Greasy Lake Community

This New Thing I've Found

Peter

But then again, that tape wasn't auctioned (and hyped) on ebay, it seems worn, and the cassette itself is obviously VERY old (the more recent ones are made from different material) and has "Hecho en Venezuela" on the plastic.

BTR

Ok... this changes everything. Do we know if it's the same seller that sold the "Tunnel Of Love" and "Atlantic City" 45's?

This arrived in the post today:

Lovely, lovely, lovely. It must be legit and very rare. Peter, I think this should be featured on LITF.

Very nice, no doubt, but how do we know it's genuine?

Because it's an old cassette with some signs of wear, and one would fake an album and not a single, right?

Not sure what you mean by faking an album and not a single, but I certainly have my doubts about CBS Venezuela having issued a promo cassette single (!) back in 1975. :unsure:

Maybe I should've used the term "unofficially releasing" and not "faking".

In 1975, one would issue a pirated copy of the Born To Run album (and not a single) to make money. If a CASSETTE single was released in 1975 (or anytime pre-internet), then it must be genuine because no one would bother unofficially releasing such a thing.

However, it would be a totally different story if this was faked recently, like the Venezuelan "Tunnel Of Love" 7-inch (if that's really a fake). Yes, an obscure single (not an album) would make money if aimed at the collector market.

But then again, that tape wasn't auctioned (and hyped) on ebay, it seems worn, and the cassette itself is obviously VERY old (the more recent ones are made from different material) and has "Hecho en Venezuela" on the plastic.

Don't get me wrong; I really do hope it IS genuine, because Anthony would have scored a major (and previously undocumented) rarity then. Still, my doubts remain, and it's the cassette single format that strikes me as particularly odd. I just don't know.

This arrived in the post today:

Lovely, lovely, lovely. It must be legit and very rare. Peter, I think this should be featured on LITF.

Very nice, no doubt, but how do we know it's genuine?

Because it's an old cassette with some signs of wear, and one would fake an album and not a single, right?

Not sure what you mean by faking an album and not a single, but I certainly have my doubts about CBS Venezuela having issued a promo cassette single (!) back in 1975. :unsure:

Maybe I should've used the term "unofficially releasing" and not "faking".

In 1975, one would issue a pirated copy of the Born To Run album (and not a single) to make money. If a CASSETTE single was released in 1975 (or anytime pre-internet), then it must be genuine because no one would bother unofficially releasing such a thing.

However, it would be a totally different story if this was faked recently, like the Venezuelan "Tunnel Of Love" 7-inch (if that's really a fake). Yes, an obscure single (not an album) would make money if aimed at the collector market.

Don't get me wrong; I really do hope it IS genuine, because Anthony would have scored a major (and previously undocumented) rarity then. Still, my doubts remain, and it's the cassette single format that strikes me as particularly odd. I just don't know.

I think Peter is right in questioning the authenticity based on the fact that cassette singles were not introduced really until the very early 80's. Of course that doesn't mean CBS Venezuela didn't come up with the idea 5 years prior and issue a promo. It just seems odd. Radio stations back then would be playing vinyl so a promo tape would serve no purpose that I can think of.

On the other hand, the item looks both genuine AND vintage. Eddy is right that the cassette housing is obviously old, and I must say if the item is a fake, the artwork came out perfect!

Let the debate begin.

Tim

"Hungry Heart"/"Held Up Without A Gun" U.S. 7" pressed on translucent dark red vinyl - a nice and generous gift from my good friend Tim, and the 170th 7" single to enter my collection.

Thanks again, Tim! :)

No problem, Peter. Now I think we should do some research and find out how many variations there are of the US HH single and Fade Away single. Are there both black and red versions of both the stock and promo copies for both titles? maybe this should have its own thread?

I have the following :

HH / Held Up (USA white label promo, black)

HH / Held Up (USA stock picture sleeve, red)

HH / Fade Away (USA grey label Hall Of Fame, red)

Fade Away / Be True (Canada Hall Of Fame, black)

Fade Away / Be True (USA stock, red)

Fade Away / To Be True (USA stock, red)

HH / Fade Away (USA grey label Collectables series, black)

...'cause tramps like us keep on rockin' . . . Jyrki

And I have:

HH / Held Up (USA white label promo, red)

HH / Fade Away (USA red label Hall Of Fame, red)

Fade Away / To Be True (USA white label promo, red)

Fade Away / To Be True (USA white label promo, black)

I also checked all my "Hall Of Fame" singles and almost all of them are on the dark red vinyl. Others are on a grape/purple-ish vinyl. Also my "Blinded By The Light" WLP is red! I'm thinking that maybe one pressing plant in the US used this dark red translucent vinyl and the others used black? This will drive me crazy now, looking for both colors of the early singles!

Any input from other 7" collectors will be welcome!

Tim

"Hungry Heart"/"Held Up Without A Gun" U.S. 7" pressed on translucent dark red vinyl - a nice and generous gift from my good friend Tim, and the 170th 7" single to enter my collection.

No problem, Peter. Now I think we should do some research and find out how many variations there are of the US HH single and Fade Away single. Are there both black and red versions of both the stock and promo copies for both titles? maybe this should have its own thread?

I have the following :

And I have:

I also checked all my "Hall Of Fame" singles and almost all of them are on the dark red vinyl. Others are on a grape/purple-ish vinyl. Also my "Blinded By The Light" WLP is red! I'm thinking that maybe one pressing plant in the US used this dark red translucent vinyl and the others used black? This will drive me crazy now, looking for both colors of the early singles!

Tim

Looks like you've opened a can of worms here, Tim... :unsure:

I'll check my own copies over this weekend.

