about GB84, his book about the Miners Strike that started the same year. He wandered off topic to discuss the Damned United book. David Peace is a Huddersfield Town fan and it seems that Huddersfield Town bookended Clough's Leeds United realm as they provided the opposition for his first game in charge as a pre-season friendly and then his last match in a League Cup encounter.

The movie was not quite to David Peace's taste and does differ from the film in the way some of the protagonists are portrayed. The book is more about Clough, attempting to get inside his mind probably why Clough's widow objected to the book. Johnny Giles wasn't happy about the book either and successfully got some of the book rewritten at the same time the film was being shot so there was hasty script revision there too.

There are a number of inaccuracies in the film but Michael Sheen's accent and mannerisms are Brian Clough to a tee!!

Very enjoyable, but as the previous poster said plenty poetic licence.
The book is a totally different thing. It's very dark.
A lot of the folks in it, and Clough and Taylor's family, were talking legal action over the book.
Whatever the rights and wrongs, it's superbly written.

Fantastic movie about a fantastic person/manager!

How much truth is it in the Derby-Leeds game before the european cup semi-final? Were Leeds-players injuring Derby-players deliberately?

[quote name='Orakelet' timestamp='1286010158' post='1953332']
Were Leeds-players injuring Derby-players deliberately?
[/quote]

Of course.....but they did that every game. LUFC in the early 70's were the dirtiest side ever....made the Dutch WC Final team look like a bunch of angels :)

[quote name='C4G' timestamp='1286017015' post='1953367']
[/quote]

Of course.....but they did that every game. LUFC in the early 70's were the dirtiest side ever....made the Dutch WC Final team look like a bunch of angels :)
[/quote]

Dirty Leeds !! :o Thats when you could tackle, get tackled, get stright up and on with it not like the soft vastly overpaid buggers in todays game.

Who was that Liverpool player that had Billy Bremner by his shirt collar in the charity sheild? And who was the Liverpool hard man in that era?

the Mighty Reds player you are thinking of is probably kevin keegan he and bremner were sent off in the charity shield - Liverpool had of course just defated Toon in the F.A cup final ( I had to mention that) :D

Of course. Who was the hard man Tommy? .....

[quote name='Tim1' timestamp='1286031388' post='1953414']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dirty Leeds !! :o Thats when you could tackle, get tackled, get stright up and on with it not like the soft vastly overpaid buggers in todays game.

Who was that Liverpool player that had Billy Bremner by his shirt collar in the charity sheild? And who was the Liverpool hard man in that era?
[/quote]

Was it Tommy Smith?

[/quote]

There was hard and there was hard & clean......and there was dirty Leeds. I remember. :)

Not that they didn't have some top players.

Strange how George Best got national abuse for dying of drink at 59 while Billy Bremner, a great adversary of his, died at 44 from smoking without any sermons from on high. It seems that some poisons are more ok than others.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think its fair to call that Leeds team dirty, they were hard and tackles were borderline sometimes, but that's what football was like in the 70s, Leeds were just the best at it.

[quote name='C4G' timestamp='1286034579' post='1953424']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Was it Tommy Smith?
[/quote]
Thats him, thanks that would have been bugging me for ages

Johnny Giles has said that he is "not proud" of some of the dirt he dished out in his Leeds days. And he was the classy ball player in their midfield v Bremner. Giles was one of the greatest passers of a ball ever, but he admits what he did and the game was rougher then.

Dave Mackay (who Cloughie goes to sign from Tottenham in the film) sorting Billy Bremner out. I LOVE this photo!!

[img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/14/article-1094645-0007DBD700000258-2_468x323.jpg[/img]

I met Cloughie in 1975, and he called me "Young man".....happy days!!

[quote name='captain timber' timestamp='1286061029' post='1953526']
Dave Mackay (who Cloughie goes to sign from Tottenham in the film) sorting Billy Bremner out. I LOVE this photo!!

[img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/14/article-1094645-0007DBD700000258-2_468x323.jpg[/img]

I met Cloughie in 1975, and he called me "Young man".....happy days!!
[/quote]

Great photo!! I bet the ref just gave them a "talking-to"...

Great film mand a superb book, was reading it in the queue for the pit at Dublin last year. Ok, so not 100% accurate, but good enough to get the idea over.

Brian Clough's son Nigel is manager of Derby County now, and when they played at Leeds earlier this season he made the players get off the team coach and walk the last 100 yards into Elland Road.

I liked the book better than the film (quite enjoyable though). Being born in 1968, I only remembered Clough from his Nottingham Forest days. And was never aware of what a big mouth he was. A friend of mine lent me the book last year, and I discovered the Clough character. A highly recommended read.

[quote name='C4G' timestamp='1286034579' post='1953424']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Was it Tommy Smith?
[/quote]

It was Keegan that Bremner had a rammy with in the Charity Shield, they both got sent off and tossed their shirts, got lengthy bans as well.
The above picture with Dave MacKay is the famous one.
Now there was a hard man.
Story that he broke a leg one time and finished the game.