I have the following :

And I have:

Tim

Looks like you've opened a can of worms here, Tim... :unsure:

I'll check my own copies over this weekend.

can-of-worms.jpg:lol:

Let the debate begin.

Those debates bring headache... I'm out ;)

No way. Research it! ;)

I already wrote a whole paragraph based on wrong assumptions ("that tape wasn't auctioned and hyped on ebay"...)

No, thank you Sir.

Let the debate begin.

No way. Research it! ;)

I already wrote a whole paragraph based on wrong assumptions ("that tape wasn't auctioned and hyped on ebay"...)

So what? I'm wrong most of the time! :unsure:

Let the debate begin.

No way. Research it! ;)

It's not about being wrong.... it's about not reaching any conclusion.

Let the debate begin.

No way. Research it! ;)

It's not about being wrong.... it's about not reaching any conclusion.

You're probably right, Eddy. ;)

I have the following :

And I have:

Tim

How do I check if the record is dark red or black, is it easy?

Should I hold the records in front of a lamp and if I can see through the vinyl it is translucent?

Are there any white label promos from us with HH/Held up, I thought that only copies with Hungry Heart/Hungry Heart was availble, but maybe I'm wrong.

I have following Fade away singles;

Fade Away (Stereo) / Same (Stereo) COL 11-11431 1981 US, White Label Promo/Large Die-cut bag Black

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 US, Orange/Large Picture Sleeve Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 US, Orange/Large Picture Sleeve To Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 US, Orange/Large Die-cut bag Black Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL C4-1080 1983 Canada, Hall of fame Hall of fame bag Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 Canada, Orange/Large Company Sleeve Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 Canada, Orange/Large Picture Sleeve To Be True version

and Following Hungry Heart singles:

Hungry Heart / Fade Away COL 13 03243 1983 US HOF/Grey Label Hall of fame bag Hall Of Fame

Hungry Heart / Fade Away COL 13 03243 1983 US Orange/Large No Sleeve

Hungry Heart (Stereo) / Same (Stereo) COL 11-11391 1980 US White Label Promo/Large Die-cut bag Black

Hungry Heart / Held Up Without A Gun COL 11-11391 1980 US Orange/Large Picture Sleeve

Hungry Heart / Held Up Without A Gun COL 11-11391 1980 Canada Orange/Large Picture Sleeve

I have the following :

And I have:

Tim

How do I check if the record is dark red or black, is it easy?

Should I hold the records in front of a lamp and if I can see through the vinyl it is translucent?

Are there any white label promos from us with HH/Held up, I thought that only copies with Hungry Heart/Hungry Heart was availble, but maybe I'm wrong.

I have following Fade away singles;

Fade Away (Stereo) / Same (Stereo) COL 11-11431 1981 US, White Label Promo/Large Die-cut bag Black

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 US, Orange/Large Picture Sleeve Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 US, Orange/Large Picture Sleeve To Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 US, Orange/Large Die-cut bag Black Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL C4-1080 1983 Canada, Hall of fame Hall of fame bag Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 Canada, Orange/Large Company Sleeve Be True version

Fade Away / Be True COL 11-11431 1981 Canada, Orange/Large Picture Sleeve To Be True version

and Following Hungry Heart singles:

Hungry Heart / Fade Away COL 13 03243 1983 US HOF/Grey Label Hall of fame bag Hall Of Fame

Hungry Heart / Fade Away COL 13 03243 1983 US Orange/Large No Sleeve

Hungry Heart (Stereo) / Same (Stereo) COL 11-11391 1980 US White Label Promo/Large Die-cut bag Black

Hungry Heart / Held Up Without A Gun COL 11-11391 1980 US Orange/Large Picture Sleeve

Hungry Heart / Held Up Without A Gun COL 11-11391 1980 Canada Orange/Large Picture Sleeve

Sorry, that's a typo on my part (and i assume Jyki's part). You are correct that there is only a HH/HH WLP, not a HH/Held Up WLP.

To check the color of the vinyl just hold the disc up to a strong light source (a flashlight works well) and you will see either all black with no translucency or some red color coming through especially at the center dead wax.

I have:

- "Hungry Heart" U.S. stock copy (from Tim): red

- "Fade Away" U.S. first stock pressing ("To Be True" label): red

- "Fade Away" U.S. second stock pressing ("Be True" label): black

- "Fade Away" U.S. white label promo: black

- "Hungry Heart"/"Fade Away" U.S. red label Hall Of Fame reissue: black

- "Hungry Heart"/"Fade Away" U.S. grey label Hall Of Fame reissue: black

Late Night with jimmy Fallon Emmy DVD

LNWJF1023.jpgLNWJF2024.jpg

Fred

WAY cool!! B) This is an official Emmy nomination release, right? I think I may have to change my mind about collecting DVD's after all. Where did you get that, Fred?

Late Night with jimmy Fallon Emmy DVD

Fred

WAY cool!! B) This is an official Emmy nomination release, right? I think I may have to change my mind about collecting DVD's after all. Where did you get that, Fred?

That's what the seller wrote on Ebay :

THESE ARE PROMOTIONAL DVD'S GIVEN TO THE ACADEMY MEMBERS FOR REVIEWING PURPOSES FOR AWARDS CONSIDERATION. THESE DVD'S MAY HAVE A BANNER OR POP UP ON THE SCREEN THAT MAY SOMETHING LIKE "FOR YOUR AWARDS CONSIDERATION" AND OR SOME OTHER STATEMENT.

One more on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=120723967682&si=Q%252BU56hpGdZgcLm78kiGddtaCOnY%253D&viewitem=

But the seller doesn't ship over see.

Watched it yesterday, it was a great show. Bruce was joined by Steeve during the interview and sang "because the night" and "save my love" with Roy Bittan.

Fred